Mythological Masti

+* Pandava parivar *+ (Page 3)

Poll Question: Who is your favorite Pandava queen?

Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [4.76%]
0 [0.00%]
13 [61.90%]
1 [4.76%]
3 [14.29%]
1 [4.76%]
2 [9.52%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 17

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 15 October 2011 at 2:06am | IP Logged
Karna had two wives- Vrushali- from whom he had seven sons - and Supriya- a friend of Bhanumati.

Vrushali commited sati on Karna's funeral pyre. 

I will find out and let you know the source of this information

Vrish - Is there no mention in the Stree Parva ?

Edited by varaali - 15 October 2011 at 2:09am

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Archana.nac-Gitanjali--Archu-.Vrish.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "+* Pandava parivar *+ (Page 3)" in Mythological Masti forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

.Vrish.

IF-Veteran Member

.Vrish.

Posted: 15 October 2011 at 3:49am | IP Logged
I'll check Stri parva.  Much of it is just Gandhari ranting, but I'll see whether any references to Karna's wives are there.

Karna lost 4 sons in the war - Vrishasena was killed by Arjun, who contrasted the situation w/ Abhimanyu and told Karna that just as he killed Abhimanyu when Arjun wasn't there to protect him, Arjun would kill Vrishasena despite Karna's presence, and went on to do just that.  The next day, Nakul was involved in a battle w/ Chitrasena, Susena and Satyasena, and killed them.

So aside from Vrishaketu, who were Karna's other 2 sons?

Edited by .Vrish. - 15 December 2012 at 6:31pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Archana.nac-Gitanjali--Archu-

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 17 October 2011 at 10:03am | IP Logged
Originally posted by .Vrish.

I'll check Stri parva.  Much of it is just Gandhari ranting, but I'll see whether any references to Karna's wives are there.

Karna lost 4 sons in the war - Vrishasena was killed by Arjun, who contrasted the situation w/ Abhimanyu and told Karna that just as he killed Abhimanyu when Arjun wasn't there to protect him, Arjun would kill Vrishasena despite Karna's presence, and went on to do just that.  The next day, Nakul was involved in a battle w/ Chitrasena, Srutasena and Satyasena, and killed them.

So aside from Vrishaketu, who were Karna's other 2 sons?

Karna, I believe had nine sons.  Wikipedia says that one of Karna's sons did during the the chaos that followed Draupadi's swayamvar- but there is no such mention in the Swayamvara Parva. 

Regarding Vrishketu, the only son to survive the War, my source is, as I mentioned earlier,  the Jaimineya Mahabharata. 

Vrishketu accompanied both Bhima- to acquire the sacrificial horse and Arjuna, where he famously fought - (and was killed by) Babruvahana. Krishna's first response was to  revive  Vrishketu with the magical Naagmani and only then turn his attention to Arjuna.

You are right. In the Stree parva, Gandhari only mentions Karna's wife as Vrishsena's mother. No first names are given. But Vrushali being the wife of Karna  is fairly well known- though now I am at at a loss to know where it is mentioned 

Archana.nac-Archu-.Vrish.

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 17 October 2011 at 11:12am | IP Logged
Jaimini has used all his literary abilities while descibing the war b/w father  and son. There is a quick detour into the Lava- Kusha story as well. 

A quick background into the story. Vrishketu has managed to survive the war and is orphaned. Father killed and mother died a sati. Pandavas, especially Arjuna grief stricken on having killed their elder brother and also having lost all their sons, try to make ammends by being extra nice to Vrishketu. 

Ashwamedha yagna is planned and the perfect horse reqd for the yagna is currently in possession of a king (forgetting his name at the moment). Bhima offers to fetch the horse and is accompanied by his grandson Meghavarna and Vrishketu. Vrishketu displays his prowess on the battle field and proves that he is the son of Karna.

Later when the horse is duly worshipped and let loose Vrish ( I mean Karna's son- not you VrishLOL) accompanies Arjuna. Babruvahana, excited on meeting his father, falls at his feet offering his whole kingdom. Arjuna appalled at Babru's behaviour speaks harsh words. Babru needing no further provocation challengs the might of Pandava army . Vrishketu prevents Arjuna from ridiing out to battle first and instead offers to go. Arjuna meanwhile has seen ill omens and fears his death is imminent. He suggests that Vrish should return to Hastinapur. Vrish scoffs at his uncle's suggestion and prepares to battle. However Karna's son is no match for Arjuna's son and is slain in battle. 

Arjuna, both incensed and grieved, battles Babru where he is also killed. 

