Mythological Masti
Mythological Masti

India-Forums

+* Pandava parivar *+ (Page 12)

Poll Question: Who is your favorite Pandava queen?

Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [4.76%]
0 [0.00%]
13 [61.90%]
1 [4.76%]
3 [14.29%]
1 [4.76%]
2 [9.52%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

.Vrish. Viewbie
.Vrish.
.Vrish.

Posted: 10 April 2012 at 4:32pm | IP Logged
The other day, I was reading an ACK Parikshit, which briefly describes the story of how he died, and the snake sacrifice that Janamejaya conducted to avenge him.  Some interesting things came up here.

In this story, Parikshit, one day, was lost in a forest and approached Rishi Shamika to ask him for directions.  Since the rishi was engaged in a vow of silence, he ignored the king, and Parikshit, piqued, put a dead snake around his shoulders.  Later, when Shamika's son Shringi heard about it, he cursed Parikshit that he'd die 7 days after that day at the hands of Takshasha.  Later, when Parikshit learnt about the curse, he regretted that it hadn't occurred to him that the rishi was engaged in a vow of silence.

What follows is interesting.  The Pandava courtiers suggested that they build a high security palace on the top of a pillar, and have it properly secured, w/ guards inspecting every item that went in.  One sage, hearing about the curse, decided to become rich by going to Hastinapur and presenting Parikshit w/ the antidote.  On the way, Takshasha encountered him and asked him to demonstrate the powers of the antidote.  To illustrate his point, Takshasha assumed his real form, bit a tree and incinerated it, and asked the sage to revive it.  The sage using the antidote made the ashes first into charcoal, and then restored the tree.  Takshasha realized that this sage would foil his plans, so he persuaded the sage to accept whatever wealth he gave him and not to meet Parikshit.  The sage agreed.

Takshasha then took the form of a worm and hid himself in a fruit basket that was taken to Parikshit.  When the king discovered the worm, Takshasha assumed his complete form, bit Parikshit and disappeared out of the window.  The courtiers realized that it was him, but it was too late.

So Janamejaya was made king at a really young age, and ruled the kingdom wisely.  One day, he heard about how his father had been killed and vowed to kill Takshasha.  He then did an yagna in which thousands of nagas/snakes were killed.  Vasuki approached Brahma, who advised him to take refuge w/ Rishi Ashtika to save his race.

Takshasha was under the refuge of Indra, but at the 11th hour, Indra felt drained and realized that if he didn't bail on him, he too would fall victim to the yagna, and abandoned him.  However, while Takshasha was falling, Ashtika came and persuaded Janamejaya to end the yagna, promising him that the Nagas won't be a threat to him or his descendants going forward.

A few interesting things I found about the story:
  • The construction of a tower to protect Parikshit.  From what I read elsewhere, he spent the last 7 days having SB narrated to him by Vyasa, and on the 7th day, he actually died before Takshasha bit him
  • The sage who had the antidote to Takshasha's venom being easily bribed into not meeting him
  • Janamejaya being only a boy when Parikshit died, probably around the age of 72.  Assuming that he was in his teens, Parikshit had him pretty late in life.
  • The objective - thousands of Nagas were killed, except the real guilty one - Takshasha himself.  It would have been like the Pandavas wiping out everybody but sparing Duryodhan.  Janamejaya should have researched ways to specifically target Takshasha, including propriating his ancestor Indra.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

varaali

varaali IF-Dazzler
varaali
varaali

Posted: 11 April 2012 at 1:25am | IP Logged
Good of you Vrish to have steered the discussion towards Parikshit.

I have heard a slightly different version:

When Parikshit returned back to the palace and  removed his diadem, he regained his sanity and slowly the enormity of his  action dawned on him. At first he could scarcely believe that he, the grand nephew of Dharma-putra Yudhishthira had done such a deed, but unfortunately it was indeed so. Immediately he vowed to punish his body, which had done such a deed, by denying it food or water, in effect, dying through starvation. It was  after taking such a vow, that he came to know about Shringi's curse. Rather than attempt to thwart the curse, he accepted it humbly and prepared to meet his death. He called in his ministers and arranged for Janamajeya's coronation. 

