Page   of 7
Page 5 Page 7

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Goldie

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 3:29am | IP Logged
Originally posted by nureat01

Originally posted by DMGFan-2b-not2b

Ahmer and Zoya were compelling cos their silence spoke volumes, Zoya was as ebullient as Nidhi is, but her relationship with Ahmer developed from disdain to fear to immense respect and finally love... KTLK isn't charting any of those emotions - Nidhi is like a love struck teenager with her first crush..

I just feel the romance is rushed...and everything amplified..

There is a beautiful word which defines the underlying ethos of DP, which is missing in KTLK so far ' kashish! But I watch in hope!

Lovely post! I especially agree with these bits...I had some expectations from this show when it started cuz I felt it started off on a good note and was carving it's own identity in a sense beyond the concept of DK but then as the show progressed, many TRP type elements were added in which left me disappointed and at times irritated with the show.

Finally I gave up having any expectations and am now watching this show mainly for MB's charm and that is why I still watch this show on and off...

Along with KASHISH as you pointed out, THEHRAAV is missing as well...which is what would have made this unusual relationship b/w two individuals so interesting but the makers have chosen not to go that route...alas.

Right now the show has taken a turn towards showing Nidhi like a giddy schoolgirl with a crush on her professor...there is not much maturity in her feelings or her bond with Ashutosh...I'm not sure if that will be evolved in the future or things will just remain at this surface level only.

Perect, I think the word thehraav along with  kashish and subtlety  beautifully sums up whats missing :-((

You know I started to watch cos I read about the chemistry between Dr Nidhi & Dr Ashutosh..and thats when I figured it was based on DK...and I thought the initial episodes were rather nice..

Ashutosh is not a goddy teenager or a man undergoing mid-life crises... and Nidhi is old enough at 24 and a doctor... the relationship is compelling only when its not rushed... Pride & Prejudice was compelling cos Darcy & Elizabeth were such unlikely suitors and yet they came together despiteall their differences and misgivings! Wish Rajan Sahai would realise that!!

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

KevaDeepShadowAreYaar

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "KTLK - promise unfulfilled? (Page 4)" in Kuch Toh Log Kehenge forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Goldie

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 6:14am | IP Logged
Originally posted by DeepShadow

Originally posted by DMGFan-2b-not2b

However, after the initial excitement, I must confess to being a little disappointed. The charm of Dhoop Kinare (DP) lay in the gradual development of attraction and the acknowledgement of that.. there were episodes where the lead pair didn't even have scenes anywhere close to romantic together... a series of events, episodes, conversations threw them together.. and they fell in love, slowly but inexorably, true to their characterisations...

Dr Nidhi going berserk and landing up at 7 am every morning, changing a guy's curtains, refusing to go on a Europe trip, over-reacting to everything related to Dr Ashutosh I feel is a little forced...

Dr Ashutosh, a recluse, a man tormented by his adopted father's betrayal, bitter in the knowledge that another person meant the world to the man who meant the world to him - behaving like a kid who's excited at the thought of his favourite ice-cream, calling Dr Nidhi and talking about alarm clocks.. I don't know ' it's so out of character for him and takes away the depth and the charm of that romance..

I have to say, the lines in red are so well put and summarize the reasons why DK is still considered a classic. Not only the characters themselves even the backdrop of a hospital and the medical profession were so well handled and portrayed in the most realistic manner. The long hours, the emotional trauma, the stress, the hardships of the profession were executed so brilliantly. The relationship between Zoya and Ahmer had depth and was developed slowly and gradually over time and depicted in a very mature manner. The writing and direction of the show is what I believe made the show what it truly became.Thats what KTLK thoroughly lacks, there is no depth, there is no consistency, there is no logic or sense and the writing, screenplay and direction is absolutely inane.

The first two weeks of the show were actually interesting but that was mainly due to the fact that everything was pretty much copy pasted from DK but once Nidhi quit, the show went haywire. Some of the most ridiculous scenes came in the form of kids going on a hunger strike, running away from hospital, the hospital turning into some sort of a Nidhi Verma fan club...and the shaadi track that ensued was extremely cringe inducing. Apparently that was the creatives reaction to the lower than expected TRPs of the show. It seems like the writers had no faith in their own show and thus resorted to a really lame track which apparently is considered "viewer friendly". I've been finding it very hard to make sense of the show with Nidhi landing up at Dr. Ashutosh's place every day and acting like his nurse/maid/counselor/interior decorator/cook etc. Its been only a week according to the shows timeline yet she is behaving like a lovesick puppy who is chasing after Dr. Ashutosh, which is just extremely embarrassing. 

