Debate Mansion

FAITh VERSUS SENTIMENTs

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

Signora2

Goldie

Signora2

Posted: 10 February 2006 at 6:53am | IP Logged

The President of America will not be paying homage at the samadhi of Mahatama Gandhi during his impending visit to India, reason it impinges on his faith, as he is a born again Christian.
The Monarch of Saudi Arabia( during his Jan visit) did not pay homage at the Mahatma's samdhi, he is  reported to have indicated that a visit to the Mahatma's memorial would violate the principles of his faith.
On the other hand then the India's current head of State, President A P J Abdul Kalam should be guilty of sacrilege for his many visits to the Samadhi.
Ironically this oversight was not given due coverage in the media, it did not draw the public orthe Congress party on a warpath nor were there cries of apology. After all Mahatma Gandhi never spoke for one particular religion he was an apostle of peace but in the changed times  religion bigotry has taken hold.
Should one's faith be the deciding factor for one's interaction and behaviour,if this were to be the case  wouldnt we be creating barriers when all religions preach respect for others sentiments?
Shouldnt President Kalam be held in high esteem for practicing a traditon that accords humanity the highest respect and  King of Saudi Arabia be censured for breaking a tradition?

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "FAITh VERSUS SENTIMENTs" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

sowmyaa

IF-Dazzler

sowmyaa

Posted: 10 February 2006 at 7:07am | IP Logged
Firstly, I find this really weired. Mahatma Gandhi samadhi is not a "temple" that person from one religious belif would have any problem going there. It's just samadhi of a person who people go to pay their regards and resepct. If President of US, or India, or Me or You do not resepct that person they would not go. I don't think it should be a religous cause...If President or US or India does not want to go to Temple 'coz they are from different faith I understand ('coz not all people are open minded and belive in human religion..which is ofcourse, sad) but samadhi of Gandhiji shoudl not be out of religion.

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 10 February 2006 at 7:21am | IP Logged
That is weird .You know earlier this week when Mrs.King(Martin Luther Kings wife ) passed away .Bush came to pay his respects . What Martin Luther King meant to the African Americans , Gandhi ji means to us . He never preached any faith . And is known to be the most secular man in our Indian History . Its not like he was asked to pay respect to a preacher of a faith . But the father of the nation who led us to freedom . Wow ! this is weird , i did not know that .

He is visting in March , hope he gets some sense by then .

sowmyaa

IF-Dazzler

sowmyaa

Posted: 10 February 2006 at 7:45am | IP Logged
I totally agree with Vishesh. Also, I think during his visit to India Clinton did visit Gandhiji's samadhi so it's just individual thing.

jasunap

IF-Sizzlerz

jasunap

Posted: 10 February 2006 at 7:46am | IP Logged
the mahatma is venerated by indians cos he got us the freedom from the english rule. he is as signora said the apostle of peace. if we worship the gound he walked on, we visit his samadhi. to expect other dignitories and state heads to pay their obeisance to our national leader is not really a matter of importance. for instance you dont find the indian dignitory visitng the grave of john f kennedy or kemal ataturk. but if they were to refuse to pay a visit to a war memorial or something like that on a memorial day, which is also done equanimously, that is a controversial matter. i dont see why this should be a problem. i mean why should we want all foreign state heads to visit gandhi's samadhi unless they request a visit? why do we have to ask these people to visit gandhi's samadhi and hear their refusal?

ANT_RAT

Groupbie

ANT_RAT

Posted: 10 February 2006 at 1:57pm | IP Logged
hey i i totaly disagree wid wat vishesh is talking about i think people of such high standards like Mahatma must be paid a visit its a memorial for our country ,like taj mahal its like this the greater u create people like president of america they should not be allowed to visit our country they have to accept it but its true he enchanted his slogans on peace and not on religions so people who really dont take this into account why should we indians only have to bear this !!! so we should be proud of it mahatma is a memorial and he shud be given a visit by every people of this world

Signora2

Goldie

Signora2

Posted: 11 February 2006 at 7:36am | IP Logged
all foreign dignatories visit leaders graves/samadhis or pay homage coz these people had a role in the building a nation or its history. REligion does not come here. Before Prz Bush discovered his faith POpe John paul had already paid a visit. It did not offend his religious beliefs, Gandhi jis has relevance world wide and will continue to do so. True u cannot force anyone but the reason given by both leaders was bizzare coz Gandhiji never preached discrimination and for him human religion was above everything, he had no ideology that went against any religion and samadhi is not religious.
maybe our leadership or we Indians have not been able to emphatically state that for GAndhiji the greatest religion was compassion and equal treatment to all.
America may be the only superpower,but in human values I am sorry to say it is going downhill.
Soon we will have christians visiting christian countries and muslim visiting muslim countries, the future scenario or the world order may becmome inward looking.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top