Page 1
Page   of 11
Page 3 Page 11

Morgoth

IF-Veteran Member

Morgoth

--

Posted: 04 February 2006 at 10:05am | IP Logged
great points put forward by mkzara and Jayatu.

to add to that:

the idea of debating arises from discussion. without discussion/arguments there is no room for improvement. without legal/parliamentary debates, there would not have been acceptable laws.

they help you organise your thoughts, brainstorm ideas and come up with feasible solutions. IMO, debating is a pivotal step in decision making - especially when you view things in a broader spectrum.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "what is the point of debates? (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

sowmyaa

IF-Dazzler

sowmyaa

Posted: 04 February 2006 at 8:23pm | IP Logged
Great topic mkzara..i totally agree with what you, jatayu and T. has to say...it is not about judging others but it is about debating topic in general. There are two different openion and it's great to debate about trying to justify your point of view and as jatayu said its enhancing knowledge doing research and also to organize your mind and your thoughts and lastly to always improve yourself.

Majority

IF-Dazzler

Majority

Posted: 04 February 2006 at 9:13pm | IP Logged
Now for the opposing view:

Debating is a worthless exercise for the following reasons:

1. It serves no purpose other than throw up a lot of heat and dust eg. scenes in the true home of living democracy - the Indian Parliament;

2. It hardens the other's mind and forces non-acceptance of the opposing ideas just for the heck of it eg. UN vs George W. Bush;

3. Even of any sort of consensus is reached, there is no assurance that it will be backed by action - ergo waste of time eg. the Mogadishu fiasco during the Somalian civil war;

4. Never in world history have the real tricky issues been sorted out by debate. War and conflict has been the only real and acceptable solution eg Kauravs vs Pandavas, Rome vs everybody else, Church vs Galileo and Hitler vs the Human Race.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

AbsolutelyNuts!

AbsolutelyNuts!

Posted: 06 February 2006 at 7:36am | IP Logged
I just think it's fun and it gives me the chance to understand my opponent a little better. Who knows, maybe his/her viewpoints would change the way I think and change my future?

*dolly*

IF-Sizzlerz

*dolly*

Posted: 06 February 2006 at 9:19am | IP Logged
Being informed on the issues requires that we become acquainted with alternative points of view.But constructive debating is an art.
I feel the following points can be considered while debating
1. Avoid use of terms which can be interpreted differently by different readers.in a debate, we are talking to people who substantially disagree with us and they are likely to put a different interpretation on such words.
2.In my opinion,Quoting an authority is not evidence. Quoting a majority opinion is not evidence.

3.Avoid emotionally charged words--words that are likely to produce more heat than light. Certainly the racial, ethnic, or religious hate words have no place in rational debating.

4.Personal attacks on your opponent are an admission of intellectual bankruptcy.

5.Be sure of your facts.

6.Understand your opponents' arguments.

7.attack the the arguement and not the arguer

mist

Groupbie

mist

Posted: 07 February 2006 at 12:45am | IP Logged
A debate is more fun and challenging when you argue for something you dont really believe in. I know that sounds fake but I feel nothing puts your own skill to test than when you contradict your own convictions Wink

samie

IF-Veteran Member

samie

Posted: 07 February 2006 at 1:18am | IP Logged

Originally posted by Aparna_BD

cool topic . For me Jatayu summed it up , i have nothing to add !! Tongue

same hereLOLSmile

zhasan2

IF-Rockerz

zhasan2

Posted: 07 February 2006 at 9:27pm | IP Logged
the point of debates is to raise an issue that you think can lead to a reasonable conversation that is logical.

shouldn't have used to many words, my brain's hurting LOL

Post Reply New Post

Go to top