Page 1 of 7

Page 1
Page   of 7
Page 2 Page 7

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Goldie

DMGFan-2b-not2b

Posted: 18 November 2011 at 3:34pm | IP Logged

Having grown-up with a crush on Dr Ahmer, and, a secret desire to be a Zoya to his Ahmer, I am painfully aware that I have a huge bias when I am writing this post. Though I probably saw Dhoop Kinare when the Paki TV series popularity was on the wane, Dhoop Kinare left an indelible impression on my young mind and I have undoubtedly, regarded that as one of the greatest love stories ever told.

This is why I started to watch KTLK with great trepidation, wary of seeing my favourite story being butchered.

I was pleasantly surprised. KTLK is a wonderful refreshing change from the saas-bahu sagas, or the rural Indian story or even the bubble gum love stories that seem to populate Indian TV. An actual story, great pace, a bunch of characters that appear to have a story of their own rather than being props for the lead pair, well sketched out characters and extremely competent actors to bring them to life.

However, after the initial excitement, I must confess to being a little disappointed. The charm of Dhoop Kinare (DP) lay in the gradual development of attraction and the acknowledgement of that.. there were episodes where the lead pair didn't even have scenes anywhere close to romantic together... a series of events, episodes, conversations threw them together.. and they fell in love, slowly but inexorably, true to their characterisations...

Dr Nidhi going berserk and landing up at 7 am every morning, changing a guy's curtains, refusing to go on a Europe trip, over-reacting to everything related to Dr Ashutosh I feel is a little forced...

Dr Ashutosh, a recluse, a man tormented by his adopted father's betrayal, bitter in the knowledge that another person meant the world to the man who meant the world to him - behaving like a kid who's excited at the thought of his favourite ice-cream, calling Dr Nidhi and talking about alarm clocks.. I don't know ' it's so out of character for him and takes away the depth and the charm of that romance..

Ahmer and Zoya were compelling cos their silence spoke volumes, Zoya was as ebullient as Nidhi is, but her relationship with Ahmer developed from disdain to fear to immense respect and finally love... KTLK isn't charting any of those emotions - Nidhi is like a love struck teenager with her first crush..

I understand  KTLK is not DP, just the basic premise is same, but it's difficult not to draw comparisons'

I feel that under the pressure to provide romantic fodder, the CVs are rushing with the story.. romance is not just about dancing at a wedding, hiding shoes, making hare chane ki curry, and being cute - yes these are all part of it, but over time..

I just feel the romance is rushed...and everything amplified.. like Dr Mallika has suddenly emerged as this all out villain threatening to get rid of Nidhi..there are so many shades to her - a woman who has spent her life waiting for this one man to recognize her as a woman, whose love she has yearned forwhile she has patiently been a good friend to him.. her sense of frustration, her insecurities, they've been ignored and she's this horribly villainous character!

Don't get me wrong.. it's still a very good serial, and, I enjoy watching it but I just think it could have been so much better! Honestly there are some cringe worthy moments whether its Nidhi's behavior around and about Ashutosh or Ashutosh's eager beaver responses to her! I just hope that the CVs don't buckle to "We want a hug" and demands and requests for more romantic scenes..

Compared to the crap one sees on telly, this so far is a  very good product, I just wish they would be a little more patient, and, a little more real! 

There is a beautiful word which defines the underlying ethos of DP, which is missing in KTLK so far '-"kashish"! But I watch in hope!

Edited by DMGFan-2b-not2b - 20 November 2011 at 2:45am

The following 31 member(s) liked the above post:

yulinspacyeightrainbows07LekshmiPriyalotus1963wizardofozwaizmapaannie_mckinnenNoCommentsShaiqMadihajustpratiDeepShadowShezaadiNehzAbhiAniNaina007imdudeheadKevaumm1234AR-ARHI_nailaSriBpippaXoxowpdXoxoBinge--sumana13--Marybartonrabzonedgedesigrl05shaliRoopal_ArDiAreYaar

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "KTLK - promise unfulfilled?" in Kuch Toh Log Kehenge forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

wizardofoz

Posted: 18 November 2011 at 4:11pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 14 member(s) liked the above post:

LekshmiPriyaArmu4evarekhab25DMGFan-2b-not2bjustpratifiona18rtmsSriBXoxowpdXoxopippaMehek25--sumana13--tulipdaisyrabzonedge

imdudehead

Goldie

imdudehead

Posted: 18 November 2011 at 4:37pm | IP Logged
Yeah! I feel the love was forced,
I hope Nidhi realizes this was just a crush..and actually falls in love, if that makes sense...

