Page 1 Page 5
Page   of 7
Page 7 Page 7

AreYaar

IF-Addictz

AreYaar

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 4:39pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by DeepShadow

Oh heavens, I'm not sure if I would compare it to something as contrived and shallow as DMG. That show was just plain embarrassing and cringe worthy. KTLK has not sunk that low yet and I really hope it doesn't in the future.

I totally agreeLOL...I would never want to compare this to the horror that DMG was...absolute gumball fluff and nonsense by the end of it.  Even at it's worst, KTLK is much better than DMG.

This point was discussed in the early days of this show starting as well and I'll say it again...the problem is not that KTLK can't "live up to" DK...DK was a different show, from a different era...with a different format...keeping all that aside also, KTLK as a concept set in TODAY'S times also has GREAT potential...I just find it so SAD that a concept with so much potential is not done justice to...everyone takes the EASY way out...in today's fast paced times of instant gratification, WHERE will the thehraav come from? It's so much easier to put in trite situations, overacting, OTT situations, play the melodious title song/tune some 50 million times and the episode is ready to airConfusedLOL

The writing is just so...LAZY *sigh*...I don't know if it's pressures of daily soaps or just lack of talent...but seriously the situations, the characters are DRAGGED...they can write them in a MUCH better manner...but no, instead they choose to add in some rushed, cheesy "romantic" moments and that's it.

In a love story, the development of the feelings for the two protagonists, their realizations of those feelings are the most crucial part of the story in my opinion...in Nidhi's case toh that has already been bulldozed through...I have no idea what they'll do with Ashutosh in all this "viewer friendly" trip they are onLOL

The problem more than anything today on Indian TV is lack of good WRITING...this show has a good cast but how I wish they got better written material.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

AbhiAniKevajustpratiDeepShadowshamil

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "KTLK - promise unfulfilled? (Page 6)" in Kuch Toh Log Kehenge forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

DeepShadow

Goldie

DeepShadow

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 5:35pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by nureat01

Oh heavens, I'm not sure if I would compare it to something as contrived and shallow as DMG. That show was just plain embarrassing and cringe worthy. KTLK has not sunk that low yet and I really hope it doesn't in the future.

I totally agreeLOL...I would never want to compare this to the horror that DMG was...absolute gumball fluff and nonsense by the end of it.  Even at it's worst, KTLK is much better than DMG.

This point was discussed in the early days of this show starting as well and I'll say it again...the problem is not that KTLK can't "live up to" DK...DK was a different show, from a different era...with a different format...keeping all that aside also, KTLK as a concept set in TODAY'S times also has GREAT potential...I just find it so SAD that a concept with so much potential is not done justice to...everyone takes the EASY way out...in today's fast paced times of instant gratification, WHERE will the thehraav come from? It's so much easier to put in trite situations, overacting, OTT situations, play the melodious title song/tune some 50 million times and the episode is ready to airConfusedLOL

The writing is just so...LAZY *sigh*...I don't know if it's pressures of daily soaps or just lack of talent...but seriously the situations, the characters are DRAGGED...they can write them in a MUCH better manner...but no, instead they choose to add in some rushed, cheesy "romantic" moments and that's it.

In a love story, the development of the feelings for the two protagonists, their realizations of those feelings are the most crucial part of the story in my opinion...in Nidhi's case toh that has already been bulldozed through...I have no idea what they'll do with Ashutosh in all this "viewer friendly" trip they are onLOL

The problem more than anything today on Indian TV is lack of good WRITING...this show has a good cast but how I wish they got better written material.

Very well written nureat01 :)

DMG was just about the characters pent up sexual frustrations, nothing more. KTLK is so far beyond and above that.

@red - I agree completely. The show had immense potential to be something different  and provide us some respite from the same old nonsense being projected in every other show, but it seems to have failed to live up to (atleast my) expectations.

