Post Reply New Post

Page 10 of 11

chatbuster

IF-Rockerz

chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 8:37am | IP Logged
Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

Is it not happening hereConfused,then how come we people are allowed to post our views!!!

BTW nobody expects anyone to reply the post like an essay answer in CBSE 10th class Civics exam like:

The advantages of Debate Mansion are :

M y t h i l
  1. i

The disadvantages of Debate Mansion are:

a s d f g
  1. h

and some one is not going to give 10/10 or 0/10 for our posts!!

Each responds to interesting post in her/his style.So in this process of disagreement ,the disagrement seems to be intoleranceLOL.

BTW I think  this topic is good for discussion not debate!!!

Regards,

Mythili

huh? someone still needs to learn that the real world is not just 2+2?LOL

one might get the same idea from the silent readings if they went to something i wrote elsewhere. and from what was quoted on this thread previously, looks like they've been doing that readingWinkLOL

for your easy reference, here's the quote:

" real world does not lend itself to precise answers, to simple night and day choices and calculations."Clap 

(the part in red is mine, the applause is someone else's)Wink

Edited by chatbuster - 01 March 2007 at 8:40am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "what is the point of debates? (Page 10)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 9:16am | IP Logged
Originally posted by chatbuster

huh? someone still needs to learn that the real world is not just 2+2?LOL

one might get the same idea from the silent readings if they went to something i wrote elsewhere. and from what was quoted on this thread previously, looks like they've been doing that readingWinkLOL

for your easy reference, here's the quote:

" real world does not lend itself to precise answers, to simple night and day choices and calculations."Clap 

(the part in red is mine, the applause is someone else's)Wink

Originally posted by Jatayu Uncle

Excellent mkzara. A debate on debates.

I agree that it is usually not possible to bring another round to one's views. However, there are many ways in which debating is fruitful:

1. It allows us to put forward our views with logic, reason, facts and yes, sometimes emotion too. It helps us in organising our own minds in setting out an argument.

2. It is not possible to debate a subject without some amount of reasearch and this improves our knowledge.

3. When reading/listening to a counter argument, our minds open up to accepting a completely different point of view without rancour.

4. If we have debated our point well, it makes the "opponent" accept the logic and reasoning even if he does not come round to our view.

5. And finally, we might even succeed in convincing the other.

Taking a cue for Uncle J's reply I feel posting our views really gives us an oppurtunity to improve ourselves in many ways!!!

We can improve our language,tolerance levels,subject and creativity alsoEmbarrassed

For instance to understand the posts of DM senior member Buffie ,we need to have an oxford dictionary in hand or atleast we need to open the site dictionary.com  readilyLOL.This way we can improve our English!!

Some times  we try to debate on the issues which we donot support in real life.This gives us an oppurtunity to understand the other views also.

When a person is a silent reader he/she does'nt have the responsiblity of responding !! When we are not bothered to respond we don't show much interest in reading the content.Driving the point home,coming to DM and posting your views really makes you or me or anyone a better person,silent reading will not fetch you much advantage!!

Sayanora,

Mythili

lighthouse

IF-Dazzler

lighthouse

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 9:56pm | IP Logged

ROFLROFLROFL

@ Lighthouse ji!! Be brave and all the rest follows.Continue with your arguments which are really impressiveSmile.

ROFLROFLROFL

arguments?LOL

Big smile

Argument in the sense:

a discussion in which reasons are advanced for and against some proposition or proposal
  • A discussion in which disagreement is expressed

I'm not speaking of this mathematics argument whose meaning is

"An independent variable of a function."

Big smileBig smileBig smile

Myth...Thanks for keeping the candle burning brite..!!! Busy day at work.Cry

Me thinks it is time to move on when a word such as fine which is used to indicate moving forward provokes 57 word/5 lines of rebuttal. Some yap fest..!!!!!

Perhaps some people like theories so much that reality doesn't mean anything so here it goes...

Comparing debates to street fights is false analogy. If fun factor is the only similarity between the two it is like saying Sun and the Orange are the same because they are both orange in color. This is fallacy.

But why do we have to prove this when active debaters/posters have already expressed the intellectual stimulus, introspection and addiction as primary reasons for coming to DM and fun being secondary while it is the opposite in watching street fights..Confused    

I have work and house to attend to and beach to to enjoy and have fun..!!!

Cheers.!!!!

Autumn.

IF-Veteran Member

Autumn.

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 11:42pm | IP Logged

Taking a cue for Uncle J's reply I feel posting our views really gives us an oppurtunity to improve ourselves in many ways!!!