After the initial lamentations by the trio of Babru , Uloopi and Chitrangada, Uloopi urges Babru to fetch the Naagmani from the snake world to revive Arjun

But Babru has to face a lot of opposition in the snake world (incidentally, the king of snakes is  also known as Dritarashtra). Babru crushes the snakes and forces them to hand him the naagmani.

He  resurfaces in Manipur with the precious mani in hand- only to find that someone had stolen the head from Arjuna's body. He breaks down sobbing.

Meanwhile in Hastinapur, Kunti has been having vague dreams about Arjuna and she mentally summons Krishna . She confides her worst fears to Krishna and they all set off towards Manipur.

On seeing the sorry state of afairs in Manipur, Krishna takes a oath and by the strength of his deeds, forces Arjuna's head to reappear. He then revives Vrishketu first and then Arjuna.

Edited by varaali - 17 October 2011 at 9:51pm

Vibhishna

Goldie

Vibhishna

Posted: 25 October 2011 at 8:26pm | IP Logged
Wow! So much information...

Thank you all. I did not know most of it.

I remember a Tamil film mentioning Karna's son. In that film, Karna had only one son and he was killed when he was a little boy. I'm not sure which source they took it from. I'll check if there are mentions of Karna's family in the books I have.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Archana.nac.Vrish.

.Vrish.

IF-Veteran Member

.Vrish.

Posted: 26 October 2011 at 5:11am | IP Logged
Vibs

Welcome back.  Nice to see you after a long while. Smile

If you look @ pg 2 of this thread, you'll see Ananya has posted the link to the KM Ganguly Mahabharata.  If you read that, you'll see that he had 4 sons - Vrishasena, Chitrasena, Shrutasena & Satyasena, whose deaths I describe in the first post on this page.  It's also there in the ACK of the Mahabharata - the one that comes in I think 3 volumes and describes all the chapters.

I didn't know/think that he had any other sons, but vaarali came out w/ the Jaimineya Mahabharata that has a description of him.  I found the details fascinating.  I'm also interested in the other sons of the Pandavas - Yaudheya, Nirmitra and Suhotra, who she mentioned.  They were born to other wives of Yudhisthir, Nakula & Sahadeva, but I could find no description of them in the Mahabharata (I guess I'd have to read Adi parva again in detail, but their births would have happened after that of Draupadi's & Subhadra's sons.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Archana.nac

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 27 October 2011 at 1:29am | IP Logged
Vibhishana,

Are you referring to the Tamil  film 'Karnan" starring Shivaji ? Though it is a great movie, I don't think was factually very accurate.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Archana.nac-Archu-

Vibhishna

Goldie

Vibhishna

Posted: 28 October 2011 at 12:58pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by .Vrish.

Vibs

Welcome back.  Nice to see you after a long while. Smile

If you look @ pg 2 of this thread, you'll see Ananya has posted the link to the KM Ganguly Mahabharata.  If you read that, you'll see that he had 4 sons - Vrishasena, Chitrasena, Shrutasena & Satyasena, whose deaths I describe in the first post on this page.  It's also there in the ACK of the Mahabharata - the one that comes in I think 3 volumes and describes all the chapters.

I didn't know/think that he had any other sons, but vaarali came out w/ the Jaimineya Mahabharata that has a description of him.  I found the details fascinating.  I'm also interested in the other sons of the Pandavas - Yaudheya, Nirmitra and Suhotra, who she mentioned.  They were born to other wives of Yudhisthir, Nakula & Sahadeva, but I could find no description of them in the Mahabharata (I guess I'd have to read Adi parva again in detail, but their births would have happened after that of Draupadi's & Subhadra's sons.

Smile thanks.

I remember reading Draupadi was angry and jealous when she heard Arjun married another woman and brought her back to the palace to be his wife (Subhadra) but was not that upset to know her other husbands took consorts.

Nakul married Karenumati, the princess of Chedi and Niramitra was born to them.

Sahadeva married Vijaya, the princess of Madra and Suhotra was born to them. Some say he also married Jarasand's daughter - no idea where this comes from. I read it long back. I thought both of Jarasand's daughters were married to Kans.

I did not know Yudhishtr married anyone other than Draupadi but can get back after referring. I remember reading that Yudhishtr was the only one who did not marry anyone else other than Draupadi.

And, yes, these sons were much younger than Draupadi's sons and Abhimanyu. I don't know if they even knew their brothers and were probably brought up like Babruvahana.

Karna's family remained quite a mystery till I knew where to look. I still don't know much but will read the posts when I get time.

Edited by Vibhishna - 28 October 2011 at 1:02pm

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Mythological Masti Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.