Page 1 Page 4
Page   of 7
Page 6 Page 7

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Goldie

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 11:21am | IP Logged
Originally posted by annie_mckinnen

I almost never post anything on this forum, but this post touches on so many things that I have been thinking about that I have to respond. I had heard of DK in my childhood, but watched it online just recently after hearing that KTLK was an adaptation of it. I absolutely loved DK and for that reason also the first few weeks of KTLK when practically every scene was copied from DK. Then Nidhi quit and things went haywire! I kept wondering why Nidhi quit? I had wondered the same thing about Zoya ' why did she stay? The answer lies in a small scene in one of the early episodes that almost went unnoticed. When Anjie asks Nidhi to talk to her dad about fashion design Nidhi boldly goes to his office, pulls out the red lamp and marches in even though she knows that Anjie's dad will be very angry. In the corresponding scene in DK, Zoya goes up to his office very boldly but then seeing the red lamp becomes scared and enters only after Anjie insists. Therein lies the difference between the two characters. Zoya is a product of 80s Pakistan ' ebullient owing to her upbringing but also very cultured, ladylike and measured. Nidhi on the other hand is the product of modern India, she is of the Internet generation ' strong willed, fearless, aggressive, smart (after all she got 14th rank) and most of all supremely self confident. She wants what she wants and no one can stop her from getting it. That explains both of their decisions. Once Nidhi is freed from her father's promise to her mother and she only has to think for herself, she takes the decision to quit because she doesn't want to be a doctor. She doesn't let emotion get in her way ' earrings, children, etc. I know girls like that! But Zoya makes a more emotional decision ' after all he did return his earrings, which humanized Ahmer for her.

When Nidhi develops a crush on Ashutosh, she becomes as we all often do ' restless, eager to meet the object of our affections. But then we act with caution and restrain ourselves. Nidhi doesn't care for restraint. If she wants to see him she will, as she says, "Jab dil karta hai tab aa jaati hoon." She is willing to work to make her place in his life. And using this brashness she pushes through Ashutosh's defences. As he says, "Woh ladki pagal hai, mujeh bhi pagal kar degi. Par us se naaraz bhi nahin raha jaata." She is like this strong wind that blows away everything in its path. Hence we see him softening to her advances. So the progression of the story is well explained by the characters.

Now whether I like this progression of the story is another matter all together. I don't. It is too filmy for my tastes ' the rain and making tea in the dark and everything else. The situations are very unreal ' how many people really stop the car to get wet in the rain in the middle of the night? After that episode I have found myself cringing several times at Nidhi's behaviour and a few times at Ashutosh's actions too ' yes I mean the alarm clock as you said :) But then I guess I am old fashioned ' I also cringe when some of bolder friends do certain things so that says a lot! I loved the romance of DK. The most romantic scene was when they sit by a sick child's bedside and him sleep by telling him a story and there is a single light coming in from an open window. Absolutely beautiful! None of the scenes evoked such a response in me except that one line in the wedding scene where Ashutosh says to Nidhi, "Agar aap kisi se naaraz hain to bhool jaaiye." It was natural.

I guess this is a reflection of our times. We don't have patience to watch a slow serial. I also posted some thoughts on this on my blog. You can check it out if you like

http://thisisnotanotherfoodblog.wordpress.com/2011/11/11/off-topic-ruminations-on-indian-television-part-1/

and

http://thisisnotanotherfoodblog.wordpress.com/2011/11/11/off-topic-ruminations-on-indian-television-part-2/.

Still as you said I continue to watch KTLK as an eternal optimist that the CVs will turn this around.

Hey am glad that this post motivated you to write cos I really enjoyed reading your post'

I agree that the environments are completely different ' not just the Pakistan of the 80s but I think even the India and Pakistan of modern times would have social differences that shape people's responses and personalities..

