Page 5 Page 6

souro

souro

Posted: 22 February 2007 at 4:11pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Maya_M

Originally posted by souro

Originally posted by souro

4. They have given us english,which engraved the ideas of free speech and democracy in our minds.

You'll be surprised to see that people from other countries find it ridiculous that Indians cannot do their major works in their own language.

If not English then it would have been Urdu or Persian or Arabic in the long run. How many are comfortable conversing in that? Even the language which we claim majority speaks is still not popular when we take all the languages spoken in India. Before British people were conversing in their language in their provinces.

I didn't understand what you wanted to say. But do you really feel that because of English we've the ideas of freedom of speech and democracy in our mind.

The language problem is quite unique of India and the Indian Govt. has done precious little to solve it. But even if a person goes to some international meet where all other countries are speaking in their native language, Indians always stick to english. Why??

This is what I meant in my previous post.

If not English then Indians would have been forced to converse in Persian or Arabic which is not our language either. I don't consider English an alien language now because when the country were divided into provinces most spoke their mother tongue so any other Indian language is as alien as English to them.

I find it extremely difficult to brand one single language as Indian. So many languages are spoken widely in India that it is practically impossible for two Indians to converse in a common language.

I have no solution to offer in this regard. We truly are 'United in diversity'.

If the muslims successfully imposed Arabic and Urdu and the British imposed English on us then why the Indian Govt. can't impose something. Say if the Govt. imposed Sanskrit then in 60 yrs time most people would have learned it and all Govt. files would have been translated.

And as I said even when they go to international meets, Indians never make an effort to speak in their native language. Forget about their mother toungue, those dignitaries all know hindi then why couldn't they atleast speak in hindi which is our national language.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "British Rule in India (Page 4)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

angelic_devil

IF-Rockerz

Requested selfban

Posted: 22 February 2007 at 4:31pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

...M...

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 22 February 2007 at 4:32pm | IP Logged

angelic_devil

IF-Rockerz

Requested selfban

Posted: 22 February 2007 at 4:39pm | IP Logged

...M...

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 22 February 2007 at 4:40pm | IP Logged

souro

souro

Posted: 22 February 2007 at 4:46pm | IP Logged

Because Indian government is no barbarian. We live in a democracy and no one can impose anything on us.

Don't you think that it is impractical to even ask Indians to speak in Sanskrit when even 50% of the Hindus can't converse in it?

For the moment lets forget about the common people and the numerous languages of India. You didn't answer my main question, why do people who know Hindi doesn't speak in Hindi at an international meet??

...M...

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 22 February 2007 at 4:52pm | IP Logged

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 22 February 2007 at 4:55pm | IP Logged
I am pretty irritated and hence this is not going to be a lucid post. in fact, thoughts will be all over the place.  also a BIG "NVMD NukeThumbs Down" ALERT  here.  Enter at ur own risk WinkWinkWink

1. we are benefited because of english education without a doubt. (we cannot forget that it was not meant for us when it started)
2. we are benefited by significant reduction in SATI practice (enforced by the British, yet as Soro said visioned by several Indians such as RRMRoy)
3. British divided us more than we ever required and ruled on us.
4. British unified us before leaving, and i cannot thank them for that. Angry We are a FORCED unity in diversity. we mean it only when we are up against a foreign power.
we dont have a common language, we are much too diverse.
5. Partition was a huge disaster that we all complain about even till date. Forced unification was a bigger disaster in my 4 eyes. We may have been peaceful being smaller and segragated states. Lack of Sovereignity and dependency would have BROUGHT us WILLINGLY together over couple of years post independence. Some of us would have progressed and some digressed. I feel that ones unable to progress sometimes drag the entire country along to be a proud member of third world Dead
I know this is very biassed and immature, but the lack of real unity (except in face of war) and excessive regionalism makes me wonder all the above.

Edited by mermaid_QT - 22 February 2007 at 4:59pm

Post Reply New Post

Go to top