Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

Damyanthi

Goldie

Damyanthi

Posted: 21 November 2011 at 7:42pm | IP Logged
So guys, do you prefer buying books first hand or second hand and if so why?

Do you beleive in the saying "wear the old coat and buy the new book"?

What was the first novel you have read?

Are you a member of any library?

What's your favourite genere of books? And

Who's your favourite author?

Looking forward to your replies Tongue

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Flamesangelirebelli-GredForge-famzii05

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "First hand or second hand?" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

anne_shirley

anne_shirley

Posted: 22 November 2011 at 10:25am | IP Logged
nice topic!! here are my answers

1. I usually prefer to buy  books first hand because I love the smell of new books, the feel of a book with crisp new pages and an uncracked spine in my handsSmile...but some books I do buy second hand which are out of print because I have no choice

2. I never heard of that saying till todayLOL

3. It was an abridged version of Heidi when I was 7 years old

4. Not now...was when I was in school

5. romantic dramas at the moment

6.L. M Montgomery...loved her since my teens...

Edited by anne_shirley - 22 November 2011 at 10:26am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Damyanthiangelirebelli

iTangled_25

IF-Stunnerz

iTangled_25

Posted: 25 November 2011 at 8:20am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Petrouska

Anything as long it's readable and no pages are missing !

Do you believe in the saying "wear the old coat and buy the new book"?
I'm not sure, I agree and disagree.. Silly

Goosebumps - R.L Stine (one of his many Goosebumps)

yeah !

Love, Romance, Drama,Thrill !  actually all of them, except sci fic !

Who's your favorite author?
I cannot pick one !! I have a favorite of every genre! :D

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

anne_shirleyDamyanthiangelirebelli

angelirebelli

IF-Dazzler

angelirebelli

Posted: 25 November 2011 at 10:01am | IP Logged

1. Do you prefer buying books first hand or second hand and if so why? 

Prefer buying first hand ...Love the crisp pages, the way it smells and dont like handling books that have been dog- eared and *handled* Wink

2. Do you beleive in the saying "wear the old coat and buy the new book"? 

Nope.. buy everything new...LOL

3. What was the first novel you have read?

I cant remember... have been reading for as long as I can remember .. has to be those Enid Blyton series...Hardy Boys.. Nancy Drew.. Famous Five .. .. Gosh cant remember...

4. Are you a member of any library? 

Not anymore...

5. What's your favourite genere of books? 

Thrillers.. Drama.. Classic.. Mystery ,,,but fiction for sure...

6. Who's your favourite author?

Jeffrey Archer.. Jane Austen.. Robert Ludlum.. Dan Brown.. Mario Puzo.. JRN..

Edited by angelirebelli - 28 November 2011 at 7:48am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

anne_shirleyDamyanthics-07

cs-07

IF-Dazzler

cs-07

Posted: 28 November 2011 at 4:28am | IP Logged

1. Do you prefer buying books first hand or second hand and if so why? 

BOTH. i have both kinds, though i love the crisp pages and the feel of the new books, sometimes due to financial constraints i have read second hand or even pirated books.

well cause of the pirated books, my book fanaticism grew that now i have more than 100books (lol, am so proud of them)

2. Do you beleive in the saying "wear the old coat and buy the new book"? 

ummm... i can live with old books, 

3. What was the first novel you have read?

IT has to be sweet valley series.

4. Are you a member of any library? 

i was but their collection is smaller than mine :P

5. What's your favourite genere of books? 

Thrillers.. Drama.. Classic.. Mystery ,,,but fiction for sure...WOW !! Ditto !! 
6. Who's your favourite author?

Robert ludlum and paulo coelho

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Damyanthiangelirebelli

chhilt

IF-Rockerz

chhilt

Posted: 30 November 2011 at 8:31am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Petrouska

As long as it's a good book and it's not missing any pages, I don't care if it's new or old or an ebook or whatever :)

Do you beleive in the saying "wear the old coat and buy the new book"?