I agree Nidhi is a girl born and brought up in a modern India, daughter of an indulgent father who in almost everything encourages her to be her own person and make her own decisions (even in the instance of talking to Ashutosh abt the house he never forces her hand), and I must add, that it gives me great joy when I see a young woman willing to do the proverbial "down on the knee" and propose to a guy rather than waiting for the guy to voice his commitment, but I see the point in it if I can see the events / circumstances that lead to it'in this case, Nidhi's new found love completely baffles me'and her romantic attachment for Ashutosh doesn't seem to have any basis.. yup I know love is blind and all that J but unless it was the tongue lashing that she got from Ashutosh that set her off down the proverbial forbidden path, I can't see the raison d'etre for her declaration of love ' I could understand her being fascinated by the man, spending time with him etc but not this'

..and I can completely understand Ashutosh's defences being swept away by a hurricane called Nidhi.. but that to my mind, would make him indulgent, and a lil warmer towards her but initially just that'

Which is why I actually like the point where they parted in the last episode and why I have hopes of this serial still'Lalaland time is over ' Nidhi's woken up to the fact that no matter how much he appreciates his alarm clock, at the end of the day he is still that "khadoos" strict doctor who takes and gives no quarters as far as his profession goes..

'and Ashutosh also realises that while he may allow her to intrude on his personal space, he needs to decide whether he can allow that in the professional space as well and whether his judgement of her personal charms should be allowed to cloud his professional one'

I guess my fear is that not only is the treatment too filmy, as u rightly said, it doesn't allow you to really feel for the characters or associate with their emotional trials & tribulations.. not only that, once you've shown them falling love so quickly, what then next? A series of saas-bahu like problems or X getting married to Y..  Y getting engaged to Z and so on so forth? JNahiii!!!!!!!!! J

But like I said, they're at a point where they can still do lots with the serial, so shall def continue to watch!

P.S> Will def read your blog post..

Edited by DMGFan-2b-not2b - 20 November 2011 at 11:25am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

AbhiAniDeepShadowAreYaar

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "KTLK - promise unfulfilled? (Page 5)" in Kuch Toh Log Kehenge forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Goldie

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 11:22am | IP Logged
Originally posted by roopalgupta

i fully agree with u
but what can we do afterall we indians love such things and also u can't except anything more good from a indian show

I wouldn't say that... there have been some goos soaps with great stories but unfortunately they've all met with a premature end, lol!

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Goldie

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 11:23am | IP Logged
Originally posted by ujs30

one thing is very odd. nidhi now realized that she is in love with ashu. then what was that like making tea, khana and all that? was that only a liking for ashu? in this part our makers fall short. they don't know how to handle such a delecate story.

:-))

NoComments

NoComments

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 11:59am | IP Logged
A very interesting topic and wonderful posts by all esp topic starter...

And I completely agree... I have not seen DK yet and plan to do so at a stretch when I get some time off my work, but what had attracted me to KLTK in the initial days was that it was refreshingly different. I got attracted to the show due to MB (who I think is the best that television has - had been a huge fan of him since the Sanjeevani days), and also the very interesting promos... I loved the initial subtlety,  the natural characters.. Alas all that got lost gradually... The CVs had this sudden need to rush everything down the viewer throat.. They probably thought that showing quick age romance was the only key to high TRPs and there the uniqueness of the show was lost.. The hospital backdrop was perfect, the chief surgeon, senior doctor and intern setting was just right to create so many beautiful moments between all of them, keeping the essence of the show right and not showing any of them in the bad light.. I personally thought Mallika was such a strong character, having gone through so much in life, and why does suddenly need to be all bad and be pitted against Nidhi... Nidhi is a young, energetic doctor and she can contribute so much in making Kotnis a better place than just directing everything for Ashutosh.. The transformation of Ashutosh from Stone-heart to someone enjoying hare chane ki chatni so sudden that it just makes you question the depth of the character that the CVs are trying to project.. Very very dissapointing... I used to be regular viewer of the show and  now I only catch up when there is nothing else to do...

I completely agree with many others that 'kashish' and 'thehrav' are the key to such love-stories being able to touch hearts and that is not just there.. Not sure if anyone here remembers a serial called 'Sparsh' - DD days - Divya Seth, Anand Mathur and Mrinal Pandey... Such a sensitive and yet passionate love story.. Tale of infidelity, but told in such a subtle manner, that your heart will go out to Anand and Mrinal equally, as it would go to Divya.., You would love Anand and Mrinal together.. and yet you would also love the moments spent between Anand and Divya.. That is how love stories are made.. That is how they are remembered for a life-time!

