Page 1 of 7

Page 1
Page   of 7
Page 2 Page 7

lola610

IF-Rockerz

lola610

Posted: 02 December 2011 at 4:57pm | IP Logged

Namaskaar, Mytho Masti Sisterhood... err, mahila mandali LOL Welcome to our "Costume Closet". This is an idea that I've had for a while but only now got time to execute... the purpose of this thread is *surprise surprise* to discuss the costumes (including hair, makeup, and jewelry as well) from mythological films and television serials.

----------------------------------------------

The scope of our discussions can include (but are not necessarily limited to):
- identifying each film/serial's signature styles and the particular region/historical period/dance form they appear to have been influenced by
- pointing out repeat costume/jewelry sightings (yes, my specialty LOL)
- fawning our favorites... possibly to keep things organized we can do this color-wise (e.g. your choice for Deepika's best pink costume, Shweta's best yellow, Debina's best red, etc.)
- any other interesting observations you might have made of a sartorial nature

There are just a couple of rules I ask you to observe in order to keep the peace:

- do not get personal in the commentaries, they are to be about the costumes/jewelry/etc not the people wearing them. E.g. absolutely NO "she looked fat in that outfit".
- no cross-comparisons; that is, only compare the ladies (and men, if we go down that road) to themselves (as described above) and not each other. E.g. absolutely NO "who wore it best?" discussions.

and... that's about it! looking forward to some light and frivolous fun with all of you here!

Index:

-Repeat Costumes-

-Color of the day-

-general info-

Edited by lola610 - 08 September 2012 at 11:46pm

The following 11 member(s) liked the above post:

DebipriyaVibhishnaUrmila11.Vrish..anishaa.AishuHiBawariVarnita.Radhikerani-.Aphrodite.-The.Patthaaka...RamKiJanaki..

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "<~~Mytho Masti Costume Closet~~> NEW GAME! Pg. 4" in Mythological Masti forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 02 December 2011 at 9:02pm | IP Logged
^^ Yo, do you have that banner/sig without text? If so, could you put some prettyful text on it and give it to me to use as a sig? :D It's SO cute!!!

lola610

IF-Rockerz

lola610

Posted: 02 December 2011 at 9:19pm | IP Logged
^^ Actually I didn't, but with some blurring and camouflaging, this is what I came up with... whaddaya think Embarrassed And thanks for liking btw, I made it in like 5-6 minutes before dinner LOL

AishuHiBawari

IF-Rockerz

AishuHiBawari

Chidiya Ghar Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 02 December 2011 at 10:53pm | IP Logged
Omg! This is GENIUS!!!!
Big smile Clap
Def will be a hit among us all!

But idk where to start. Kind of a broad topic here. Anyone wanna volunteer?

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

lola610

lola610

IF-Rockerz

lola610

Posted: 02 December 2011 at 11:15pm | IP Logged
^^ I really hope it is, I'm almost as much of a fashion freak as I am a mytho maniac so I, for one, will LOVE if this takes off LOL

Ok, I'll kick it off with RSR since that's the oldest (not including the mytho movies 'cuz there are so many, I don't know which to start with at the moment)...

Basic observations of RSR's signature style:
- V-shaped dupatta over sleeveless blouses, the whole saree used for pleats and always adorned with a fan and kamarbandh, separate dupatta on the head, usually in a light fabric like net, georgette, or chiffon. Colors need not match, and didn't more often than they did.
 - The v-shaped dupatta thing is rarely seen in religious paintings, but less rare in old mytho movies. It appears to have been inspired by the traditional costume worn by Sattriya dancers in Assam, but this is just my guess based on what I've seen... anyone else with info on the origins can please step in and correct me.
Here's a Sattriya costume side by side with
a full-length look of what was worn in RSR:

- they differentiated between royals and commoners by dressing queens, princesses, and members of the court in sarees, while women from the cities and villages wore ghagra cholis. Simple cotton ones for the most part.
- they differentiated between ladies of the northern kingdoms and the ladies of Lanka by having the latter wear their sarees in the contemporary way, pallu over the shoulder instead of the shoulder instead of the v-shaped thing.
- more observations to follow, maybe!

In addition to further observations, y'all can proceed to just dig around for a pic or video clip of your favorite costume from RSR and share it with us along with explanations for what you love about it. If you can't narrow it down to just one, give us a top 3 or top 5 (but no more than 5). Can't wait for your contributions!

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

DebipriyaUrmila11.Vrish.AishuHiBawariThe.Patthaaka...RamKiJanaki..

.Vrish.

Viewbie

.Vrish.

Posted: 04 December 2011 at 10:45am | IP Logged
How about DBSK - Satyabhama's Jhansi ki Rani costume when she went out to war against Narakasura?  Do the rules allow us to compare that costume to whatever she wore when she married Krishna, or can we compare that to anybody e.g. Rukmini's pre-marital outfits? Evil Smile

More seriously, one comment I had was about Sita's crown as shown in RSR - queens didn't wear closed crowns like kings did at the time: if they wore crowns @ all, they probably wore either open crowns like young princes did, or more accurately, they wore head jewelry that left one in no doubt that they were queen of a kingdom.  The crown that Sita wore seemed overkill for a queen.

Other than that, no comments on the attire - I'll leave that you you gentlewomen LOL

Edited by .Vrish. - 04 December 2011 at 10:53am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Debipriyalola610The.Patthaaka.

lola610

IF-Rockerz

lola610

Posted: 04 December 2011 at 11:23am | IP Logged
Vrishter!!! Welcome to the sisterhood Evil SmileLOL Satyabhama's war suit and pagdi cannot be lumped with anything else even from her wardrobe, it was too unique... that being said I think the only semi-accurate costumes worn by the ladies of DBSK thus far were Rukmini's mom's clothes and Priya's Lakshmi saree because they were just that - sarees, and not stitched lehengas which didn't exist at the time. By extension all village belle costumes we've seen on commoners since the mytho movies of the 70s - particularly the Krishna ones - have been anachronistic because they were modern ghagra cholis. And yeah, I figured the same thing about Sita's full crown during the rajyabhishek scenes of both Ramayans - the tiara from other scenes not only looked prettier, it was probably closer to what was really worn. That being said, we do see goddesses wearing full mukuts in devotional paintings - Durga, Saraswati, and even Sita in Ram Darbar paintings:

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

DebipriyaUrmila11.Vrish.The.Patthaaka...RamKiJanaki..

-.Aphrodite.-

IF-Sizzlerz

-.Aphrodite.-

Posted: 04 December 2011 at 11:58am | IP Logged
I haven't seen this topic before...How can this be possible. But Great idea Lola... But I am confused with all the costumes right now LOL

P.S. Lola, I loved the siggie yaar...It's so awesome Day Dreaming

Edited by -.Preet.- - 04 December 2011 at 11:57am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

.Vrish.lola610

Post Reply New Post

Go to top