Page 1 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

hippi2go

Goldie

hippi2go

Posted: 14 February 2006 at 5:44pm | IP Logged

I was watching an episode of "Saath Phere" the other day and was quite shocked to see the theme the series is based on. For those of you who don't know or don't watch it, I believe its about being dark and how the society looks at a not so fair girlLOLCry 

Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed but I couldn't help but ask...How do you feel about that issue still existing in our society? Why is that if a girl is little dark then its harder for her to get married? Why is it only a case for a women? Why is that many girls are going crazy trying to become lighter with fair and lovely these days where alot of westerns would kill to be a little tanner?????????

I personally think its pretty patheticDeadAngry...It gets me real mad when I see that so much sexism still exists in our society. If a man is a little dark then its perfectly alright but if a woman is dark then she has to deal with the world...(No offense to any guys hereTongue)...I find it pretty sad when I see that a woman is treated certain way by their parents, siblings, or friends just because of their skin color. To some people if you are fair you are gorgeous, and if you are dark you need fair and lovelyOuch...why something like this still happening is something I would never ever understand...

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Fair&Lovely vs. Dark&Ugly" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Misfit_

Goldie

Misfit_

Posted: 14 February 2006 at 5:58pm | IP Logged
I think the show is a bit over-dramatized...No bloodkin would treat each other differently because of a darker pigment of skin. In the eastern society though, fair skin is basically worshipped and seen as something high and above the norm. Though the trend seems to be dying out, the prejudice against darker skin is very deep-rooted. I think it's pretty pathetic to judge someone based on the amount of melanin in someone's skin.

Sharila

IF-Dazzler

Sharila

Posted: 14 February 2006 at 11:17pm | IP Logged
I have to say beauty is only skin deep. People should look inside the persons heart in order to know what is real beauty

Morgoth

IF-Veteran Member

Morgoth

--

Posted: 15 February 2006 at 6:52am | IP Logged
Originally posted by hippi2go

I was watching an episode of "Saath Phere" the other day and was quite shocked to see the theme the series is based on. For those of you who don't know or don't watch it, I believe its about being dark and how the society looks at a not so fair girlLOLCry 

Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed but I couldn't help but ask...How do you feel about that issue still existing in our society? Why is that if a girl is little dark then its harder for her to get married? Why is it only a case for a women? Why is that many girls are going crazy trying to become lighter with fair and lovely these days where alot of westerns would kill to be a little tanner?????????

I personally think its pretty patheticDeadAngry...It gets me real mad when I see that so much sexism still exists in our society. If a man is a little dark then its perfectly alright but if a woman is dark then she has to deal with the world...(No offense to any guys hereTongue)...I find it pretty sad when I see that a woman is treated certain way by their parents, siblings, or friends just because of their skin color. To some people if you are fair you are gorgeous, and if you are dark you need fair and lovelyOuch...why something like this still happening is something I would never ever understand...

IMO, the root cause behind this is the ancient varna system, which divided society based on skin colour

Varna means "colour" and people in the higher classes were lighter-skinned Aryans, whereas darker skinned people (Dravidians) were in lower classes. The whole idea that the higher classes are better than the others also gave the distinction of what is good/bad in society.

So there is this ingrained notion that fair-skinned girls are prettier than dark-skinned girls and unfortunately, it is an evil in our culture, which can be seen even today.

But, overall, beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. I think that being natural is the best - look at what becoming Fair and "lovely"Wacko did to Micheal Jackson?

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 15 February 2006 at 8:57am | IP Logged
Originally posted by T.

look at what becoming Fair and "lovely"Wacko did to Micheal Jackson?

...........he looks diseased and sickly !!LOL

sweet freedom

IF-Dazzler

sweet freedom

Posted: 15 February 2006 at 1:25pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Aparna_BD

Originally posted by T.

look at what becoming Fair and "lovely"Wacko did to Micheal Jackson?

...........he looks diseased and sickly !!LOL

Embarrassedhe looked better as he was firstLOLnow he looks like a girlLOL

hazelgirl

IF-Rockerz

hazelgirl

Posted: 16 February 2006 at 4:07am | IP Logged
exactly... LOL

well as sharila said...its ur nature and mind matters not ur looks or colour of ur skin Tongue

Sharila

IF-Dazzler

Sharila

Posted: 16 February 2006 at 11:55pm | IP Logged
Thanks Sushmi

Post Reply New Post

Go to top