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

DeepShadow

lotus1963

lotus1963

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 12:30pm | IP Logged
A most wonderfully written post and a very apt one at that. This is what I have also been feeling for quite some time now as an ardent fellow DK fan. I started watching this serial only because it was touted as being a remake of my all time favourite DK and yes I too have felt exactly the same way as you do.
As another poster mentioned times have indeed changed and today boasts of a mostly superficial and quick fix generation. Nidhi seems to reflect this to the hilt. If this is indeed so and the way the love aspect has been explored in such a jiffy I wonder how the same quick fix logic would not apply in the aftermath of full blooded love making its appearance. Yes the tehraav and profoundness are sorely missing. Dr Ahmer's character is also losing out on a rational characterization. The angst is missing, the agony portrayed by the original protagonist is missing. Well we will just have to wait and watch whether a semblance of logic will be reinstated or not. And another huge casualty as many have mentioned has been Dr Mallika. Such a promising character totally gone to waste.
I am also watching it mainly because of MB who I am a huge fan of primarily because of his mother I strongly suspect at least initially.
Rather sad about the TRP game though. Aren't there enough DK lovers out there to make it work even without all these TRP gimmicks because at least with them these gimmicks seem to be working at cross purposes.
To conclude may be we should as a few posters have suggested view this as a completely new serial and not let DK cloud our vision?? Not sure if I am myself convinced yet of this way of dealing with it since DK is a far too potent precedent and not one to be forgotten so easily.
Random musings these were. Sorry to thrust them on you all. Just couldn't help but comment given how beautiful the original post was!!

DeepShadow

NoComments

NoComments

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 12:53pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by NoComments

And I completely agree... I have not seen DK yet and plan to do so at a stretch when I get some time off my work, but what had attracted me to KLTK in the initial days was that it was refreshingly different. I got attracted to the show due to MB (who I think is the best that television has - had been a huge fan of him since the Sanjeevani days), and also the very interesting promos... I loved the initial subtlety, the natural characters.. Alas all that got lost gradually... The CVs had this sudden need to rush everything down the viewer throat.. They probably thought that showing quick age romance was the only key to high TRPs and there the uniqueness of the show was lost.. The hospital backdrop was perfect, the chief surgeon, senior doctor and intern setting was just right to create so many beautiful moments between all of them, keeping the essence of the show right and not showing any of them in the bad light.. I personally thought Mallika was such a strong character, having gone through so much in life, and why does suddenly need to be all bad and be pitted against Nidhi... Nidhi is a young, energetic doctor and she can contribute so much in making Kotnis a better place than just directing everything for Ashutosh.. The transformation of Ashutosh from Stone-heart to someone enjoying hare chane ki chatni so sudden that it just makes you question the depth of the character that the CVs are trying to project.. Very very dissapointing... I used to be regular viewer of the show and now I only catch up when there is nothing else to do...

I completely agree with many others that 'kashish' and 'thehrav' are the key to such love-stories being able to touch hearts and that is not just there.. Not sure if anyone here remembers a serial called 'Sparsh' - DD days - Divya Seth, Anand Mathur and Mrinal Pandey... Such a sensitive and yet passionate love story.. Tale of infidelity, but told in such a subtle manner, that your heart will go out to Anand and Mrinal equally, as it would go to Divya.., You would love Anand and Mrinal together.. and yet you would also love the moments spent between Anand and Divya.. That is how love stories are made.. That is how they are remembered for a life-time!

A quick correction on the actors of Sparsh - it was Divya Seth, Mrinal Pandey and Mahesh Thakur playing the lead characters, and the name of Mahesh's character was Anand.. So strong was the portrayal that the name Anand Mathur came naturally to me.. Well, that's what differentiates classics from the rest.

