The degree is fake. So What?

Nandalala thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 12 years ago
So, the actual paper degree is fake & its going to be revealed to all.  But does that really matter?  After all, its just a piece of paper!  How many of us who have graduated from college or university even know where our (paper) degrees are?  I only see framed degrees in doctors' & lawyers' offices...and sometimes thats not saying muchπŸ₯±...

What if Mohan went to university until the last semester but just didn't take the exam?   Also, what if he was sick, or had some other issues that would have prevented him from completing the MBA.  Does that mean he didn't really learn anything during his entire stay? 

There are many famous entrepreneurs (e.g. Bill Gates & Steve Jobs) who never completed their degrees.  But we still hold them in the highest regard.  In the case of Gates & Jobs, both are visionaries; both are billionaires.  They created, invented, revolutionized...where does the actual degree factor into their success?  

Ultimately, the piece of paper which represents what you've learned is just that: a piece of paper.  Its what you do with what you learn, your experiences, your talent, your ambition & your luck that determine where you go after your text book education is completed.  So does Mohan not having an actual piece of paper make a difference?  

Do share your views, guys!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

_SilentSoul_ thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
It's all about people's mentality. Everyone thinks that a MBA degree holder, and that too from foreign, is a star. Like I said, it's what people think, that is, degrees do matter because the people have made them so important. 

In today's world, most of the people don't give a damn with intelligence. All are after degrees. If that's not so then why is my mom still looking around for jobs here? We came to Canada a year back and she didn't get a job in her field. Why? Just because her degrees, which she had from India, aren't applicable here. To get a good job here, she need to study again and get a degree, a Canadian Degree. But none is thinking about her intelligence. None is thinking about her experience of 11 years as a Professor. ALL ARE AFTER DEGREES!! 

I just gave you an example. In Mohan's case, he has intelligence but that won't be appreciated because he doesn't have a degree. That's what I think. 

I hope you can figure out if Degrees do matter or not. 
Edited by Bidz_cutegal - 12 years ago
Jaz1990 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Now days everyone looks into who has a degree, i dont get it. Just because you have a degree dosent mean your more likely to get a job, Its difficult for anyone to get a job in the job market with or without a degree.

_SilentSoul_ thumbnail
Azna, I just said what I've seen. As far I've seen, probably the degree holders don't have to struggle so much. I know it because I've seen it happening. 
Nandalala thumbnail
Bidz, you bring up an excellent pt. about degree over intelligence. I've seen instances similar to what your mom is going through with my own friends. I do believe that while a degree might get you a job, your success at it as you put it depends on your intelligence, common sense and all the other attributes I mentioned in my first post. Moreover, just because you have a degree accredited and recognized in a country (lets say a degree from a Canadian university) that doesn't necessarily mean you will get a job in Canada. This is increasingly becoming the case all over the globe...sometimes even a degree from a 'good' school is not good enough it seems to get a job; people then rely on contacts, extracurricular things, & references to get an in with an employer.   And in the case of starting a business, where does the degree factor in? While in the MBA Mohan might have studied marketing, risk analysis, finance, & accounting, these are ultimately just theories he then has to apply to whatever he is doing...

It was an article I was reading today about employment rates that got me thinking on this issue...thanks for sharing your insights, sweetie... 😊Edited by Nandalala - 12 years ago
KhatamKahani thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Bill Gates and Steve Jobs, while they became entrepreneurs, they were also exceptionally smart. And when I mean smart, I mean--knowing computer programming.

I don't think those examples are comparable.  Same goes for Adam Zukerberg. He didn't complete college, but he too is an example of someone who created a web or computer programme.  I think people falling into that description are sort of in a different category.  I'm not denying that they needed to handle their venture smartly, whether by themselves or by hiring competent advisors.  But I do think they are a different case.

I agree that in business you don't necessarily need a degree.  That you can fail or fly, regardless of your education status.

But I also don't think it's true that degrees are worthless these days.  In someways, they are. And in other ways, they aren't.  It goes both ways.  And wouldn't be correct to just choose one option.
_SilentSoul_ thumbnail
People's mentality, Anjali. It's all about their so-called mentalities. As I said, no one respects intelligence. All are after degrees, by accepting the good way or the bad way. 

Btw I got a confusion just now, if degrees are so damn important in anything, be it business or job, then how is Baapji running the masala shop? Does he have a degree of 1947? πŸ˜† 

I think that its people's thoughts and perceptions which made them think that degrees are important in everything. 
_SilentSoul_ thumbnail
Originally posted by: likarsh

Bill Gates and Steve Jobs, while they became entrepreneurs, they were also exceptionally smart. And when I mean smart, I mean--knowing computer programming.

I don't think those examples are comparable.  Same goes for Adam Zukerberg. He didn't complete college, but he too is an example of someone who created a web or computer programme.  I think people falling into that description are sort of in a different category.  I'm not denying that they needed to handle their venture smartly, whether by themselves or by hiring competent advisors.  But I do think they are a different case.

I agree that in business you don't necessarily need a degree.  That you can fail or fly, regardless of your education status.

But I also don't think it's true that degrees are worthless these days.  In someways, they are. And in other ways, they aren't.  It goes both ways.  And wouldn't be correct to just choose one option.

Lik, how do you get so deep? I always find a hard time to understand your post. Sorry. πŸ˜†
Nandalala thumbnail
Originally posted by: likarsh

I don't think those examples arecomparable. Same goes for Adam Zukerberg. He didn't complete college, but he too is an example of someone who created a web or computer programme. I think people falling into that description are sort of in a different category. I'm not denying that they needed to handle their venture smartly, whether by themselves or by hiring competent advisors. But I do think they are a different case.

I agree that in business you don't necessarily need a degree. That you can fail or fly, regardless of your education status.

But I also don't think it's true that degrees are worthless these days. In someways, they are. And in other ways, they aren't. It goes both ways. And wouldn't be correct to just choose one option.

To my point, I am not comparing Gates to Gala, yaar...I understand the difference too :)...I'm just saying that there are plenty of successful business people, entrepreneurs who have not completed a college education...That the degree issue in this show is not a deterrent to where Mohan goes from here...
KhatamKahani thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Bidz_cutegal

Lik, how do you get so deep? I always find a hard time to understand your post. Sorry. πŸ˜†

Or perhaps my posts are hollow.  That's why you can't understand. πŸ˜†  It's okay, yaar. i was just talking generally.  I would probably confuse myself too, if I were on the outside looking in. πŸ˜†