Till last nights episode I thought Dr. Ashutosh had atleast some redeeming qualities left but sadly with ice-cream and alarm clocks that has flown out of the window too. The shaadi track was the WORST thing that ever happened to this show. Both Nidhi and Ashutosh's characters seem to have done a major back flip ever since all the shirt washing - getting wet in the rain nonsense came around. It was so so so so cringe inducing to see all of that.

Sigh...the story itself is supposed to be MATURE but it seems the writing of this show is very very IMMATURE. It all seems to be a game of TRPs with the makers become desperate with each week to get their numbers up by throwing in anything and everything. I'm still hoping beyond hope that somehow sense strikes the writers and they come up with more meaningful tracks and scenes to develop the story further. I know they are aiming to stretch out a 28 episode show but that is not enough reason for the weird and stupid tracks being forced into the show. Monish Behl and Kritika Kamra are capable of delivering so much more than what they're currently being subjected to so atleast for their sake, especially MB's, I hope the writers re-evaluate their writing and get a grip of things quickly. 

Ah, another DK fan! Yipee!

Though  while part of my dissappointment with KTLK stems from a comparision with DK,  even if I view it as a standalone serial, they seem to be rushing headlong into a romantic entanglement rather than a lovely, paced out realisation...

And I agree, DK is classic simply because of the way it was handled.. and I think the stories other than Ahmer - be it the relationship between Fazeelat, the father and Zoya, the story of Dr Ifran and Anji, or the life of Dr Sheena - they were handled with great care and depth so much so that you even understand and sympathise with what Sheena does and why she does it.. on the contrary, Mallika just comes across as a slightly more refined version of the scheming bahu!

Yup, I think at this point in time, KTLK lacks the depth, the consistency and the maturity it takes to make a truly outstanding show. I can't help but compare it to Di Mill Gaye which when it started was very refreshing till they lost the plot a year and bit later.. but that was a youth show, directed at medical interns, about their falling in love with each other... so it worked... but this as you pointed out is suppossed to be a MATURE love story - it can't be anything else with the hero being a 40-8 yearold..

The issue is not that its not like DK, the sadness is that they are not being true to his character... frankly in all of Dr Nidhi - Dr Ashutosh's interactions, I have seen very lil that should have made Nidhi fall in love with him :-( unless you count having seen his vest clad body while she washedhis shirt, lol!

P.S. What is the 28 episode show? Sorry I am lost on this?

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

DeepShadow

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Goldie

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 6:22am | IP Logged
Originally posted by ashblore

I have never seen DK nor know the actors.
For me KTLK has been a refreshing & different show.
Nidhi is afterall an Intern who has just completed her studies & joined her first job so she is bound to be immature,bubbly,oozing with enthusiasm.Thats how her character is in this show & thats what makes her different from Ashu or Mallika.This is the main character which draws Ashu towards her otherwise if you see Ashu & Mallika are of same nature-serious,strict hardly any humour in their life. 
So Nidhi's character is refreshing & I am sure the CVs will show her slowly evolving into a mature & responsible doctor and she will gain more respect in the eyes of Ashu.

Also one more thing I liked about this show is the whatever few  romance/romantic scenes have been between ASHNI looked different from what we see in the daily soaps be it candle light tea making,ashu looking at the roses have all been lovely scenes.

Coming to changing the curtains I think Nidhi wanted ashu to come out of his bad mood & make him feel cheerful.If he kept looking at the torn curtains he would think of his past & his frustrations so as she said "Jab parde badalte hain to insaan bhi badalte hain " was just her another attempt to help him come out of his pain.Nidhi just cant see him in pain so whatever she could do to bring him out of it she has been doing & Ashu too acknowledges that.

Lastly I am liking this show a lot mainly due to MB and there are less number of characters with less su.b-plots & no saas-bahu scenes or kitchen politics.

Actually good that you have not seen DK cos then whether you like it or not, comparisions will arise :-))  simply cos Dk is a beautifully crafted and exquisitely delivered product.. its something I know I can watch over and over again, tho I am not sure I can say the same of KTLK...

I agree KTLK a refreshing change from saas bahu sagas and full marks to them for trying to present smth tahts different but thats exactly why I am so disaapointed - I just feel they could have done so much more with it...

Yes, Nidhi is different from Ashu & Mallika and that may be what attarcts Ashu to her... we all know opposites attract but they don't result in an overnight character change...I was really dissapointed with that alarm clock scene - it destroyed Ashutosh's personna for me.. and frankly given Ashutosh's personna, he didn't seem the kind of guy to helplessy sit and be the last man on the ship while he helplessly waited for his shoes at the mandap - its just so inconsistent with his characterisations..

However, its a lot better than many other shows, I just hope the show gains a lil more depth and maturity... till then have fun and enjoy!