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Goldie

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 2:04pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by NoComments

And I completely agree... I have not seen DK yet and plan to do so at a stretch when I get some time off my work, but what had attracted me to KLTK in the initial days was that it was refreshingly different. I got attracted to the show due to MB (who I think is the best that television has - had been a huge fan of him since the Sanjeevani days), and also the very interesting promos... I loved the initial subtlety,  the natural characters.. Alas all that got lost gradually... The CVs had this sudden need to rush everything down the viewer throat.. They probably thought that showing quick age romance was the only key to high TRPs and there the uniqueness of the show was lost.. The hospital backdrop was perfect, the chief surgeon, senior doctor and intern setting was just right to create so many beautiful moments between all of them, keeping the essence of the show right and not showing any of them in the bad light.. I personally thought Mallika was such a strong character, having gone through so much in life, and why does suddenly need to be all bad and be pitted against Nidhi... Nidhi is a young, energetic doctor and she can contribute so much in making Kotnis a better place than just directing everything for Ashutosh.. The transformation of Ashutosh from Stone-heart to someone enjoying hare chane ki chatni so sudden that it just makes you question the depth of the character that the CVs are trying to project.. Very very dissapointing... I used to be regular viewer of the show and  now I only catch up when there is nothing else to do...

Do, do watch it, and you will absolutely love it!

I do remember Sparsh. it was a beautiful serial.. and thats what I am talking about.. Krishna and Anand never actually said "I love you" but their interactions spoke volumes...I agree thats how lasting love stories are made!

NoComments

DeepShadow

Goldie

DeepShadow

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 4:26pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by DMGFan-2b-not2b

Ah, another DK fan! Yipee!

Though  while part of my dissappointment with KTLK stems from a comparision with DK,  even if I view it as a standalone serial, they seem to be rushing headlong into a romantic entanglement rather than a lovely, paced out realisation...

And I agree, DK is classic simply because of the way it was handled.. and I think the stories other than Ahmer - be it the relationship between Fazeelat, the father and Zoya, the story of Dr Ifran and Anji, or the life of Dr Sheena - they were handled with great care and depth so much so that you even understand and sympathise with what Sheena does and why she does it.. on the contrary, Mallika just comes across as a slightly more refined version of the scheming bahu!

Yup, I think at this point in time, KTLK lacks the depth, the consistency and the maturity it takes to make a truly outstanding show. I can't help but compare it to Di Mill Gaye which when it started was very refreshing till they lost the plot a year and bit later.. but that was a youth show, directed at medical interns, about their falling in love with each other... so it worked... but this as you pointed out is suppossed to be a MATURE love story - it can't be anything else with the hero being a 40-8 yearold..

The issue is not that its not like DK, the sadness is that they are not being true to his character... frankly in all of Dr Nidhi - Dr Ashutosh's interactions, I have seen very lil that should have made Nidhi fall in love with him :-( unless you count having seen his vest clad body while she washedhis shirt, lol!

P.S. What is the 28 episode show? Sorry I am lost on this?

@Red - Exactly! That is the main problem here. There was no build up to Nidhi falling in love with Ashutosh. I could have probably digested scenes like Nidhi flopping in and out of Ashutosh's house had they shown her gradually developing some feelings for him, but here she pranced around with him in the rain and then Anji said she's in love and then within no time she was desperately chasing after Ashutosh. There was really no sense to it ... I've read that Nidhi's character is considered a "child-woman"...however Nidhi's portrayal is more of a child than a woman at the moment.

Oh heavens, I'm not sure if I would compare it to something as contrived and shallow as DMG. That show was just plain embarrassing and cringe worthy. KTLK has not sunk that low yet and I really hope it doesn't in the future.

@Blue - Oh my God, that scene had me digging my face in my hands. I don't understand what they were trying to show...that Ashutosh is a dignified, focused, no-nonsense character  within hospital grounds but outside the four walls of the hospital he turns into a feeble little thing who loses all his sensibility and does not have the ability to say no...Confused. And such kind of scenes are "viewer friendly"...huh? Confused...And even in the recent episodes, why does he give Nidhi the freedom to visit whenever and whenever she wants? They showed him saying that to her despite his slight hesitation after reading her note and seeing the rose? Confused...Ashutosh's character graph fluctuates with every episode it seems, but atleast its still better than Nidhi's.

Sorry, I meant 14 episode show (DK). I thought that the development of the love track would have been more slow and well-developed since KTLK is not going to finish off in 14 episodes like DK, but it seems that in the desperation to hike their TRPs the writers of the show are rushing into everything.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

shamilAreYaar

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Kuch Toh Log Kehenge Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.