Debate Mansion

SEXUALITY debate: Why can't people live their life (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 34

Page 1
Page   of 34
Page 3 Page 34

cyrax

cyrax

Posted: 21 November 2011 at 6:57am | IP Logged
mutual consesnsus ad idem. noone should judge the homosexual people in my opinion.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "SEXUALITY debate: Why can't people live their life (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Damyanthi

Goldie

Damyanthi

Posted: 02 December 2011 at 12:08am | IP Logged

Well, I do not think it's a crime to be homosexual or bisexual. It is way a person wants to lead his/her life and as long as they do it out of choice, it's perfectly alright. And as you say, people have the right to live their lives the way they want, as long as their way of life is not a nuinsance to the public!

But sometimes, environment does play an important role in making an individual turn homosexual. Take Saudi Arabia for instance. It is probably one of the countries with a high number of gays and lesbians. It could probably be because of the stringent and dogmatic views of the country and its law. It's generally beleived that if the normal is forbidden, people take the abnormal path. In such countries, it is a crime for a man and woman who are not related to be seen together in public places. When people of the same sex gather for an event or are seen together, it does not raise suspision. And some people could see it a way of rebelling againt their country or religion. In some cases, if men and women experience traumatic experience at the hands of the opposite sex during childhood, then there is a possibility of these people seeking comfort and love from other people of their own sex. This may make them feel secure.

So, if an individual has taken the decision to be homosexual maturely, then there isn't a problem. Otherwise, they may require councelling.

Omnipotent_Taco

Goldie

Omnipotent_Taco

Posted: 02 December 2011 at 1:40am | IP Logged
Originally posted by TheUltimate

I am not against gays. Gay marriages is very debatable. I am ok them calling their union a marriage as long as it is not affecting the "traditional" marriage definition.

And how will two homosexuals, bisexuals, trannys, or hermies getting married affect the 'traditional' marriage definition? In fact, I believe this will only expand the marriage definition and make it more dynamic and fluid. Is this something to do with the fear of unions between men and women becoming quote unquote, 'extinct'?

Actually, scratch that- what is the traditional marriage definition anyway?

My views here may be inflammatory to some, but here goes. Marriage in itself is a man-made construct. They are not made in heaven, unlike what fairytale spinners who live in a candy floss world where unicorns play kabaddi and peacocks serve you tea would have you believe.

I am strictly talking about marriage here, not about relationships. In fact, I am a firm believer in the soul predetermining who its romantic partner/s may be in a certain lifetime. I am a die-hard lover of love and am not against the idea of getting married myself. What I am against, is the notion that marriage is the be-all and end-all of one's love life; like a stamp of approval of a relationship.

Marriage is actually a legally binding agreement between two individuals mainly for (1) protecting their gene pools, and (2) handling properties and assets. Ancient Talmudic/Hebrew law even went to the extent of stating that a man must marry his brother's widow in order to provide the resources required for her to live her life and secure the well-being of her offspring.

However, that is not to say that a marriage is supposed to be completely devoid of love; of course not, I'd be brutally cynical to believe otherwise. What I am saying here, is that marriage, being a legally binding agreement between two adults, should be permitted for people of all orientations.

If two gay/bi/transgender people in love would like to manage or share their respective assets with one another, I do not see why it should be disallowed. In fact, preventing queers from getting married is a violation of the fundamental human right to be recognized everywhere you go as a person before the law. Not to mention a violation of free will, but hey, free will is being stomped on everywhere you look.

And as for the OP's point about letting queers be- I don't get the hoo-haa queerphobia either. What two consenting people (or more, heh) do in their bedroom is nobody's business. They have a right to privacy.

I think what shocks most folks is the thought of gay/bi men and women or the in-betweens getting it on more than anything else LOL People are too accustomed to the thought of plugging the wires in the traditional sockets.