And most certainly the writing of the show is very faulty. So many things in the show are illogical and look so forced and ridiculous. There was such immense hype about Mr. Kalmesh Pandey, (the supposed writer of Rang De Basanti) writing for KTLK but now its obvious that a person who wrote a successful film script is not necessarily capable of writing an engaging tv serial script. I mean, what in God's name possessed him to come up with something as lame as the servant-instructor track? And everything in the show recently has been so superficial and cheesy, especially the way Nidhi has been behaving and her supposed realization of love. Truly disappointing!

And from what i've read, a lot of the content in Indian television is governed by TRPs. Writers/ creatives apparently alter tracks based on weekly TRPs and it seems this is exactly why this show started to get slaughtered. I went back and read some of MB's wall posts and it seems they've all been worried about the TRP since Week 1. Yes, TRP maybe indicative of the reach the show has, but it does not mean that you force in tracks that make no sense in the context of the show. I keep repeating it like a parrot but I honestly could not comprehend the absurd and corny "viewer friendly" shaadi track. At some point I even started feeling embarrassed for MB for having to act out such sheer nonsense. Its so sad that content and quality of a show is sacrificed for the sake of TRPs.

The only thing the show has been safe from till now is the falling-catching sequence, but only God knows how long it will be till the creatives decide to make the show even more "viewer friendly" and wander down that path, thereby continuing to dig the grave of KTLK. :(

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

NoCommentsjustpratiAbhiAniMehek25leo4evershamil

Mehek25

IF-Rockerz

Mehek25

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 9:14pm | IP Logged

The only thing the show has been safe from till now is the falling-catching sequence, but only God knows how long it will be till the creatives decide to make the show even more "viewer friendly" and wander down that path, thereby continuing to dig the grave of KTLK. :(

Hope we don't get these fall-catch sequences. Am sick of seeing them and also won't suit the story at all. This is a love story where one is in his 40's and is definitely totally mature... This sort of a sequence would not suit Ashu's character at all...so I only hope the CVs will not fall into the TRP trap and show something by which the entire essence of the show is lost. I don't think they will do so...this team seems to be quite mature enough and I am sure they will stick to letting this be a mature love story as they have originally claimed it to be.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

ozone1justpratiAbhiAnileo4evershamil

annie_mckinnen

annie_mckinnen

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 11:54pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by DMGFan-2b-not2b

Hey am glad that this post motivated you to write cos I really enjoyed reading your post'

I agree that the environments are completely different ' not just the Pakistan of the 80s but I think even the India and Pakistan of modern times would have social differences that shape people's responses and personalities..

I agree Nidhi is a girl born and brought up in a modern India, daughter of an indulgent father who in almost everything encourages her to be her own person and make her own decisions (even in the instance of talking to Ashutosh abt the house he never forces her hand), and I must add, that it gives me great joy when I see a young woman willing to do the proverbial "down on the knee" and propose to a guy rather than waiting for the guy to voice his commitment, but I see the point in it if I can see the events / circumstances that lead to it'in this case, Nidhi's new found love completely baffles me'and her romantic attachment for Ashutosh doesn't seem to have any basis.. yup I know love is blind and all that J but unless it was the tongue lashing that she got from Ashutosh that set her off down the proverbial forbidden path, I can't see the raison d'etre for her declaration of love ' I could understand her being fascinated by the man, spending time with him etc but not this'

I agree with what you say about the writers not doing a good job of explaining exactly why she has fallen for Dr. A (apparently it has something to do with the fact that he says she can be a good doctor and he will miss her for that), but in her defence she never admitted until now that she was in love! According to the promos she will do so today Nov 21. Until now she has been acting like a teenager with a crush on her high school English teacher!

..and I can completely understand Ashutosh's defences being swept away by a hurricane called Nidhi.. but that to my mind, would make him indulgent, and a lil warmer towards her but initially just that'

Agree again! What's with him becoming like a character from Beverley Hills or Glee :)

Which is why I actually like the point where they parted in the last episode and why I have hopes of this serial still'Lalaland time is over ' Nidhi's woken up to the fact that no matter how much he appreciates his alarm clock, at the end of the day he is still that "khadoos" strict doctor who takes and gives no quarters as far as his profession goes..

