Mythological Masti

+* Pandava parivar *+ (Page 11)

Poll Question: Who is your favorite Pandava queen?

Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [4.76%]
0 [0.00%]
13 [61.90%]
1 [4.76%]
3 [14.29%]
1 [4.76%]
2 [9.52%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Post Reply New Post

Page 11 of 17

ShivangBuch

Goldie

ShivangBuch

Posted: 13 February 2012 at 5:45am | IP Logged

Beholding all the sacred waters and other holy places in that province, the strong-armed son of Pandu at last went, O king, to the virtuous Chitravahana, the ruler of Manipura. The king of Manipura had a daughter of great beauty named Chitrangada. And it so happened that Arjuna beheld her in her father's palace roving at pleasure. Beholding the handsome daughter of Chitravahana, Arjuna desired to possess her. Going unto the king (her father), he represented unto him what he sought. He said. 'Give away unto me thy daughter, O king! I am an illustrious Kshatriya's son.' Hearing this, the king asked him, 'Whose son art thou?' Arjuna replied, 'I am Dhananjaya, the son of Pandu and Kunti.' The king, hearing this, spoke unto him these words in sweet accents, 'There was in our race a king of the name of Prabhanjana, who was childless. To obtain a child, he underwent severe ascetic penances. By his severe asceticism, O Partha, he gratified that god of gods, Mahadeva, the husband of Uma, that supreme Lord holding (the mighty bow called) Pinaka. The illustrious Lord granted him the boon that each successive descendant of his race should have one child only. In consequence of that boon only one child is born unto every successive descendant of this race. All my ancestors (one after another) had each a male child. I, however, have only a daughter to perpetuate my race. But, O bull amongst men, I ever look upon this daughter of mine as my son. O bull of Bharata's race, I have duly made her a Putrika. Therefore, one amongst the sons that may be begotten upon her by thee, O Bharata, shall be the perpetuator of my race. That son is the dower for which I may give away my daughter. O son of Pandu, if them choosest, thou canst take her upon this understanding.' Hearing these words of the king, Arjuna accepted them all, saying, 'So be it.' Taking Chitravahana's daughter (as his wife), the son of Kunti resided in that city for three years. When Chitrangada at last gave birth to a son, Arjuna embraced that handsome princess affectionately. And taking leave of the king (her father), he set out on his wanderings again.

After some paragraphs:

Arjuna became desirous of once more beholding Chitrangada. He, therefore, proceeded towards the city of Manipura. Arrived there, he beheld on the throne the son he had begotten upon Chitrangada, and who was called by the name of Vabhruvahana. Seeing Chitrangada once more, Arjuna proceeded, O monarch, towards the spot called Gokarna.

Edited by ShivangBuch - 13 February 2012 at 5:48am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

varaali

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "+* Pandava parivar *+ (Page 11)" in Mythological Masti forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

.Vrish.

IF-Veteran Member

.Vrish.

Posted: 16 February 2012 at 3:52am | IP Logged
One thing about the story about the 'killing' of Arjun that strikes me.  Bheeshma was one of the Vasus, and they had wanted to be liberated as soon as born, which is why Ganga did the otherwise heinous act of drowning them.  Given that, why were they upset @ Arjun cheating and laying Bheeshma low?  If anything, they ought to have rejoiced that Bheeshma's release was now imminent, since Ganga had insisted that at least one son had to be kept alive to fulfill her marital duties.  Besides, I fail to see how Arjun's defeating Bheeshma was any more sinful than what Ganga did to his 7 elder brothers.

ShivangBuch

Goldie

ShivangBuch

Posted: 16 February 2012 at 4:47am | IP Logged
Originally posted by .Vrish.

One thing about the story about the 'killing' of Arjun that strikes me.  Bheeshma was one of the Vasus, and they had wanted to be liberated as soon as born, which is why Ganga did the otherwise heinous act of drowning them.  Given that, why were they upset @ Arjun cheating and laying Bheeshma low?  If anything, they ought to have rejoiced that Bheeshma's release was now imminent, since Ganga had insisted that at least one son had to be kept alive to fulfill her marital duties.  Besides, I fail to see how Arjun's defeating Bheeshma was any more sinful than what Ganga did to his 7 elder brothers.

Yes. Brilliant question. The only possible answer IMO could be that Vasus and Ganga were upset with the piercing of Bhishma's body rather than Bhishma's end coming near. It was for pain of Bhishma rather than anything else. Moreover, also Arjun didn't do it with the knowledge and intention to liberate Bhishma bud did it for own cause of winning the battle.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

.Vrish.

.Vrish.

IF-Veteran Member

.Vrish.

Posted: 16 February 2012 at 5:13am | IP Logged
Thanks to Santanu's boon, nobody could have liberated Bheeshma except himself, so to expect Arjun to liberate him would have been futile.  Arjun's goal was to immobilize Bheeshma so that he couldn't continue to massacre the Pandava armies.  Whether Bheeshma died or not would be up to him.

Also, the Vasu condition of waiving the curse if Arjun was killed by Babruvahana defied much sense, since he was brought back to life after that.  Killed means that Arjun would have had to be killed once and for all, and at that point, there wasn't much left for him to do.

Also, I thought that if a horse was successfully captured, as it was by Babruvahana, then the onus of doing the yagna now fell on the ruler who had accomplished this, which would be Babruvahana.  So the other thing that beats me is - how could Arjun continue w/ the yagna?

