Debate Mansion

what is the point of debates? (Page 4)

Post Reply New Post

Page 4 of 11

...M...

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 04 February 2007 at 11:24pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "what is the point of debates? (Page 4)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 12:30am | IP Logged
2 points I just thought of -

Too much tv watching is not good anyway and since I cannot give up my sedentary life style (after work), online debate is one way to keep the north pole active.

It is better to argue certain issues with online friends rather than getting into a real fight with soul mate over petty issues. He can always peep in and say "smart things" but I can easily focus more on replying to someone else rather than him .. What a peaceful arrangement!! LOL

Autumn.

IF-Veteran Member

Autumn.

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 4:35am | IP Logged

Originally posted by mermaid_QT

2 points I just thought of -

Too much tv watching is not good anyway and since I cannot give up my sedentary life style (after work), online debate is one way to keep the north pole active.

It is better to argue certain issues with online friends rather than getting into a real fight with soul mate over petty issues. He can always peep in and say "smart things" but I can easily focus more on replying to someone else rather than him .. What a peaceful arrangement!! LOL

LOL LOL LOL

What A Nice Idea.. Clap LOL Thanks.. LOL

SholaJoBhadkey

IF-Dazzler

SholaJoBhadkey

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 6:28am | IP Logged
"What is the point of debates?"

In answering this, I quote (in English) from a Bengali poem by Raja Ram Mohun Roy:

"Just consider how terrible the day of your death will be.
Others will go on speaking, and you will not be able to argue back."

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 25 February 2007 at 9:04pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by serialbuff

"What is the point of debates?"

In answering this, I quote (in English) from a Bengali poem by Raja Ram Mohun Roy:

"Just consider how terrible the day of your death will be.
Others will go on speaking, and you will not be able to argue back."

ClapClap

Autumn.

IF-Veteran Member

Autumn.

Posted: 26 February 2007 at 6:05am | IP Logged
Debates give us the opportunity to understand different point of views from different set of people. During the debates process we may concur with the other person's point of view or become more sure about our POV. Debates helps us in arriving at a decision in our mind in regard to a particular subject. Debates enhances the thinking power of an individual. In all Debates aache hai... Smile

ani11

IF-Sizzlerz

ani11

Posted: 26 February 2007 at 4:01pm | IP Logged

Edited by ani11 - 08 October 2009 at 3:29pm

chatbuster

IF-Rockerz

chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 26 February 2007 at 7:23pm | IP Logged

haha, i cant believe most people debate because they want to hear the other guy Wink

mostly, they are into it for the entertainment value, for the rush they get when they crush the other guy's ego. Wink it's like playing chess. not everyone's gonna win a million bucks and become champ. yet they play, dont they? burn up all that time.

ok, when one does have to debate, as do presidential contenders etc, they're doing it for points. it's seldom to convince folks who already have their minds made up. rather it is to win the folks who are undecided and on the fence to their side, or to boost the morale of their side. Smile

Edited by chatbuster - 26 February 2007 at 9:28pm

Post Reply New Post

Go to top