Starryskies Groupbie
Starryskies
Starryskies

Posted: 20 March 2005 at 3:37am | IP Logged
Lassi for Jassi
   By: Anita Raheja and Heena Agarwal
   March 20, 2005

heenanita@mid-day.com
During winters, my family loves to drive out in the night for a kulfi. I also look forward to eating sarson ka saag with makai ki roti and lots of white butter.' — Mona Singh
It was a national secret, but now it's common knowledge that model Mona Singh plays the part of Armaan Sir's clumsy secretary Jassi.

Mona admits that in real life too, "I am very clumsy and keep banging into people wherever I go. I respect and value time and I believe in God strongly.

Like my character on the small screen, my parents are very important to me. They are my best friends. If they are with me, no one else matters."

Even Mona is bewildered by the way in which Jassi has stormed the country. 

"Recently, my mom said that at an inter-school fancy dress competition at Pune, a girl dressed up like Jassi and won the first prize." Mona, who likes to wear only lipstick and a dash of koel, is simplicity personified – even in her tastes in food.

Thought for food

I am from Pune
. I am a Sardarni. Since my dad was in the army, we have travelled a lot. After he retired, we settled in Pune. I came to Mumbai recently. I have always been special for mom and dad.

I begin the day with prayers . I need bed tea to bring me to my senses. I normally avoid breakfast, but if I am really hungry, I eat a sandwich or some fruit.

I prefer vegetarian food , especially gobi parathas, aloo parathas, rajma, kadhi. My favourite non-vegetarian dish is butter chicken, but I don't like seafood.

When I am at home , I have very simple food — yellow dal, rice, curd and some sabzi. I like to have raita with my meals.

In my school tiffin, mom would give me puri-aloo. I loved her parathas with jam.

If I'm in the mood to cook, I would probably make channa bhatura.

I eat unit food, which is also very simple . It comprises an egg masala or a chicken dish in gravy, dal, raita and kheer. I relish snacking on samosas in the evening.

I am very fond of sizzlers.

My favourite restaurant in Pune is Zaika . It's known for its kali ma ki dal and kebabs. Coffee House serves good food, but I'm not very fond of South Indian food. I recommend China Room for Chinese.

I can't call myself a restaurant person. I see going out to a restaurant as a family outing.

In Mumbai, I have been to Legacy of China and Noodle Bar , but the only eating place I frequent is Urban Tadka in Seven Bungalows. Their kali dal and Amritsari chicken has a Punjabi flavour.

My favourite cuisines are Punjabi and Chinese. In Punjabi food, my favourite fare is kali ma ki dal, good spicy chicken and gajar halwa.

In Chinese food
, I dig egg fried rice and chilly chicken.

I am a big time dessert person. I like gajar halwa, kheer, rabdi and firni. However, I don't like ice creams. I love chocolate chips and chocolates except those with a mint flavour. In pastries, I prefer black forest.

I drink a lot of sweet lassi . My favourite beverage is Aarey's sweet lassi.

As part of my fitness regime , I ask the unit man to cook food in very little oil for me. I eat rotis without ghee or butter. I avoid rice. I drink lukewarm water all day. I have no time to go to the gym; I shoot for 15 hours, everyday.

I am a student of Saint Mira's college, Pune . During my college days, I would hang out at Gobbles. The restaurant does not exist any more. Prem's served excellent moon fried eggs.

I can gorge on vada-pav and sev batata dahi puri. I love the raste ka sandwich in Mumbai. I am not fond of burgers and pizzas.

I can make very good parathas — egg, aloo, gobi, mutter, cabbage, chana dal parathas. I also cook stuffed bhindi and capsicum with aloo. My mom cooks amazing rajma and kadhi. I really miss her haath ka khana. I have learnt all my cooking from my mom.

Mangoes and custard apples are my favourite fruits.

In mocktails , I enjoy fruit punch. I had champagne once, but didn't like it.

I give preference to the food
rather than the ambience. Even a dhaba is fine as long as the food is good. In Mumbai, I have tried the Guru Ka Dhaba at Lokhandwala. It is famous for rajma chawal.

In the fridge, I don't stack anything for myself. Come to think of it, I would like to stash away some chilled rice kheer.

My idea of a romantic dinner is Indian food, a softly lit place and a Jagjit Singh ghazal playing in the background.

On a rainy day , pakode and chai is an ideal combination.

During winters , my family loves to drive out in the night for a kulfi. I also look forward to eating sarson ka saag with makai ki roti and lots of white butter.

I like my food spiced with garlic.

My favourite gadget is the microwave. I am diet conscious and the microwave makes it easy to cook food in less oil.

The vegetable I resemble is a cauliflower. I feel Jassi is like a flower.

heenanita@mid-day.com

Mona's chole bhature

Chole

250 gm kabuli channa
4 to 5 tbsp oil
2 to 3 green chillies (slit)
1 inch piece of ginger
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
Pinch of turmeric powder
1 sliced tomato
Chopped coriander leaves 
Salt to taste

For the masala
2 to 3 tsp cumin seeds
4 cloves
A piece of cinnamon
4 to 5 green cardamoms
1 black cardamom
2 tsp anardana

Bhatura

250 gm flour
Salt to taste
1 boiled potato (mashed)
75 gm paneer (crumbled)
2 to 3 tbsp thick curds
Oil for deep frying

Wash and soak the kabuli channa overnight. Pressure cook the channa with salt and sufficient water on a medium flame till done (it should be done in 20-25 minutes).

Dry roast the masalas on a tawa over a low flame till aromatic. Dry grind into fine powder. Lightly heat oil in a kadai, add green chillies and ginger.

Saut for few seconds. Add the ground masala and fry for few more minutes on a low flame. Add coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and little salt.

Saut for another five minutes on a low flame. Add the boiled channa along with its water and cook further till the gravy thickens. Garnish with sliced tomatoes and coriander leaves. Serve hot with bhatura.

For bhatura: Sieve the flour. Add salt, mashed potato, paneer and curds. Mix well. Add sufficient water and knead the mixture to a stiff dough. Keep covered with a damp cloth for 30 minutes. Just before frying the bhaturas, knead it lightly, once again. Divide the dough into small portions. Roll out each portion like a puri. Heat oil in a kadai to smoking point. Slip one bhatura at a time and fry till golden.

alveera Goldie
alveera
alveera

Posted: 20 March 2005 at 4:29am | IP Logged
thanx for the info
poison ivy Goldie
poison ivy
poison ivy

Posted: 20 March 2005 at 4:56am | IP Logged
wow thanks!!! she sounds like a food buff!! lol!! LOL
jingle IF-Rockerz
jingle
jingle

Posted: 20 March 2005 at 5:53am | IP Logged
thanks a lot
bas02 Goldie
bas02
bas02

Posted: 20 March 2005 at 6:42am | IP Logged
wow, she sounds nice, thanx for sharing!!
bhangra rulez Goldie
bhangra rulez
bhangra rulez

Posted: 20 March 2005 at 7:54am | IP Logged

Thanks!

shiverz Goldie
shiverz
shiverz

Posted: 20 March 2005 at 3:39pm | IP Logged
thanks for the article!
mikagurl23 IF-Dazzler
mikagurl23
mikagurl23

Posted: 20 March 2005 at 4:49pm | IP Logged
thanx, she doesnt look that good in the first pic, but the saree pic, she looks much better. maybe i mite try her way of chole bature!

Go to top