Taking leave of his wife/ ves, he retired to the banks of Ganga which was when Sage Shukhdev made his appearance and started narrating the Srimad Bhagavatham to him. At the end of the seventh day, since he had been constantly listening to the Bhagavtam, Parikshit's soul  was able to free itself from the body on its own accord. Thus, what Takshak bit was just Parikshit's inert body.

Now the question arises, how could so cultured a king as Parikshit- one was blessed with constant vision of the Lord, when he was in his mother's womb- how could such a king commit such an act ? After all, he was Vishnuraat-  one who is  protected by Vishnu. How did his intellect take leave of him at that crucial moment?

The answer  lies in the diadem he was wearing on that fateful day. Earlier in the morning, he had been rummaging through the fabulous jewels and ornaments his grandfathers had acquired during their military expeditions. His eyes fell on a grand, sparkling crown and driven by a strange urge, put  it on. Immediately  he felt like going on a hunt - a sport he never really had any fascination for. And that was also when he committed the dastardly act.  After returning back, when he took the crown off his head, he regained his sanity. 

Why? What was so special about the crown? 

It was the crown of Jarasandha - one of the several treasures he had obtained through unfair means. And after Bhima killed Jarasandha, it found its way into the Pandava treasury. 

When Parikshit put the crown on his head,  Kali (the presiding spirit of the Kali Yuga) entered into it surreptitiously. After all, hadn't Parikshit himself offered five havens to Kali  to reside in ? And wasn't ill gotten gold one of them? Kali grabbed this oppurtunity to enter Parikshit's body and twist his mind. 

But the saving grace was that, Lord Krishna who had protected him even before he was born, now once again manifested himself to grant him salvation, this time in the form of Srimad Bhagavatham.   

Edited by varaali - 11 April 2012 at 2:03am

.Vrish.

varaali IF-Dazzler
varaali
varaali

Posted: 11 April 2012 at 2:07am | IP Logged
Let me hasten to add- before Vrish bombards me with questions LOL - what ever I have written in violet font is what I once heard in a katha . There is no textual proof to it. But it makes for an interesting read, so I added it here. 

.Vrish.

.Vrish. Viewbie
.Vrish.
.Vrish.

Posted: 11 April 2012 at 2:15am | IP Logged
In Dr RC Majumdar's book 'The Vedic Age' - which is a part of his history series - since he analyzed all this from a historical, rather than a religious perspective - he conjectured that this story was a metaphorical representation of the wars that Parikshit fought w/ the Nagas, in which he died, and Janamejaya continuing them w/ considerably more success.

varaali

Vibhishna Goldie
Vibhishna
Vibhishna

Posted: 12 April 2012 at 10:44pm | IP Logged
I've read the story Vrish mentioned in a different book, so some details are different. There was no mention of a fort or any sort of protective barriers for Parikshit. But the story of the brahman who wished to obtain wealth by saving Parikshit was told. In this book, it was said that Takshaka took the form of a brahman and sat with the other brahmans and sages gathered there and bit him when the narrative was over.

As for Janamejaya's snake sacrifice, I remember reading two versions of the story. One was that Janamejaya so bent on revenge wanted to exterminate the Nagas entirely and performed the sacrifice with a vow that he wouldn't stop till Takshaka was sacrificed. The other version was that a Brahman named Utanka who had a grudge against Takshaka spurred Janamejaya to perform the snake sacrifice to avenge his father. I guess Janamejaya was warned that many Nagas will be killed as a result but I think he did not care.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

ShivangBuch.Vrish.

.Vrish. Viewbie
.Vrish.
.Vrish.

Posted: 14 April 2012 at 12:32pm | IP Logged
Moved to MM forum from DBSK

Edited by .Vrish. - 20 April 2012 at 6:41am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

VibhishnaShivangBuch

.Vrish. Viewbie
.Vrish.
.Vrish.

Posted: 14 April 2012 at 9:10pm | IP Logged
Vibs

Uttanka would be the same guy who met Krishna after the Ashwamedha yagna and reprimanded him, right?
.Vrish. Viewbie
.Vrish.
.Vrish.

Posted: 15 May 2012 at 11:43pm | IP Logged
Okay, following the question in the quiz thread about Karna's birth, new question that comes up - where was Kuntibhoj's kingdom located, and what was its name?

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Mythological Masti Topic Index

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index