Debate Mansion

Why vie for the Oscars?

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

scaffold

scaffold

Posted: 11 February 2006 at 8:00pm | IP Logged

I recently saw 'Rang de Basanti'. No spoiler here folks! As I was leaving the cinema I overheard someone saying that it has a good chance to be nominated for the Oscars. Then I remembered reading an article in the paper where 'Paheli' didn't get an Oscar nomination. Why do we care so much about a foreign award? Do we even know which film won the national award this year? Why do we even care who gets an Oscar?

Thoughts!

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Why vie for the Oscars?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Morgoth

IF-Veteran Member

Morgoth

--

Posted: 12 February 2006 at 12:47pm | IP Logged
i suppose its for recognition and to expand our market further. the oscars are just overhyped. even mel gibson said that he did not have the funds to do oscar-worthy promotions for "the passion of christ".

Misfit_

Goldie

Misfit_

Posted: 12 February 2006 at 3:16pm | IP Logged
what everyone else said, international recognition. Ocars are known worldwide, but hardly anyone out of india knows about filmfare awards, etc.

bollywoodfan

IF-Dazzler

bollywoodfan

Posted: 12 February 2006 at 4:43pm | IP Logged
You know you bring up a good point; I remember Amitabh Bachan once asked why we were looking for our Hindi films to do well in the Oscars when we had our own Oscars right here in India? He was saying how the Oscars is the standard recognition award for Hollywood and Filmfare and such were the standard recognition awards for Bollywood. Neither of the awards are better than each other; they are equal in their respective countries. But at the same time, I can understand the mentality of wanting a Hindi film to do well in the Oscars. The notion is that Hollywood is far better than Bollywood and therefore the awards are too. But even though thats not true, that mentality is pretty common, and unless we start to think of Bollywood as being just as good as Hollywood, things might not change that quickly...

bollywoodfan

IF-Dazzler

bollywoodfan

Posted: 12 February 2006 at 4:45pm | IP Logged
also, Bollywood has just recently been recognized nationally, while Hollywood and its awards have already established a world-wide foothold. Thats another reason oscars are kept on a pedestal.

dare_dis_devil

Groupbie

dare_dis_devil

Posted: 13 February 2006 at 11:31am | IP Logged
yeps....agree wid every1 thr...

OSCAR awars do hfe lyk...the highest recognition n' stuff lyk tat.... so, tats d simple reason y it holds so much of importance 4 film-wallahs world-wide...

btw, RDB iz one helluva kewl flick 4 sure...;-)

Lost_Soul141

IF-Rockerz

Lost_Soul141

Posted: 13 February 2006 at 3:39pm | IP Logged
thats what i donmt understand, why worry about the oscars recognising us????
we are ten times beta den hollywood and we shud be acknowledging them LOL

Post Reply New Post

Go to top