Tumhari Disha
Tumhari Disha

Happy St Patrick’s day

lilly Senior Member
lilly
lilly

Posted: 16 March 2005 at 5:45pm | IP Logged

Story Behind St Patrick's day

The person who was to become St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, was born in Wales about AD 385. His given name was Maewyn.

When he was 16, he was sold into slavery to Ireland where he was a shepherd for 6 years. While in captivity he studied and turned to religion. He escaped slavery and later returned to Ireland as a missionary, determined to convert Ireland to Christianity. He used the shamrock to explain the Holy Trinity.

Patrick was quite successful at winning converts. And this fact upset the Celtic Druids. Patrick was arrested several times, but escaped each time. He traveled throughout Ireland, establishing monasteries across the country. He also set up schools and churches which would aid him in his conversion of the Irish country to Christianity.

His mission in Ireland lasted for thirty years. After that time, Patrick retired to County Down. He died on March 17 in AD 461. That day has been commemorated as St. Patrick's Day ever since.

Much Irish folklore surrounds St. Patrick's Day. Not much of it is actually substantiated. Some of this lore includes the belief that Patrick raised people from the dead. He also is said to have given a sermon from a hilltop that drove all the snakes from Ireland. Though originally a Catholic holy day, St. Patrick's Day has evolved into more of a secular holiday.

One traditional symbol of the day is the shamrock. And this stems from a more bona fide Irish tale that tells how Patrick used the three-leafed shamrock to explain the Trinity. He used it in his sermons to represent how the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit could all exist as separate elements of the same entity. His followers adopted the custom of wearing a shamrock on his feast day.

The holiday, March 17th, is marked by parades in cities across the United States. The largest of these, held since 1762, is in New York City, and draws more than one million spectators each year. In Ireland, it is a religious holiday similar to Christmas and Easter.

To all the members of TD  a very happy St Patrick's day.

Jaadu Ki Jaapi ( Jaadu is miracle and Jappi is Hug, so miracle hug loved it in Munna Bhai MBBS) to all members of TD

Lilly

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Happy St. Patricks Day To You !Happy St. Patricks Day To You !Happy St. Patricks Day To You !

Jaslove IF-Rockerz
Jaslove
Jaslove

Posted: 16 March 2005 at 9:49pm | IP Logged

Hi Lilly,

You forgot to tell our friends that on St. Patricks Day everyone wears green or else they are pinched. yes you heard me right if you don't wear green you will end up with lots of red marks from the pinchings.LOL

-jaslove

Nishani IF-Dazzler
Nishani
Nishani

Posted: 16 March 2005 at 11:12pm | IP Logged

Thanks Lil and Jas

Very informative and since I am a St Patrick kiddo (born 17/3) and I chuffed to learn what you just posted!

Thanks!

PS, unfortunately Jas, I am in full black today! Looks like I am gonna get pinched! LOLLOLLOL

dkaddict Senior Member
dkaddict
dkaddict

Posted: 17 March 2005 at 12:01am | IP Logged

^ Pinch, pinch pinch!! Hehehehe.......LOL

-DKaddict

AALIYAH786 Goldie
AALIYAH786
AALIYAH786

Posted: 17 March 2005 at 12:47am | IP Logged

Happy St Patrick's Day to all those celebrating the occassion although we don't really celebrate it here in SA.

lilly Senior Member
lilly
lilly

Posted: 17 March 2005 at 2:37am | IP Logged

Thanks Jaslove , I did forget to mention the green clothing thanks for reminding and yes , I am planning to wear green today.Nish did you get pinched Tongue

Nishani IF-Dazzler
Nishani
Nishani

Posted: 17 March 2005 at 3:34am | IP Logged

Oh yah, I got pinched! Wink

My skin is so red with all the pinching, you wouldn't believe - hehe! It goes smashinginly well, mind you with the black mini and top that I am using!LOLLOL

lilly Senior Member
lilly
lilly

Posted: 17 March 2005 at 3:38am | IP Logged

Nish off record any plans for your B'day bash. Hey with your mini at work , I am sure you must have send plenty of hearts missing there beats

Have a wonderful B'day, may all your wishes come true

Lilly

Go to top