swordfishh thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 12 years ago
This is a show about middle class parents and their kids in a modern cosmopolitan society.. Yet, the parents' reaction to normal things faced by their kids are a little over the top... Here are a few examples:

1) Raavi was propositioned by a class mate and her mother reacted as if all hell had broken loose and blamed her daughter for "encouraging" him without listening to a single explanation! This is the type of stuff we used to see in movies of the 80's where girls got blamed for attracting guys... On the contrary, most parents are used to their school going children and their friends having girl friends and boyfriends.. Its true many mothers may still not be comfortable with their daughters having boyfriends in school but they hardly scream and blame their daughters just because they got proposed to! Raavi's mother's reaction was completely unlike a modern cosmopolitan mother of today..

2) When Ginni was caught singing it was justified that her Mom got angry about her lying etc.. But instead in reaction Sweety actually said "She'll sing english songs today.. wear english clothes tomorrow and start smoking and drinking the day after.." Now how outdated is that thought! Which parent of today would see a child singing english songs or even bollywood songs as leading to vices such as smoking and drinking? The funnier part was the comment about "english clothes"... The daughter does already wear western attire.. The reference to "english clothes" was ofcourse a reference to exposing clothes.. again a stereotypically outdated thought- kids who sing english/bollywood songs will start dressing indecently... Another over the top reaction!

There have been a few other such instances where you just feel that a normal educated parent of today's indian kid wouldnt have reacted in the way they did.. Should the cvs get contemporary with these things?  
Edited by swordfishh - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

atria thumbnail
I did feel Pinky's reaction to Raavi was completely OTT. But her character is like that, she tries to play it cool but at heart she's very insecure and worried about her kids. Jeet's reaction was much better, and in keeping with his sensible character. I guess both sisters are being shown a bit hyper, mothers are sometimes.😆 These characters are not uncommon in slightly conservative families, I've seen such people in my own circle. Yes, unbelievable as it might sound, parents, even in a metropolitan city, do think English songs, or Hindi film songs pave the way to hell. 

What they could have done is shown a wholly modern third family as a contrast, but that might have meant too many characters. I think though many middle-class moms are like this still, know some myself.😆
BoredAtWork thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

I agree that Pinky Ji's and Sweety Ji's reaction was a little 'backward' but I believe that is what the directors wanted to project.

I think the basic theme of the show is satirical, does anybody else think so too? I was watching this show with my mom the other day and we both had a good laugh. 😆 I know some moms who are as shaqi as Sweety ji and I know some moms who are over emotional like Pinky Ji. I really like how parents are trying to monitor their kids and kids are constantly trying to outsmart their parents.

The only reason I visited this forum is because I wanted to know how many people, beside me, think that the show is supposed to be a satire with occasional meaningful reflections on parenthood?

I think the only sensible character is that of Pinky Ji's husband, Jeet is it?

Luv4games thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I dont think their reactions are outdated at all. Pinky is learning how to be a modern mom and be a friend more than a mother to her kids. But at the same she is scared of crossing the line since they are parents and not friends. so she is confused. Sweety was right in saying one thing could lead to another. I agree that just singing wont do anything to ginni but ginni was wearing short skirt, colored hair, fake tatoos and dancing provocatively and i am sure she would also hold a cigarette to get into character with no hesitation. Pinky obviously told sweety all that and that is why she got mad and said that line. Ginni wasnt just into the singing but also everything else that accompany it. I doubt sweety would have this much problem if Ginni was just singing. Not all parents are ok with their kids wearing revealing clothes and having boyfriend, girlfriends. And i think that is what they are trying to show. On one hand somebody like sweety will be strict while pinky's hubby will be a friend to his kids. Both types of parenting have pros and cons.
Prinsesse.Suvi thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I don't think their reactions are outdated. I've met families like that myself. Even though I live outside of India, I know that if I told my mum that a guy proposed to me or something, she would get kind of hyper. It happens. =/
pavelonmove thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
u know what no matter how modern the society has become there still r parents who are a little insecure but they try their best to hide it...i know few people who actually react like pinky...and regarding sweety...well lol my aunts r just like her...carbon copies :P :P ...so  does that make them outdated???? i mean what's the clear definition of dated and outdated?? gen x and gen y??? different people react to situations differently...cant really categorize then like this...
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9

The best thing about this show is, most of the characters can be found around us, we can easily relate to them. What is outdated can be called generation gap, but such characters are there for sure.

Faraan92 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: mnx12

The best thing about this show is, most of the characters can be found around us, we can easily relate to them. What is outdated can be called generation gap, but such characters are there for sure.

Very true dear..👍🏼
prerna4rishav thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
Well .. I dont find it outdated at all.. My sis is in her teen.. And if something like that happens to her, I mean bf in school, I cant even IMAGINE how my mom will react 🤔 I mean come on, in middle class families, they still dont accept such things casually.. 🤔 Lots of drama they do.. 🤔🤔

Sweety's character sometimes is annoying.. But so as LOTS of aunties/mommies around us 😆 So the basic point is, ALL these characters are real and we can SO related us to the kids / parents 👏

P.S - Was thinking about the privacy issue.. It is SOOO damn irritating when mommies tell us to keep the door open 😡😆 It's really annoying.. I find every BIT of this show realistic.. 👏 No OTT 👍🏼[