CID

shweta interview

veena_5 thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Did you ever think you?d become so popular as an actress?
Of course! (smiles) I?ve been acting for the past five years, and have been determined to make it as an actress. And before coming to Bombay, I was modeling in Delhi, where I did a lot of ramp. Thanks to Hemant Trivedi and Lubna Adams, I came to Bombay for the Femina Look of the Year in 1995.

It was early days, but I was quite sure I had found the one thing I really like to do, and that was acting. It was very different from modeling because modeling was getting too monotonous -- I had done it for almost 4 years, and in ramp shows all you?ve got to remember is when to smile, when to turn, when not to turn, etc.

Did you take any lessons in acting? Done any theatre earlier??
No, nothing! But I knew that I had a natural flair for acting, and that acting was the one thing I really and truly wanted to do! So even when, in the middle, there were very lean patches like no role in a serial on air, I told my folks at home, Don't worry about me! I'll survive on pilots alone if I have to, but I?m not quitting!? I was pretty determined. It's that feeling when you know something is going to happen!

And then Kahani happened? and of course, Kkusum.
Hmmm yes -- Esha! I worked a lot on Esha?s role because after Pallavi, this girl is not negative; she still has willpower enough to stop herself from getting involved with a married man. Esha is chirpy, a girl of her own will. Before I did Kahani? not too many people had seen me around so they had this image of me.. Kusum's role helped me really break the barrier.

And now you're anchoring Current Bollywood on MAX?
Yes, that?s something I?m really enjoying!

So as an anchor, will we get to see the real Shweta?
(Laughs) Yes! The real me! Like I am? chirpy, friendly, fun loving, without any hang-ups at all? (Smiles, then gets reflective and says) You know, actually, being like that has its disadvantages too? people take me for granted all the time!

What do you think of Current Bollywood?
It?s very nice. A very an interesting concept, very filmi, very Bollywood, so definitely the kind of stuff that everyone would like to watch and know about?

How did you plan to style yourself on the show?
I?d always wanted to make it look really sporty? Indo-Western? yeah, I was thinking a lot of Indo-western somethings, you know? something with a lot of bangles, oxidized stuff? casual and comfortably, but also stylishly different?

Speaking of getting yourself a new look, have you seen MAX's new on-air look?
Are you kidding? Of course! In fact, the day MAX launched it, it was a holiday, that's how I could see it? no shooting? yes, Republic Day. Yeah. Very warm look and feel, and very stylish. I like the yellows and golds you?ve used. It's also quite filmi - I mean, there are plenty of all-time favourite scenes you have been inspired by, right?

Yes. And how does it feel to be anchoring a show on MAX?
Very good, really. I think MAX makes some very good film-based shows. Very classy programming. I like Om Puri's tribute show? Biographies, isn't it? Yes. And also the one about the 100 best songs over the years? Rajeshwari anchors it? Caravan, right? I also like the way they promote their shows. Good packaging, and now you have this nice new look too.

You know what? I'd seen Current Bollywood once, and I saw one of the promos with Dipti in it. And I said to myself, I'd like to do something like this. And before you know it, I get this call about anchoring a film-based show on MAX, and I said to myself, ?Hey! That was quick!? And don't you know it, it's the very same show Dipti was anchoring!

The best part of doing anchor-based shows is that you're being natural, you don't have to put on anything -- just be yourself.

Since I?m doing two big dailies (Kusum and Kahani?) I don't have time for too much else. It's like doing ten weeklies a month! But when I got the Current Bollywood offer, I grabbed it because of the channel it's on, and also because I don't want to take up another daily. I want to do a weekly. I saw Hubahu on SONY Entertainment Television -- what a show! I wish I could do something like that too! Sandhya (Mridul Singh) is doing it -- she looks so cute, and it's such a terrific role! I wish I could get something like that. It's mind blowing!

So you?re all set for Current Bollywood?
Absolutely! It's a lovely show, and I can promise you, viewers will see the real me on it!

And what about films?
Well, I've been getting offers, but unless I feel very strongly about a role, like ?Wow! Yes, I want to do this!? I wont. Because if I take even one wrong step, I'll go out of tv too! I know I have been doing pretty well for myself here. So lets see if something good comes up I will take it up - but I'm in no hurry to do films.!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Thanks for sharing ji😊 Edited by ~*simran*~ - 18 years ago
OodlesDoodles thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
thanks i think this is an old interview