Debate Mansion

what is the point of debates? (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 11

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 27 June 2006 at 1:33am | IP Logged
I apologise for this interesting topic was locked with out any reason.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "what is the point of debates? (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Dazlingflower

Dazlingflower

Posted: 27 June 2006 at 8:20am | IP Logged
People often take debates in a negative light, but Debates are actually healthy...that's if you handle them with maturity. People have to be open-minded or receptive to other ideas or else, debates turn more in to war-zone. I have noticed many times that people become defensive and it becomes an ego issue. People can use these dabates as an opportunity to learn. Give other person at least one chance..Also you should not debate with little knowldge- A small amount of knowledge can cause people to think they are more expert than they really are. This is true in the case of religion. How do people argue over religion without knowing the other side? I get surprised when people constantly argue with me about religion and they have no clue about my religion or any other..They are arguing over the facts fed to them by their priests and parents. They themselves never took time out to learn other realities or existence of TRUTH.

First used by Alexander Pope (1688-1744) - An Essay on Criticism, 1709:

"A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again."

Traveller

Traveller

Posted: 28 June 2006 at 12:48am | IP Logged
hey mkzara! i came bak to dm after a few days and wanted to post the same topic!! i cudtn believe it! anyway its someting i wanted to reallly discuss...i think the point of debating is basically like u said to open up our minds and i think to extend our areas of thought...debating helps us being less biased with our own opinions and makes us see sense in what other ppl are trying to say..all in all debating helps us widen our horizons and help us open our minds to new ideas and new lines of thought...

Tina2sweet

Goldie

Tina2sweet

Posted: 28 June 2006 at 6:58pm | IP Logged

very good topic Clap

I think debates are important because you get to see other people's point of view there opinion on things more than one answer to a question.

Majority

IF-Dazzler

Majority

Posted: 13 November 2006 at 9:54pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Jatayu

Debating is a worthless exercise for the following reasons:

1. It serves no purpose other than throw up a lot of heat and dust eg. scenes in the true home of living democracy - the Indian Parliament;

2. It hardens the other's mind and forces non-acceptance of the opposing ideas just for the heck of it eg. UN vs George W. Bush;

3. Even of any sort of consensus is reached, there is no assurance that it will be backed by action - ergo waste of time eg. the Mogadishu fiasco during the Somalian civil war;

4. Never in world history have the real tricky issues been sorted out by debate. War and conflict has been the only real and acceptable solution eg Kauravs vs Pandavas, Rome vs everybody else, Church vs Galileo and Hitler vs the Human Race.

I see that nobody has argued against any of these points .....

chatbuster

IF-Rockerz

chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 13 November 2006 at 10:34pm | IP Logged

Debating is a worthless exercise for the following reasons:

1. It serves no purpose other than throw up a lot of heat and dust eg. scenes in the true home of living democracy - the Indian Parliament;

2. It hardens the other's mind and forces non-acceptance of the opposing ideas just for the heck of it eg. UN vs George W. Bush;

3. Even of any sort of consensus is reached, there is no assurance that it will be backed by action - ergo waste of time eg. the Mogadishu fiasco during the Somalian civil war;

4. Never in world history have the real tricky issues been sorted out by debate. War and conflict has been the only real and acceptable solution eg Kauravs vs Pandavas, Rome vs everybody else, Church vs Galileo and Hitler vs the Human Race.

I see that nobody has argued against any of these points .....

ok here goes. debating is a bit like selling. u're never going to be able to convince the skeptics and u're going to be silly if u try. but in every market, every audience, there are people who are either pre-disposed to buying your product or into your point-of-view, or others who are neutral/ independent/ dont-know-types who can come around if given good talking points. point of selling and debates is to reach the folks u can reach, never mind the rest of the jokers.

in that regard, the dont-know folks are the lazy ones who're probably too dumb to think for themselves and need ideas served on a hot TV-ready platter. good debating points/ sales pitches can help them get off the couch into your showroom.

a good pitch is also a morale-booster and confidence-builder for your team and keeps them on your side. it helps them feel a lil less silly for having the opinions they do have.

so there we are- debates help!Smile

Edited by chatbuster - 13 November 2006 at 10:37pm

...M...

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 04 February 2007 at 5:11pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

mermaid_QT

IF-Sizzlerz

mermaid_QT

Posted: 04 February 2007 at 6:37pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by abhijit shukla

Actually Jatayu ji, I did make points on the thread that present a different POV than yours. Debating has helped me learn more about world around me and about myself.

Nice thread.. jatayu puts up a debate for and against. (playing chess by himself) . Then Dr AS sums it all and still bumps it to be further bumped by my fav MM?  there is nothing left to say for me LOL.. Yey!! If  required, I will just bum it again.. LOL

Post Reply New Post

Go to top