Book Talk

That one passage that you keep going back to... (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 3

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 3

wishfulthinking

wishfulthinking

Posted: 11 May 2012 at 3:47am | IP Logged
I re-read certain passages (or quotes) because each time I read it my understanding of it grows and it allows me to find nuances that I may have missed. Sometimes it's the sheer beauty of the writing that compels me to read it over and over again.

"He smiled understandingly--much more than understandingly. It was one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it, that you may come across four or five times in life. It faced--or seemed to face-- the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on YOU with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. It understood you just as far as you wanted to be understood, believed in you as you would like to believe in yourself, and assured you that it had precisely the impression of you that, at your best, you hoped to convey."

&

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

- The Great Gatsby

---------------------------

"All right-the Mr. Vinsons. Once you get past all the Mr. Vinsons, you're going to start getting closer and closer-that is, if you want to, and if you look for it and wait for it-to the kind of information that will be very, very dear to your heart. Among other things, you'll find that you're not the first person who was confused and frightened and even sickened by human behavior. You're by no means alone on that score, you'll be excited and stimulated to know. Many, many men have been just as troubled morally and spiritually as you are right now. Happily, some of them kept records of their troubles. You'll learn from them-if you want to. Just as someday, if you have something to offer, someone will learn something from you. It's a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. And it isn't education. It's history. It's poetry."

- The Catcher in the Rye

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "That one passage that you keep going back to... (Page 3)" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

chhilt

IF-Rockerz

chhilt

Posted: 02 June 2012 at 5:02am | IP Logged
^^ There are so many beautifully-worded passages in the Great Gatsby :)

Post Reply New Post

Go to top