Edited by pinkfreud - 02 December 2011 at 1:52am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

--arti--aanyakunat-Chandramukhi-

Rehanism

IF-Dazzler

Rehanism

Posted: 02 December 2011 at 2:03am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Petrouska

But sometimes, environment does play an important role in making an individual turn homosexual. Take Saudi Arabia for instance. It is probably one of the countries with a high number of gays and lesbians. It could probably be because of the stringent and dogmatic views of the country and its law. It's generally beleived that if the normal is forbidden, people take the abnormal path. In such countries, it is a crime for a man and woman who are not related to be seen together in public places. When people of the same sex gather for an event or are seen together, it does not raise suspision. And some people could see it a way of rebelling againt their country or religion. In some cases, if men and women experience traumatic experience at the hands of the opposite sex during childhood, then there is a possibility of these people seeking comfort and love from other people of their own sex. This may make them feel secure.

So, if an individual has taken the decision to be homosexual maturely, then there isn't a problem. Otherwise, they may require councelling.

This is the real misconception, dear. People don't 'become' or 'turn' homosexual due to any pressure or trauma. Either they are homosexual or they are not. Homosexuality is not a mental disease or a self-chosen lifestyle. Its a normal and positive sexual orientation just like heterosexuality, irrespective of the society or norms or traditions.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

seoulbeatsShas3aanyakunat-Chandramukhi-Samraat_92

Damyanthi

Goldie

Damyanthi

Posted: 02 December 2011 at 3:59am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Rehanism

This is the real misconception, dear. People don't 'become' or 'turn' homosexual due to any pressure or trauma. Either they are homosexual or they are not. Homosexuality is not a mental disease or a self-chosen lifestyle. Its a normal and positive sexual orientation just like heterosexuality, irrespective of the society or norms or traditions.
True, and that is what even I thought I some time back and that's what even Wikipedia says, but there was an article some time back in a national newspaper, if I find the link, I'll definately add it. It did say whatever I said in my previous post. After reading the article, I thought it to be  a possibility.

Damyanthi

Goldie

Damyanthi

Posted: 02 December 2011 at 4:10am | IP Logged
http://www.glow.cc/isa/become_gay.htm

This isn't the aticle that I was looking for, but it says in the 4th parah that environmental factors such as child trauma or being brought up and conditioned as a memeber of the opposite sex can be one of the reasons why people "turn" homosexual.

Research has shown that it is a combination of genetic, hormonal, and environmental influences,.[3] Research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation, but no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors.[4]

Source: Wikipedia

Edited by Petrouska - 02 December 2011 at 4:24am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

veil_of_roses

Rehanism

IF-Dazzler

Rehanism

Posted: 02 December 2011 at 4:18am | IP Logged

True, and that is what even I thought I some time back and that's what even Wikipedia says, but there was an article some time back in a national newspaper, if I find the link, I'll definately add it. It did say whatever I said in my previous post. After reading the article, I thought it to be  a possibility.

I don't claim to be an expert on this, but I really don't think one can 'become' homosexual due to any trauma or disease or any other external factor - most trustworthy medical and health organizations, including WHO, agree on this.

Those organizations and NGOs (like NARTH) claiming to be capable of 'curing' gays are mostly sham with zero credibility, mainly backed by conservative societies and churches.

Edited by Rehanism - 02 December 2011 at 4:22am

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

seoulbeatsveil_of_rosesaanyakunatArwen.-Chandramukhi-Samraat_92

Arwen.

IF-Sizzlerz

Arwen.

Posted: 02 December 2011 at 4:26am | IP Logged
@Rehanism - I think Petrouska is right... In alot of conservative societies, where interactions with members of opposite sex is discouraged, there is a tendency to indulge in homosexual activities... I think it is even true for both Muslim and non-Muslim societies...I remember one of my (Indian) friends mentioned that many of girls in her college turned lesbian bcos of sexual needs. They studied in an all girl college and lived in the hostel ... so obviously any interactions with boys was discouraged... There were rumors around my college as well.

Off course.. u can't always tell if they are really homosexual or bi or just experimenting... May be it is just the teenage hormones phase and hence the confusion about sexual orientation Confused 

Edited by Arwen. - 02 December 2011 at 4:26am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top