Page 1
Page   of 5
Page 2 Page 5

teenindia_usa

IF-Sizzlerz

teenindia_usa

Posted: 18 November 2011 at 12:24pm | IP Logged

GOBBLE GOBBLE MEMBERS! ITS TURKEY TIME!

The story of Thanksgiving is basically the story of the Pilgrims and their thankful community feast at Plymouth, Massachusetts.

The Pilgrims, who set sail from Plymouth, England on a ship called the Mayflower on September 6, 1620, were bound for the resourceful 'New World'. The Mayflower was a small ship crowded with men, women and children, besides the sailors on board. Aboard were passengers comprising the 'separatists', who called themselves the "Saints", and others, whom the separatists called the "Strangers".

After land was sighted in November following 66 days of a lethal voyage, a meeting was held and an agreement of truce was worked out. It was called the Mayflower Compact. The agreement guaranteed equality among the members of the two groups. They merged together to be recognized as the "Pilgrims." They elected John Carver as their first governor.

historyAlthough Pilgrims had first sighted the land off Cape Cod, Massachusetts, they did not settle until they arrived at a place called Plymouth. It was Captain John Smith who named the place after
the English port-city in 1614 and had already settled there for over five years. And it was there that the Pilgrims finally decided to settle. Plymouth offered an excellent harbor and plenty of resources. The local Indians were also non-hostile.

But their happiness was short-lived. Ill-equipped to face the winter on this estranged place they were ravaged thoroughly. 

history

Somehow they were saved by a group of local Native Americans who befriended them and helped them with food. Soon the natives taught the settlers the technique to cultivate corns and grow native vegetables, and store them for hard days. By the next winter they had raised enough crops to keep them alive. The winter came and passed by without much harm. The settlers knew they had beaten the odds and it was time to celebrate.

They celebrated it with a grand community feast wherein the friendly native Americans were also invited. It was kind of a harvest feast, the Pilgrims used to have in England. The recipes entail "corn" (wheat, by the Pilgrims usage of the word), Indian corn, barley, pumpkins and peas, "fowl" (specially "waterfowl"), deer, fish. And yes, of course the yummy wild turkey.

Thanksgiving Day is presently celebrated on the fourth Thursday of every November. This date was set by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1939 (approved by Congress in 1941).
Source: the holiday spot 

Wishing Kool_Ahmed A Happy Thanksgiving!

Edited by teenindia_usa - 18 November 2011 at 1:05pm

The following 31 member(s) liked the above post:

AahaanaBrinda97hhaneeyPrincess2012veejaysFlagKaushalyaFanmeghna2Angel-Jot.hopper_ocean-Rimsha-sizzlesLuvAbhiyaarjuhianizorputh-Shankar-hermososhareenDilsay-Stutz---sunshine--Rummy.swtbabykinara17-Frozen-AASUSromiosugar1krithikasammu5somergasm.-Araina-shanti05

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "HAPPY THANKSGIVING USA!" in Members Lounge forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

sami01

Coolbie

sami01

Posted: 23 November 2011 at 3:31pm | IP Logged

Leaves were falling and the world was orange

the turkey heard the sweet story of thanksgiving
 all he could hear was

his heart started to beat really fast

In his mind all he could see was this

Poor guy was out of his mind

and went to the beautiful countryside

He looked around and marveled at the nature at its very best

He sat down and thought about everything and suddenly thought
I am special indeed

My sacrifice brings warmth and love
I am the tradition of this great day

Without me this day can not be.
So I would not run away but be a part of the tradition
I would wish you all from bottom of my heart

so friends lets all give our hearty thanks
for everything

share your thoughts with us ,how would you be celebrating your special day on this most traveled time of the  year..
would you be going to see someone close to your heart
or just saying thanks for just everything
enjoy your day and share with us your lovely thoughts

Edited by sami01 - 23 November 2011 at 4:50pm

The following 19 member(s) liked the above post:

AahaanaveejaysFlag.pari.Angel-Jot.anizorputhDilsay-Shankar-shareen-Stutz---sunshine--swtbabyAASUSsomergasm.-Frozen-romiosugar1krithikas-Araina-

anizor

IF-Dazzler

anizor

Posted: 24 November 2011 at 7:08am | IP Logged
happy thanks giving to all americans

somergasm.

IF-Sizzlerz

somergasm.

Crazy Creative Baby

Posted: 24 November 2011 at 7:13am | IP Logged
Happy Thanks giving to all Americans!

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post: