cutychet
cutychet

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 12:28am | IP Logged
Write to the Editor Mail this story Print this story
NARAYANI SHASTRI
Big leap

Namita Nivas
Posted online: Friday, October 08, 2004 at 0000 hours IST

Rimjhim is a household name amongst the afternoon slot viewers. She is the emotional anchor of Piya Ka Ghar, aired on Zee TV. A law student-turned-actress, the petite and dusky Narayani Shastri plays this role with relish and though this is her only serial on air, she is happy with the way her career is progressing. Recently she bagged a leading role in a Marathi film ...
hough Narayani is not a new face on television, the actress claims that it was Piya Ka Ghar (PKG) that brought her to the fore as a talented actress. The serial has been on air for the last two and a half years. "The role has kind of grown on me. I am enjoying it mainly because the serial focuses on Rimjhim, the character that I play," briefs the actress. As the story goes, after the death of her father, Rimjhim comes into the household of Bhavanishankar who had promised her father that he would get her married to his son Avinash. After a lot of trial and tribulation, Avinash falls in love with Rimjhim and after marriage, they have a daughter. Then Malini enters their lives, kills Rimjhim and marries Avinash. Now Rimjhim is back after being saved by a samaritan. How Malini tries to get rid of Rimjhim again by forcing her to get married to Prem, a thief, is where the story is leading to at the moment. Elaborating on her role in the serial, Narayani says, "I like the character of Rimjhim. I love her for her calmness, understanding and caring nature. She manages to win over everyone with her love except her mother-in-law who addresses her as 'E ladki'. The role is quite challenging as it has many ups and downs. I am lucky to have bagged the role as it has helped me showcase various emotions in just one serial." Narayani states that unlike most of the set-ups, the atmosphere on the sets of PKG is very homely and fun-loving. Everyone gets along very well with each other. The actors are given the liberty to express their opinion and give suggestions while working which doesn't usually happen. "This encourages all of us to do our best," she smiles. After being together for more than two years, the unit of PKG has bonded very well, she says. Since it is a daily soap, they are together on the sets all the time and so "we have to entertain ourselves as well as the audience". There are times, she says, when they all have get-togethers and parties. "Basically it is party time on the sets of PKG always," smiles Narayani who began her acting career with Kahaani Saat Pheron Ki on DD. "Just when I was getting to enjoy as an actress, they called it quits," says the actress who has serials like Koi Apna Sa, Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi and Kkusum to her credit. Narayani confesses that she thoroughly enjoyed doing Kkusum. "For the first time I was doing a negative role and I was immensely appreciated for my work. I loved playing the wicked woman as I was getting tired of doing goody-goody roles," grins the actress. Another thing that had her hooked was the glamourous look and costumes in the serial. Back-biting and making other people's lives miserable, she says, was fun. "But I will never dream of doing such things in real life," she says with a twinkle in her eye.
Advertisement
< = src="http://ads.expressindia.com/banner/screenfullstory.js">
The actress was also seen briefly in Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi as Kesar, Tulsi's sister. When queried as to why she opted out of the serial midway, she says, "I didn't have much to do there. Moreover, when the serial took a time leap, I felt it was better to shift focus as I was not prepared to play a mother to grown up children so soon." The role is now being enacted by Resham Seth. Koi Apna Sa was another serial in which she had 'fun', she says. "The serial was doing very well but all of a sudden there was a change in the storyline and six months before it went off air, I decided to call it quits because I felt there was not much happening to my character," she states. It was the story of three best friends who get married to three sons of a family. Narayani, who has also featured in a music video by Manmohan Waris, came into the profession by sheer accident. She was studying to be a lawyer when a friend who was doing a play on stage requested her to enact a part in the absence of an artiste. For the debutant, it was fun and when people are dying to make a career in acting, here she was, with an acting offer on her lap. "Everything happened very fast and very easily for me," she says. She would have loved to continue doing theatre "but since there is no money in it" she had to look for other options. And there were many, with the television industry booming. Initially, she started off doing commercials. This was followed by several acting offers on television. Once she got into it, there was no looking back. "I have not been greedy. I take up a serial only when the first one is over. I don't want to be overworked. Right now I only have Piya Ka Ghar on air," says Narayani who recently signed her first feature film, a Marathi venture titled Pak Pak Pakak where she is paired opposite Nana Patekar. It is directed by Sai Paranjpye's son Gautam Joglekar, with whom she did an episode of Sanjivani - The Medical Boon. She is awaiting more assignments on big screen but prefers to be patient. What about her plans to settle into matrimony. "I have a long way to go and lot to achieve before I tie the knot," she concludes.

PriyaS Goldie
PriyaS
PriyaS

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 2:09am | IP Logged
Thanks for the article cutychet.
  • Page 1 of 1

Go to top