We can improve our language,tolerance levels,subject and creativity alsoEmbarrassed

Some times  we try to debate on the issues which we donot support in real life.This gives us an oppurtunity to understand the other views also.

When a person is a silent reader he/she does'nt have the responsiblity of responding !! When we are not bothered to respond we don't show much interest in reading the content.Driving the point home,coming to DM and posting your views really makes you or me or anyone a better person,silent reading will not fetch you much advantage!!

Sayanora,

Mythili

Many dont debate on the subjects which may interest them on reading but because of insufficient knowledge on that topic, they tend not to debate it. So in that case that person beccomes a silent reader and not an active participating member.

Some members initially may feel shy to post their views and hence do not post their views... Some are just plain lazy to debate/type..

Some silent readers never post but read the topics which may interest them and they enjoy reading those debates. As such there are many reasons as to why a person may not wished to write down his views.

In all the above cases it is not necessary that silent reader has no advantage. Silent reader also enhances his/her knowledge on the subject, language, and creativity as mentioned by you. As far as tolerance level in debates is concern it may not have much bearing because you have to be involved in a particular debate to be tolerant of the opposing view point.

Edited by sweta01 - 02 March 2007 at 12:23am

Autumn.

IF-Veteran Member

Autumn.

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 11:44pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by lighthouse

Comparing debates to street fights is false analogy. If fun factor is the only similarity between the two it is like saying Sun and the Orange are the same because they are both orange in color. This is fallacy.

But why do we have to prove this when active debaters/posters have already expressed the intellectual stimulus, introspection and addiction as primary reasons for coming to DM and fun being secondary while it is the opposite in watching street fights..Confused    

Clap Clap

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 02 March 2007 at 1:04am | IP Logged
Originally posted by sweta01

Sayanora,

Mythili

Many dont debate on the subjects which may interest them on reading but because of insufficient knowledge on that topic, they tend not to debate it. So in that case that person beccomes a silent reader and not an active participating member.

Some members initially may feel shy to post their views and hence do not post their views... Some are just plain lazy to debate/type..

Some silent readers never post but read the topics which may interest them and they enjoy reading those debates. As such there are many reasons as to why a person may not wished to write down his views.

In all the above cases it is not necessary that silent reader has no advantage. Silent reader also enhances his/her knowledge on the subject, language, and creativity as mentioned by you. As far as tolerance level in debates is concern it may not have much bearing because you have to be involved in a particular debate to be tolerant of the opposing view point.

Ms White Ji!

I mentioned all these things in the process of explaining my point "Advantage of debating".My focus is not on the issue "Why are silent readers silent".I think we had a healthy discussion on that topic earlier .I respect all the silent ,non silent,rebellious,funny,intelligent members of this forumSmile .

Cheers,

Mythili

chatbuster

IF-Rockerz

chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 02 March 2007 at 1:47am | IP Logged

Me thinks it is time to move on when a word such as fine which is used to indicate moving forward provokes 57 word/5 lines of rebuttal. Some yap fest..!!!!!

Perhaps some people like theories so much that reality doesn't mean anything so here it goes...

Cheers.!!!!

huh? that's what you read somewhere? "ONLY"? LOL btw, thare have been a lot of rebuttals but i suppose one will pick and choose what one will, no? that analogy was used in a twin context- to also make the point that "why debate" is a different question from "why read", something you seem to have accepted lately i think.

and we are back to why people come to DM, as opposed to "why debate"? i thought we had moved forward, not back LOL

btw, one might want to start with fun first. might make the debate education and the learning go easier and smoother. dont know. just an ideaLOL

Edited by chatbuster - 02 March 2007 at 2:06am

lighthouse

IF-Dazzler

lighthouse

Posted: 02 March 2007 at 5:57am | IP Logged

Cheers.!!!!

huh? that's what you read somewhere? "ONLY"? LOL btw, thare have been a lot of rebuttals but i suppose one will pick and choose what one will, no? that analogy was used in a twin context- to also make the point that "why debate" is a different question from "why read", something you seem to have accepted lately i think.

and we are back to why people come to DM, as opposed to

"why debate"? i thought we had moved forward, not back LOL

btw, one might want to start with fun first. might make the debate education and the learning go easier and smoother. dont know. just an ideaLOL

I suggest you go back and read 10 pages of this thread.. The answers from real people lie in there. I can garaunty that it is as real as it gets and not some cockamamie theory.

If a nuclear bomb were to hit us , we are not going to sit here and discuss nuclear physics..!!!!!

Post Reply New Post

Go to top