Yeh Meri Life Hai
Yeh Meri Life Hai

Baa enters YMLH next week

anonmember IF-Sizzlerz
anonmember
anonmember

Posted: 12 March 2005 at 2:08pm | IP Logged
TELE EXPRESS
http://cities.expressindia.com/archivefullstory.php?newsid=1 20973&creation_date=2005-03-12http://cities.expressindia.com/archivefullstory.php?newsid=1 20973&creation_date=2005-03-12

Baa crosses over

No, the character still hasn't called it quits, but actress Sudha Shivpuri is opting for a change of scenery

Sulakshana Gupta
Ludhiana, March 11: The pale Gujarati saris will give way to designer lehengas and salwar kurta sets. The locks-in-a-bun will be coiffured in a different do, every episode. Come next week, Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhie Bahu Thi's Baa (Sudha Shivpuri) will break free of her ma-in-law confines. She's joining the cast of Yeh Meri Life Hai as dadi, protagonist Ronit's Girlfriend—her nickname, as she's his closest friend. Shivpuri, 66, feels the challenge will be getting the audience to accept her in this new, improved avatar. ''She'll be like the funny, vivacious Kirron Kher character in Hum Tum, and her versatility will aid her acceptance,'' says director Vipul D Shah, about the character who'll make her entry this week, ''flying in from London''. The mischievous matriarch will be the serial's conscience-keeper and the only one whom vamp Maya Gujral fears. But the transition hasn't been as smooth as the actor hoped. Her role in Kyunki... has just been given a fresh lease of life. And she'll be shooting with Balaji until June, instead of wrapping up in March. ''With her bahu Tulsi in jail, Baa is the only stabilising factor in the family right now. That's why Ekta's (Kapoor) decided not to kill her off yet,'' smiles Shivpuri. Not that she's averse to arthi scenes. She recalls, with some amusement, the shot where screen husband Mansukh was done away with. ''I had severe diorrhea that day. So when I was yelling, 'Mujhe jaane do,' in a sorry voice, I wasn't just acting,'' she laughs. With Balaji hogging her schedule—25 shooting days a month—she's tentative about another daily. But Shah's already picturised Shivpuri as dadi in his mind. And he's determined to give her a makeover. ''Dadi is certainly not a docile housewife. Her outfits will be bright, and her demeanour overtly Punjabi. We'll do everything to break the Kyunki... image,'' he adds. But Baa's become so much a part of her life, even off camera, she's addressed by her character name. ''If people scream 'Sudhaji', it takes me a while to realise they're asking for me,'' she reveals. Shivpuri began her career in radio, moved on to theatre and took a break after marriage. But when she decided to try her hand at TV, her grown-up kids were dead against it. ''They discouraged me when I was preparing the bio-data. They were worried I'd embarrass the full family,'' she remembers. But, with such success, she never complains about the hectic schedule. And "free time" only bores her. ''Baa is very similar to me,'' she believes, ''The only difference is that I don't cry that easily.'' Yet she's game to recreate her matronly magic with a younger cast. Let's hope viewers take to this makeover too.
Source: http://cities.expressindia.com/archivefullstory.php?newsid=1 20973&creation_date=2005-03-12

Kareena's World Senior Member
Kareena's World
Kareena's World

Posted: 12 March 2005 at 2:21pm | IP Logged
thanx for sharin
  • Page 1 of 1

Go to top