First time I've heard of it, sorry :)

Novel? If you're talking about the first book I ever read it was a picture book about a farm which I can't remember the name of :P That was when I was three or four... and the first chapter book I read was one of the Goosebumps series by R.L. Stine when I was five :)

I work at one... does that count? :P

I can pretty much read anything as long it's got a good story but I do like fantasy and supernatural fiction :) Not supernatural romance so much but just good old scary supernatural fiction :)

Who's your favourite author?

J.K. Rowling, hands down. But I do love a lot of other authors like Roald Dahl, L.J. Smith, Nicholas Sparks, Kristen Cashore, Maureen Johnson, Cathy Kelly, Elizabeth Scott, Richelle Mead, Stephen King and I'm pretty sure I left out a lot of others that I really like :)

Looking forward to your replies Tongue

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Flames

Damyanthi

Goldie

Damyanthi

Posted: 01 December 2011 at 5:21am | IP Logged
Thanks for the replySmile
@anne_shirley- Heidi is one of my all time favouritesEmbarrassed It's such a cute book and the simple life and simple emotions of the characters are so endearingEmbarrassed

@waterbearer- RL stine used to be favuorite in schoolTongue I don't know the name of the book, but one about the life like wax statues was my favourite! Good to know that you are a part of a library! Good libraries are few and far between these daysOuch

@angelirebelli- Gosh EB! Those were good old days, no? My first novel happens to be an EB, "Three Cheers Secret Seven". My father more or less bullied me into reading itLOL and I'm so greatful to him for that because after that, there has been no looking back, it has been books books and only books after that for meLOL We seem to be having a coomon list of 'favourite' authors tooTongue

@richa476- I used to read a good amount of Sweet Valley High when I was in high school. I used to find the twins, Jessica and Elizabeth very amusingLOL and Elizabeth's bf was Todd, no? I liked him too and that Bruce PatmanLOL Funny characters with nice stories, kind of miss themOuch And you like Paulo Coelo?! WOW! You must one of a kind, the genius kind at that! I have never been able to appreciate his workConfused Infact, I havn't been able to bring myself to read even one entire book of hisLOL

@Chhilt- Wow! Nice to know that you work at a library! Looks like my computer has some problem with your post, it's not allowing me to "like" itLOL

Speaking for myself,
I love first hand books and as anne_shirley and angelirevelli pointed out, they smell good feel like fresh and clean linenLOL But I love visiting second hand book stores more than the first hand ones. It gets me all exited as I wouldn't know what "treasure" I would come up withLOL In a first hand book store, everything is in order and one does not have to do much searching. But that's not the case with a second hand book store. One can spend hours together at such storesLOL And books do to me what alchohol does to an addictLOL I can't come empty handed from any book storeTongue Since I vist second hand book stores more, And as richa476 pointed out, there is the cost factor too. I never have the heart to buy first hand when the same book is avaiable for half the rate and that too in good conditionOuch And Shhh! Buying pirated books is illegalLOL And don't you feel the print of these books sucks?Dead
As chillt and waterbearer have nicely summed it up- as long as there are no pages missing, it doesn't matter if it's first hand or second hand or borrowed or downloadedWink

Wear the old coat and buy the new book loosely translates to prefering to buy books over say clothes or accesories. I kind of agree with the saying, I used to spend all my pocket on buying booksLOL
 Nope, I'm not a member of any libraryOuch There are no god ones near my houseOuchCry
Three Cheers Secret Seven by Enid Blyton was my first.

I like humour and thriller. Sensible ghost stories will also doLOL

I have loads of favourites, but PG Wodehouse tops the list. I like the works of Arthur Haily too and I'm a huge fan of Roald Dahl!

Edited by Petrouska - 01 December 2011 at 6:31am

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Flamesanne_shirleychhiltiTangled_25

chhilt

IF-Rockerz

chhilt

Posted: 01 December 2011 at 5:58am | IP Logged
^^ Yep I do :) And that's all right haha :P

Post Reply New Post

Go to top