ShivangBuch

Goldie

ShivangBuch

Posted: 16 February 2012 at 7:58am | IP Logged

Thanks to Santanu's boon, nobody could have liberated Bheeshma except himself, so to expect Arjun to liberate him would have been futile.  Arjun's goal was to immobilize Bheeshma so that he couldn't continue to massacre the Pandava armies.  Whether Bheeshma died or not would be up to him.
I said intention of Arjun and not his ability to liberate Bhishma. Exactly what you said (and exactly what I said), Arjun's goal was to immobilize Bhishma (to win the war) and in that process he gave him pain rather than with the intention that Bhishma would be liberated soon (like Ganga had while drowning babies). You didn't catch the essence of my post I think.

Also, the Vasu condition of waiving the curse if Arjun was killed by Babruvahana defied much sense, since he was brought back to life after that.  Killed means that Arjun would have had to be killed once and for all, and at that point, there wasn't much left for him to do.

Also, I thought that if a horse was successfully captured, as it was by Babruvahana, then the onus of doing the yagna now fell on the ruler who had accomplished this, which would be Babruvahana.  So the other thing that beats me is - how could Arjun continue w/ the yagna?
I knew about this query of yours and was impliedly in my mind while writing my earlier post today when I wrote that the sacrifice had to be continued by the winner. But then LK were undefeated and still they returned the horse back and surrendered the right (along with responsibility) to perform the sacrifice. Don't you think this to be the same case?

.Vrish.

IF-Veteran Member

.Vrish.

Posted: 22 February 2012 at 12:53pm | IP Logged
A new question occurred to me after the clarification in the MM Games thread that Jarasandha's daughter was married to Sahadev.  A reference to this can be found in Ashramavasa Parva, for those who doubt it.

The thing that struck me as curious was that both Nakul's marriage to Sishupala's daughter Karenamati, as well as Sahadev's marriage to Jarasandha's daughter (unsure about her name) were arranged marriages - it wasn't like Arjun's marriages to Uloopi, Chitrangada or Subhadra.  Since Jarasandha's daughter was presumably married first - immediately after his death, wouldn't he have married the older of the 2 sons of Madri, who didn't have any other wives?  IIRC, Nakula was recognized as older than Sahadev, and presumably, this princess would have been the 2nd wife to either of  them, whereas had she been tied to Bhima or Arjun, she'd have been wife# 3 or 5.  I'm assuming that by then, Yudhisthir too was married to Devika, which is why she didn't marry him.

So the 2 assumptions I'm making here are:
  • Both daughters of Jarasandha & Sishupala married Sahadev & Nakul immediately after the deaths of their fathers (it doesn't make sense to think that any daughter of Jarasandha would marry 14 years after her father's death - that wasn't the custom in those days)
  • Neither Nakul nor Sahadev had >2 wives - these 2, and Draupadi b4 them.
In such a case, wouldn't a princess automatically marry the older of the available princes?  In which case, Nakul should have ended up w/ Jarasandha's daughter, and Sahadev w/ Sishupala's.

I won't revisit something I discussed earlier in this thread - about Sishupala being much younger than Nakul, so that his sister, rather than daughter, may have been who married Nakul.

Incidentally, does anyone know the origins of Yudhisthir's other wife Devika?  Was she a princess of any kingdom, or just someone else he chose to marry?

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

ShivangBuchvaraali

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 24 February 2012 at 11:06pm | IP Logged

There is a story before that. 

When Vashishtha came to know thru his yogic power how the Vasus the kidnapped his beloved Nandini, (the actual kidnapping was done by only one of them- the rest  stood by watching) he cursed them to be born into the mortal world. The Vasus, frightened and repentant fell at Vashishtha's feet imploring him to reverse his curse. Vashishtha, now mollified granted that seven of them would be liberated as soon as they were born, but Prabhasa, the one who actually siezed the cow would have to work out his karma as a human.

Then the Vasus asked  Ganga to allow them to be born thru her womb and throw them into her waters as soon as they were born.

Where does it say that the remaining seven were upset on Arjuna felling Bhishma down?

As for Arjuna's curse to be killed by his own son, it was pronounced by Ganga herself. The curse was overheard by Ulopi's father, who lived in her waters and requested her not be carried away by motherly feelings.The curse she had just pronounced would only lead to greater heartache - and- Shesha (Uloopi's father) adds tactfully- Would Ganga's son be happy on seeing his beloved grandson- Arjuna- be killed by his own son? 

After some more assuaging talk, Sesha forces Ganga to grant that Arjuna could be brought back alive.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

ShivangBuch.Vrish.

.Vrish.

IF-Veteran Member

.Vrish.

Posted: 25 February 2012 at 12:56am | IP Logged
The full account of what happened after Arjun downed Bheeshma was narrated to Arjun by Uloopi herself.

Ganga's curse was a very passive curse, so to speak - the Vasus approached her wanting Arjun to be cursed, and she essentially said 'Tathastha'.  It's not like Ganga reacted to Bheeshma's defeat the way Gandhari reacted to Duryodhan's when she cursed Krishna.  And when Kauravya - Uloopi's father - approached them to get Arjun's curse lifted, it was the Vasus he approached, not Ganga, since they were the ones driving this curse.

Honestly, Bheeshma's defeat - not slaying, since he didn't die until he wanted to - was overcompensated by the Pandavas.  Yudhisthir did the Ashwamedha to atone for his killing, as well as that of Drona and Karna.  Arjun died in battle to pay off that debt as well.  Overkill, I would say, in a manner of speaking, and all this incident did was expose Babruvahana as the most supreme warrior on earth.  If Arjun could be killed for Bheeshma's death, why not for Karna's death as well?  Just b'cos Kunti would have a conflict of interests, all of Karna's brothers & sons were dead and poor Radha didn't have the divine powers that Ganga had?

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Mythological Masti Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.