'and Ashutosh also realises that while he may allow her to intrude on his personal space, he needs to decide whether he can allow that in the professional space as well and whether his judgement of her personal charms should be allowed to cloud his professional one'

Yes I loved that scene too. She stood her ground and didn't cry or do anything senti, but acted very maturely. He was firm, but reasonable. They have both come out of their fairy tale cocoons and hopefully reality will strike and mellow both of them down. I wish :)

I guess my fear is that not only is the treatment too filmy, as u rightly said, it doesn't allow you to really feel for the characters or associate with their emotional trials & tribulations.. not only that, once you've shown them falling love so quickly, what then next? A series of saas-bahu like problems or X getting married to Y..  Y getting engaged to Z and so on so forth? JNahiii!!!!!!!!! J

But like I said, they're at a point where they can still do lots with the serial, so shall def continue to watch!

P.S> Will def read your blog post..

You've hit the nail on the head. The characters become caricatures instead of someone you can empathize or connect with. Today is the test. How they take the show from now will reveal how much guts the CVs have!

If you read my blog do please leave a comment. I would love to hear from a critical and eloquent person such as yourself.

RockChicGirl

IF-Stunnerz

RockChicGirl

Posted: 21 November 2011 at 12:44am | IP Logged

Having grown-up with a crush on Dr Ahmer, and, a secret desire to be a Zoya to his Ahmer, I am painfully aware that I have a huge bias when I am writing this post. Though I probably saw Dhoop Kinare when the Paki TV series popularity was on the wane, Dhoop Kinare left an indelible impression on my young mind and I have undoubtedly, regarded that as one of the greatest love stories ever told.

This is why I started to watch KTLK with great trepidation, wary of seeing my favourite story being butchered.

I was pleasantly surprised. KTLK is a wonderful refreshing change from the saas-bahu sagas, or the rural Indian story or even the bubble gum love stories that seem to populate Indian TV. An actual story, great pace, a bunch of characters that appear to have a story of their own rather than being props for the lead pair, well sketched out characters and extremely competent actors to bring them to life.

However, after the initial excitement, I must confess to being a little disappointed. The charm of Dhoop Kinare (DP) lay in the gradual development of attraction and the acknowledgement of that.. there were episodes where the lead pair didn't even have scenes anywhere close to romantic together... a series of events, episodes, conversations threw them together.. and they fell in love, slowly but inexorably, true to their characterisations...

Dr Nidhi going berserk and landing up at 7 am every morning, changing a guy's curtains, refusing to go on a Europe trip, over-reacting to everything related to Dr Ashutosh I feel is a little forced...

Dr Ashutosh, a recluse, a man tormented by his adopted father's betrayal, bitter in the knowledge that another person meant the world to the man who meant the world to him - behaving like a kid who's excited at the thought of his favourite ice-cream, calling Dr Nidhi and talking about alarm clocks.. I don't know ' it's so out of character for him and takes away the depth and the charm of that romance..

Ahmer and Zoya were compelling cos their silence spoke volumes, Zoya was as ebullient as Nidhi is, but her relationship with Ahmer developed from disdain to fear to immense respect and finally love... KTLK isn't charting any of those emotions - Nidhi is like a love struck teenager with her first crush..

I understand  KTLK is not DP, just the basic premise is same, but it's difficult not to draw comparisons'

I feel that under the pressure to provide romantic fodder, the CVs are rushing with the story.. romance is not just about dancing at a wedding, hiding shoes, making hare chane ki curry, and being cute - yes these are all part of it, but over time..

