India-Forums

Tumhari Disha
Tumhari Disha

Happy Shivrathri

lilly Senior Member
lilly
lilly

Posted: 08 March 2005 at 4:31pm | IP Logged
Shiva Puja - Introduction Back to TopBack to TopPrevious - Yearly Fasting Puja Back to Home Next - Vishnu Puja

Introduction Direction of Worship General Rules Rudrakshas
Mahamaritanje Mantra Shiv-Linga Worship Shivrathri Temples

Shiva - ParvathiSHIVA MANTRA

OMKARA- AUM

Siva is worshipped with the three-leafed bilva, for, He is immanent in the three worlds in the three phases of Time, in the three attributes of Nature. He removes the three types of grief; He has no basis outside Him; He is the source of Bliss. He is the embodiment of sweetness and efficacy of Nectar. "Since every being is Siva Swarupa (for without Siva, it is mere 'Sava' – Corpse) man has to live up to that Divine Status.

Maha Sivarathri. Is dedicated to the disintegration of aberrations of the Mind, and so, of the Mind itself, by dedicating oneself to Siva, God. The moon as well as the Mind whose Deity, It is, have each 16 phases. On the Sivarathri, fifteen of these have disappeared; and, there is just a streak of the Moon in the sky. The New moon that follows will have not even that streak visible.

The Mind too, must be mastered every day until, on the fifteenth day, fifteen phases have disintegrated and only a streak remains to be removed by a final flourish of effort. That is the Sadhana that you did throughout the night, Bhajan, vigil, fast. When the mind goes, there is no more Moha (deluding Desire and attachment) and the Ksahya (Decline) of Moha is Moksha (Liberation).

The Shiva's revelation of the five-fold duties and the Omkara mantra to Brahma and Vishnu the permanent cycle of the five-fold duties consists of creation, maintenance, annihilation, concealment, and blessing.

These activities are observed in the five elements by devotees- Sarga (creation) in the Earth, Sthiti (maintenance) in the waters, Samhara (annihilation) in the fire, Tirobhava (concealment) in the wind and Anugraha (liberation, the blessed state) in the fulfillment.

Hence, whenever, you start reciting the mantra Omkara to acquire the knowledge of the Lord Shiva. This will stop your false pride as well.

THE GLORY OF THE FIVE- SYLLABLE MANTRA OF LORD SHIVA

AUM NAMAH SHIVAAYA. In the Shiv Purana, Lord Shiva explains the five – syllable Mantra Aum Namah Sivaya affords protection from the fear of disillusions, defiled by unimaginable and inexpressible faults, mental verbal and physical. Even fallen men may become liberated through this Mantra, when he has faith in Lord Shiva.

As long as one lives he shall repeat the Mantra 108 times every day with full faith and devotedly. One attains the greatest goal in life. Mental Japas is excellent, reciting in low voice is half-fruitful. The verbal Japa gives the least of all.

Back to TopBack to TopTo all my dear friends  in the forum , wishing you all a happy Shivrathri, honestly how many of you ladies fasted. Lata I am sure you did fast.Do you think they will be showing Shivrathri in TD , will find out with the updates I guess.

dkaddict Senior Member
dkaddict
dkaddict

Posted: 08 March 2005 at 5:39pm | IP Logged

Hi Lilly, thanks for another wonderfully informative post! In the Vaisnava tradition, Shiva is considered as the greatest Vaisnava. We are also celebrating today for Shivaratri. Ummmmm.... I fasted til noon... but that's not unusual for me. I kinda like fasting..........

-DKaddict

lilly Senior Member
lilly
lilly

Posted: 09 March 2005 at 3:55am | IP Logged

Thanks DK addict ( Becky),  I am impressed with your dedication to the vaisnava tradition. Glad to know you had a great celebration

Lilly

.....Lata..... IF-Dazzler
.....Lata.....
.....Lata.....

Posted: 09 March 2005 at 4:49am | IP Logged

Thanks a lot Lilly for this wonderful article. 'Happy MahaShivratri ' to all my friends. 'OM NAMAH SHIVAY'. Sorry for replying so late. Lilly yes I did fast yest. but offcourse had fruits, milk etc. what about you? And dkaddict a big salute to you. GOD Bless All.

Love Lata

AALIYAH786 Goldie
AALIYAH786
AALIYAH786

Posted: 09 March 2005 at 6:29am | IP Logged

Namaste'

Happy MahaShivratri to all forum members and all hindus around the world

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top