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

LekshmiPriyaSriB

Keva

Goldie

Keva

Posted: 18 November 2011 at 5:25pm | IP Logged
Hi DMGFan-2b-not2b

Subtlety is what is missing in this show. There were a few people on this forum who use to analyze the episodes of KTLK earlier but many have quit. I still watch it coz I am a Mohnish Behl fan and currently he is the only guy on Indian television that can act according to me and hence I watch it for his acting otherwise I am very disappointed with the show. 

The following 9 member(s) liked the above post:

nsdpLekshmiPriyaDMGFan-2b-not2bDeepShadowSriBpippaleo4everRockChicGirlAreYaar

Mehek25

IF-Rockerz

Mehek25

Posted: 18 November 2011 at 5:27pm | IP Logged
Hi Welcome to the forum. I liked the way you have expressed ur views on both DK and KTLK. I particularly liked the following lines (and agree with them too)

The charm of Dhoop Kinare (DP) lay in the gradual development of attraction and the acknowledgement of that.. there were episodes where the lead pair didn't even have scenes anywhere close to romantic together... a series of events, episodes, conversations threw them together.. and they fell in love, slowly but inexorably, true to their characterisations...

But to quote wizardofoz ... The era of gripping love stories disappeared from indian tv more than 15 years back. .... But that again was the era of doordarshan, no trp pressure and no cable tv. Given all the pressures that channels and production houses are under these days, I think KTLK is far superior to the rest of the crap on tv.

After reading both the posts I would just like to give my POV...Both of u are right in ur own way but I too would have liked Nidhi to recognise her love in a more mature way than has been shown...So far as KTLK v/s DK is concerned...I think KTLK is now on the verge of leaving DK behind and is becoming  a serial in its own right. All the similarities with DK are now practically at an end and it is now becoming a typical Indian TV show...As for pitting Mallika opposite Nidhi...the cat fights are now going to start...And I am quite show that Maalu harassing Nidhi and Nidhi will face all her challenges bravely and will even come out successfully from them all...This will definitely be a winner in increasing TRPs...lets not forget what wizardofoz said...TRP pressure goes a long way in influencing any show...

But despite all the above points I love this show and will definitely watch it. But I have realised now that if I want to enjoy the show I have to look at it as KTLK and not as a remake of DK. Once we look at it in its own identity I am sure we will all enjoy the show...despite some flaws which can happen even in the best and most successful of daily soaps.  

The following 12 member(s) liked the above post:

wizardofozlotus1963DMGFan-2b-not2bAbhiAnijustpratirtmsSriBpippaBinge--sumana13--tulipdaisy...RamonaG....

AreYaar

IF-Addictz

AreYaar

Posted: 18 November 2011 at 5:47pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by DMGFan-2b-not2b

Ahmer and Zoya were compelling cos their silence spoke volumes, Zoya was as ebullient as Nidhi is, but her relationship with Ahmer developed from disdain to fear to immense respect and finally love... KTLK isn't charting any of those emotions - Nidhi is like a love struck teenager with her first crush..

I just feel the romance is rushed...and everything amplified..

There is a beautiful word which defines the underlying ethos of DP, which is missing in KTLK so far ' kashish! But I watch in hope!

Lovely post! I especially agree with these bits...I had some expectations from this show when it started cuz I felt it started off on a good note and was carving it's own identity in a sense beyond the concept of DK but then as the show progressed, many TRP type elements were added in which left me disappointed and at times irritated with the show.

Finally I gave up having any expectations and am now watching this show mainly for MB's charm and that is why I still watch this show on and off...

Along with KASHISH as you pointed out, THEHRAAV is missing as well...which is what would have made this unusual relationship b/w two individuals so interesting but the makers have chosen not to go that route...alas.

Right now the show has taken a turn towards showing Nidhi like a giddy schoolgirl with a crush on her professor...there is not much maturity in her feelings or her bond with Ashutosh...I'm not sure if that will be evolved in the future or things will just remain at this surface level only.

spacyeightrainbows07NoCommentsDeepShadowKevapippaSriB--sumana13--Binge

DeepShadow

Goldie

DeepShadow

Posted: 18 November 2011 at 6:46pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by DMGFan-2b-not2b

However, after the initial excitement, I must confess to being a little disappointed. The charm of Dhoop Kinare (DP) lay in the gradual development of attraction and the acknowledgement of that.. there were episodes where the lead pair didn't even have scenes anywhere close to romantic together... a series of events, episodes, conversations threw them together.. and they fell in love, slowly but inexorably, true to their characterisations...

Dr Nidhi going berserk and landing up at 7 am every morning, changing a guy's curtains, refusing to go on a Europe trip, over-reacting to everything related to Dr Ashutosh I feel is a little forced...

Dr Ashutosh, a recluse, a man tormented by his adopted father's betrayal, bitter in the knowledge that another person meant the world to the man who meant the world to him - behaving like a kid who's excited at the thought of his favourite ice-cream, calling Dr Nidhi and talking about alarm clocks.. I don't know ' it's so out of character for him and takes away the depth and the charm of that romance..

I have to say, the lines in red are so well put and summarize the reasons why DK is still considered a classic. Not only the characters themselves even the backdrop of a hospital and the medical profession were so well handled and portrayed in the most realistic manner. The long hours, the emotional trauma, the stress, the hardships of the profession were executed so brilliantly. The relationship between Zoya and Ahmer had depth and was developed slowly and gradually over time and depicted in a very mature manner. The writing and direction of the show is what I believe made the show what it truly became.Thats what KTLK thoroughly lacks, there is no depth, there is no consistency, there is no logic or sense and the writing, screenplay and direction is absolutely inane.

The first two weeks of the show were actually interesting but that was mainly due to the fact that everything was pretty much copy pasted from DK but once Nidhi quit, the show went haywire. Some of the most ridiculous scenes came in the form of kids going on a hunger strike, running away from hospital, the hospital turning into some sort of a Nidhi Verma fan club...and the shaadi track that ensued was extremely cringe inducing. Apparently that was the creatives reaction to the lower than expected TRPs of the show. It seems like the writers had no faith in their own show and thus resorted to a really lame track which apparently is considered "viewer friendly". I've been finding it very hard to make sense of the show with Nidhi landing up at Dr. Ashutosh's place every day and acting like his nurse/maid/counselor/interior decorator/cook etc. Its been only a week according to the shows timeline yet she is behaving like a lovesick puppy who is chasing after Dr. Ashutosh, which is just extremely embarrassing. 

Till last nights episode I thought Dr. Ashutosh had atleast some redeeming qualities left but sadly with ice-cream and alarm clocks that has flown out of the window too. The shaadi track was the WORST thing that ever happened to this show. Both Nidhi and Ashutosh's characters seem to have done a major back flip ever since all the shirt washing - getting wet in the rain nonsense came around. It was so so so so cringe inducing to see all of that.

Sigh...the story itself is supposed to be MATURE but it seems the writing of this show is very very IMMATURE. It all seems to be a game of TRPs with the makers become desperate with each week to get their numbers up by throwing in anything and everything. I'm still hoping beyond hope that somehow sense strikes the writers and they come up with more meaningful tracks and scenes to develop the story further. I know they are aiming to stretch out a 28 episode show but that is not enough reason for the weird and stupid tracks being forced into the show. Monish Behl and Kritika Kamra are capable of delivering so much more than what they're currently being subjected to so atleast for their sake, especially MB's, I hope the writers re-evaluate their writing and get a grip of things quickly. 

Edited by DeepShadow - 18 November 2011 at 6:52pm

yulinLekshmiPriyaNoCommentsjustpratiKevapippaBingeMarybartonAreYaar

tulipdaisy

IF-Rockerz

tulipdaisy

Posted: 18 November 2011 at 6:55pm | IP Logged
I have never seen DK nor know the actors.
For me KTLK has been a refreshing & different show.
Nidhi is afterall an Intern who has just completed her studies & joined her first job so she is bound to be immature,bubbly,oozing with enthusiasm.Thats how her character is in this show & thats what makes her different from Ashu or Mallika.This is the main character which draws Ashu towards her otherwise if you see Ashu & Mallika are of same nature-serious,strict hardly any humour in their life. 
So Nidhi's character is refreshing & I am sure the CVs will show her slowly evolving into a mature & responsible doctor and she will gain more respect in the eyes of Ashu.

Also one more thing I liked about this show is the whatever few  romance/romantic scenes have been between ASHNI looked different from what we see in the daily soaps be it candle light tea making,ashu looking at the roses have all been lovely scenes.

Coming to changing the curtains I think Nidhi wanted ashu to come out of his bad mood & make him feel cheerful.If he kept looking at the torn curtains he would think of his past & his frustrations so as she said "Jab parde badalte hain to insaan bhi badalte hain " was just her another attempt to help him come out of his pain.Nidhi just cant see him in pain so whatever she could do to bring him out of it she has been doing & Ashu too acknowledges that.

Lastly I am liking this show a lot mainly due to MB and there are less number of characters with less su.b-plots & no saas-bahu scenes or kitchen politics.

The following 11 member(s) liked the above post:

aranayanineha_smyliozone1Armu4evaAbhiAnifiona18rtmsjustpratipippakaveri...RamonaG....

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.