I just feel the romance is rushed...and everything amplified.. like Dr Mallika has suddenly emerged as this all out villain threatening to get rid of Nidhi..there are so many shades to her - a woman who has spent her life waiting for this one man to recognize her as a woman, whose love she has yearned forwhile she has patiently been a good friend to him.. her sense of frustration, her insecurities, they've been ignored and she's this horribly villainous character!

Don't get me wrong.. it's still a very good serial, and, I enjoy watching it but I just think it could have been so much better! Honestly there are some cringe worthy moments whether its Nidhi's behavior around and about Ashutosh or Ashutosh's eager beaver responses to her! I just hope that the CVs don't buckle to "We want a hug" and demands and requests for more romantic scenes..

Compared to the crap one sees on telly, this so far is a  very good product, I just wish they would be a little more patient, and, a little more real! 

There is a beautiful word which defines the underlying ethos of DP, which is missing in KTLK so far '-"kashish"! But I watch in hope!

Lovely post! The show went haywire since the time Dr Nidhi quit the hospital. Added to that maybe it was just my expectation but I thought the main reason for differences between Ashu and Nidhi would be their characteristics and approach. But Ashu isnt as stern as I expected him to be and he even likes Nidhi's methods right from the start. So where is the conflict?
I loathe to admit it but KTLK's timeslot competitor Iss Pyaar Ko is handling the romance build up better best the cliches. Even the non-romantic Saathiya has handled the slow falling of love of leads much better that fans can now savor the moments when they are actually falling in love.
Though I can tolerate KTLK better than the above two shows mentioned here I have more or less quit watching it.  

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Goldie

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Posted: 21 November 2011 at 8:47am | IP Logged
Originally posted by lotus1963

A most wonderfully written post and a very apt one at that. This is what I have also been feeling for quite some time now as an ardent fellow DK fan. I started watching this serial only because it was touted as being a remake of my all time favourite DK and yes I too have felt exactly the same way as you do.
As another poster mentioned times have indeed changed and today boasts of a mostly superficial and quick fix generation. Nidhi seems to reflect this to the hilt. If this is indeed so and the way the love aspect has been explored in such a jiffy I wonder how the same quick fix logic would not apply in the aftermath of full blooded love making its appearance. Yes the tehraav and profoundness are sorely missing. Dr Ahmer's character is also losing out on a rational characterization. The angst is missing, the agony portrayed by the original protagonist is missing. Well we will just have to wait and watch whether a semblance of logic will be reinstated or not. And another huge casualty as many have mentioned has been Dr Mallika. Such a promising character totally gone to waste.

I am also watching it mainly because of MB who I am a huge fan of primarily because of his mother I strongly suspect at least initially.

Rather sad about the TRP game though. Aren't there enough DK lovers out there to make it work even without all these TRP gimmicks be cause at least with them these gimmicks seem to be working at cross purposes.

To conclude may be we should as a few posters have suggested view this as a completely new serial and not let DK cloud our vision?? Not sure if I am myself convinced yet of this way of dealing with it since DK is a far too potent precedent and not one to be forgotten so easily.

Random musings these were. Sorry to thrust them on you all. Just couldn't help but comment given how beautiful the original post was!!

It is rather sad that TRP game determines the way serial goes but on another level it even sorrier state of our sensibilities if indeed the TRPs reflect what the audiences want to see.. sometimes I really wonder which audiences do the TRP machines actually poll?

Unfortunately, no amount of DK lovers would help the cause, and, perhaps it should not.. they shld have the creative licensce to make KTLK different but I wish they would make it better instead of carricaturing the whole thing!

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Goldie

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Posted: 21 November 2011 at 8:51am | IP Logged

Ah, another DK fan! Yipee!

Though  while part of my dissappointment with KTLK stems from a comparision with DK,  even if I view it as a standalone serial, they seem to be rushing headlong into a romantic entanglement rather than a lovely, paced out realisation...