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Goldie

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 6:23am | IP Logged
Originally posted by ujs30

well even if we don't compare KTLK and DK even then it is little bit difficult to digest nidhi's behaviour for ashu. in last episode the way she react when shahenshah told her that ashu is in his cabin was like Confused. don't know how to express her immaturity. the way in which she overreact on everything related to ashu is not looking good. i am not against her but don't like her behaviour. i haven't seen any girl who is in love behaving like this.

Ditto that!

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Goldie

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 6:31am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Marybarton

I agree with everything you said. I admit I like romance between them but when it is subtle, like you said. I do not care for four days of hari-channey ke curry-making and eating. I swear if I hear that word again, I will be tempted to stop watching.

I agree with the immature, cringe-worthy behavior. Watching these scenes where she is being "cute" and rushing into his personal space makes me hope that no woman behaves like this. It is not cute and certainly not proper. She is being repeatedly told she is in love and she does not get it. The preview today showed that she just realized that she is in love. Screaming it off rooftops does not convince me of their love. It HAS to be DEVELOPED, just as you said.

The whole specialty of a May-to-December love story is it's slow development, not immature, inappropriate behavior. Men who go for young women because they make the men feel younger again are different from the character Dr. A is. Those men are in a mid-life crisis, this man is just supposed to reluctantly fall in love. The creatives have cheapened it or just don't have the capability of handling this kind of subject matter.

I saw the precap in yesterday's re-run and I must say it left me cold and quite saddened..this really is more "puppy love" as someone mentioned - a first crush,or a school girl fascination with a friend's older brother than a deep abiding love born out of mutual respect and attraction...

Bang on, the essence of a May-to-December romance has been lost in the last few episodes... someone tell them that most men handle mid life crises by going and buying that snazzy red pair of wheels rather than turning into adolescent gawky teenagers! :-)

And I agree, one more mention of hare chane ki curry will put me off hara chana for a long time to come, lol!

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Goldie

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 6:34am | IP Logged
Originally posted by pippa

First of all, allow me to say that I love the way you write.

It's rare to read such a well-written and well-thought out post.

Now, to the topic itself.

I have not seen DK and was quite unaware of its existence till KTLK was announced. I remember reading a lot posts since then about the original and the fear that the Indian version might not live up to expectation.

Nevertheless, I was excited over the prospect of watching KT:K mainly because of MB...and, when the show began, I did watch with bated breath...and waited for the shoe to drop.

Well, in a nutshell, it didn't drop!

In other words, I  agree with your take a 100%. I don't have the knowledge of the original to compare it with, but I still feel exactly as you do.

The cvs' headlong rush into portraying the romance makes little sense to me. Tampering with the character of Mallika makes no sense at all...the almost cartoon caricatures of some of the side characters annoy. Nidhi's attitude towards the good doctor almost that of a stalker!

Needless to say, I've stopped watching the show out of sheer disappointment.

I can't imagine how you must be feeling.

PS: I enjoyed reading all the responses to your post as well

Thank you Pippa for the compliment and its really good to know that its just not my bias talking!

I must admit, some times when I watch an episode that upsets me, I go watch a couple of episodes of the original and feel a lot better! I too have missed some of the episodes in the middle cos I couldn'tget myself to watch Dr Nidhi assaulting the poor man's house and life. happened to catch the re-run yesterday afternoon, so felt compelled to comment!

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

DeepShadowpippa

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Goldie

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 6:35am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Armu4eva

Beautiful post...and as a diehard DK lover... i agree in to-to!!

There is absolutely ZERO build up for AshNi... no basis or logic for Nidhi suddenly falling in LOVE with Ashu... again no logic for Ashu opening up to her ...n tolerating her.. buzzing around him so frequently..!!

As already said by few other post-makers... 'Subtlety' 'Build up' 'Rationale' 'Depth' are few of the things that are glaringly missing in the show... and are therefore the reason why... KTLK will never be a GOOD ENOUF adaptation to DK...ever..!! (Tho we can hope it redeems itself.. but i have my serious doubts!)

Having said this... with all its failings...KTLK is one of the BESTEST shows on TV right now... with leads..who are good and perform well...! Not only that.. some of the 'so called cliche' scenes such as rain scene-follow up convo ..the tea date.. have all been beautifully executed and there is a touch of novelty in them..!! 

I did like to look at the glass.. half or say.. .quarter filled.. n continue to hope that someday.. it truly brims with the excellence it had promised..!! U write really well n i wuld request u to make more posts... hopefully ..highlighting the GOODS of KTLK... however less and rare it mite be...! :) 

Hopefully, it will do better.. and hopefully I shall write such a post :-))

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Goldie

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 10:59am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Nehz

hi dmgfan ... I just loved your post ...

Thanks so much

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Kuch Toh Log Kehenge Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.