And I agree, DK is classic simply because of the way it was handled.. and I think the stories other than Ahmer - be it the relationship between Fazeelat, the father and Zoya, the story of Dr Ifran and Anji, or the life of Dr Sheena - they were handled with great care and depth so much so that you even understand and sympathise with what Sheena does and why she does it.. on the contrary, Mallika just comes across as a slightly more refined version of the scheming bahu!

Yup, I think at this point in time, KTLK lacks the depth, the consistency and the maturity it takes to make a truly outstanding show. I can't help but compare it to Di Mill Gaye which when it started was very refreshing till they lost the plot a year and bit later.. but that was a youth show, directed at medical interns, about their falling in love with each other... so it worked... but this as you pointed out is suppossed to be a MATURE love story - it can't be anything else with the hero being a 40-8 yearold..

The issue is not that its not like DK, the sadness is that they are not being true to his character... frankly in all of Dr Nidhi - Dr Ashutosh's interactions, I have seen very lil that should have made Nidhi fall in love with him :-( unless you count having seen his vest clad body while she washedhis shirt, lol!

P.S. What is the 28 episode show? Sorry I am lost on this?

@Red - Exactly! That is the main problem here. There was no build up to Nidhi falling in love with Ashutosh. I could have probably digested scenes like Nidhi flopping in and out of Ashutosh's house had they shown her gradually developing some feelings for him, but here she pranced around with him in the rain and then Anji said she's in love and then within no time she was desperately chasing after Ashutosh. There was really no sense to it ... I've read that Nidhi's character is considered a "child-woman"...however Nidhi's portrayal is more of a child than a woman at the moment.

@Blue - Oh my God, that scene had me digging my face in my hands. I don't understand what they were trying to show...that Ashutosh is a dignified, focused, no-nonsense character  within hospital grounds but outside the four walls of the hospital he turns into a feeble little thing who loses all his sensibility and does not have the ability to say no...Confused. And such kind of scenes are "viewer friendly"...huh? Confused...And even in the recent episodes, why does he give Nidhi the freedom to visit whenever and whenever she wants? They showed him saying that to her despite his slight hesitation after reading her note and seeing the rose? Confused...Ashutosh's character graph fluctuates with every episode it seems, but atleast its still better than Nidhi's.

Sorry, I meant 14 episode show (DK). I thought that the development of the love track would have been more slow and well-developed since KTLK is not going to finish off in 14 episodes like DK, but it seems that in the desperation to hike their TRPs the writers of the show are rushing into everything.

Sometimes I think, they should actually do shows which are only 50-60 episodes.. maybe then we would get to see some sensible television.. right now the TRP pressure mounts cos they all want the stupid serial to run for 1,2,3 whatever number of years.. no creative person, no matter how gifted, can maintain a great storyline for so long and hold audience interest... which is why overseas you have Seasons for series... it gives the audience a break, it gives the writers to mull over, figure what they want to do.. any long running series even in the West, say a Santa Barbara suffers exactly the same fate as our long running ones do! Complete crap! :-))

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Goldie

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Posted: 21 November 2011 at 9:04am | IP Logged
Originally posted by nureat01

In defense of DMG, (if at all it remained defensible) I must say :-)) it didn't start out too bad.. I guess the moment the madness over KSG took over, the show was over... In fact I actually used to think that if Ihad a girl and she was this desperate, and this crazy about a TV actor, I would be seriously worried and stressed, lol! 

I agree KTLK is a diff show in a diff social environment and a diff era but the subtlety of romance, which was intended to be the bedrock of this serial,is completely lost... a modern setting doesn't preclude sensible characterisations or  gradual falling inlove that generally happens in real life no matter which century you belong to :-)) instant gratification is a differnet kind of relationshipall together! Wink

Yup, maybe plain lazy, or maybe worried by lack of TRPs or for all you know that is the kind of TV they would like to watch - its their sensibility...

Though sometimes I think I would like to try my hand at writing serials - tho God alone knows what crap I would turn out, lol! Then some smart cookie like me will tear it apart, lol! 

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Kuch Toh Log Kehenge Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.