Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 12 years ago
Vrishasena was Karna's eldest son, and one of the top warriors of the Kauravas.  On day 17, after Bhima had slain Dushashan, Vrishasena was battling Nakula and getting the better of him, when Arjun reminded Karna of how he had killed Abhimanyu behind his back, but in contrast, Arjun would kill Vrishasena right in front of Karna.  Arjun then attacked Vrishasena, cut off his arms and then his head.  That's what started that final battle b/w Arjun & Karna.

All the foster brothers that Karna had were killed by Arjun.  I'm not aware of any nephews that he had.  As I mentioned earlier, Karna had 4 sons (as per Vyasa).  The eldest - Vrishasena - was killed as described above.  The others - Chitrasena, Shrutasena and Satyasena were all killed by Nakula on day 18.  There was no mention of any other sons.

Vrishaketu is not mentioned in Vyasa's - or at least KM Ganguly's translated work - Mahabharata.  He (and Meghavarna) are only mentioned in the Jamineya version that Varaali listed.  In fact, from what Varaali wrote earlier, Karna had 7 sons.  Of these, 4 of them who were killed were accounted for in the war on days 17 & 18, Vrishaketu would make it 5, but that leaves the question of what happened to the other 2.

I think your explanation on Adiratha & Radha is probably right - either they died, so the Pandavas just adopted Vrishaketu and brought him up as one of their own, or the Pandavas persuaded Adirath & Radha to allow them to atone for killing Karna by inviting them in, caste differences notwithstanding, so that they could make amends to them by helping raise Vrishaketu.

You may be right about Uloopi.  What I think is that she needed to be prepared for someone's death for her gem's magic to work - she couldn't just revive anyone, anywhere, anytime.  The thing that strikes me as odd is that if she could overhear the conversations of the Vasus and knew about Bheeshma's death on day 10, even though she was not in Kurukshetra, wouldn't she have known about her son's death on day 8 and been in a position to resurrect him?  Especially since Arjun did not love her b4 that and only married her on her pleas, her son - and Babruvahana were everything to her.  

Of course, after Arjun was revived in battle and heard all the details about why he had to be killed and how Uloopi saved him from hell, he started loving her, and for the remainder of his life, both Uloopi and Chitrangada lived w/ him in Hastinapur.  When the Pandavas finally retired, Chitrangada returned to Babruvahana, while Uloopi entered her watery kingdom in Nagaland (it's not exactly clear whether that means that she drowned herself or simply returned to her maayka).
Edited by .Vrish. - 12 years ago
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Uloopi  and the mystery of Naagmani

The question raised as far as I understand is Wyy didn't Uloopi use the mani to revive Iravan?. 

She would not have, even if she knew of  Iravan's death beforehand.
Dying a warrior's death on the battlefield was something every kshatriya (and the mothers who brought them up) was prepared for. In fact, it was said (by Vyasa) that one should not grieve for those who had died on the battlefield since they were sure to attain Swarga. 

Uloopi was a brave princess who had singlehandedly  raised both Iravan and Babruvahan and she would have been proud of the way Iravan achieved veergati (is there an english equivalent?) rather than go through the hassle of bringing him back to life. (That is why I voted for her in the poll above)

Reviving Iravan with the mani (even if it had been possible) just didn't make sense. Then next, Draupadi would be requesting Uloopi to revive her five sons, then Abhimanyu would have to brought back from dead, then why not Karna-  at the end of it all, every one would have come to life and we would be back to square one- and maybe a third dice game.πŸ˜‰

No it didn't work like that. The mani was in the custody of a fierce snake (incidentally called Dritarashtra) and his sons- Dustabuddhi and Durswabhava. Babruvahan had to battle with them before acquiring the mani. Moreover the circumstances of Arjuna's death were as a influence of a curse from Ganga. As Ganga pronounced the curse on Arjuna (when Bhishma lay dying), Uloopi's father (Sesha) overheard the curse and requested some way out. GAnga then offered  that after Arjuna had been shot at by his son, and after he knew what it means to be killed by his own blood, he could be revived usng the Mani. (This is what is given in Jaimineya Mahabharata)

Vrishketu

When we encounter Vrishketu in JMB, he is an adult who is married and who has participated in the MB war. Most likely, post the War, he would have been granted kingship of Anga. So we can infer that Vrishketu doesn't need any further " raising up".

Radha and Adhirath may have lived with him in their old age (they had lost their biological sons as well),  He was with the Pandavas for two reasons-  (1) to hone his archery skills under Arjuna (Arjuna mentions with a tinge of regret that while he did not have the oppurtunity to teach Abhimanyu, he wanted to recompense by teaching Vrishketu) and 
(2) to participate in the military campaigns related to the ashwamedha yagna. 

Oh yes, the Pandavs, especially Arjuna did cherish him a lot. When Vrishketu was felled down by Babruvahan, Arjuna's sorrow is truly heart rending . But they  did not molly coddle him or dissuade him from  joining in their battles. That would have been against what kshatriyahood stood for.

So, in Kali yuga, Vibhishna is a womanπŸ˜†.  Why is it Vibhishna and not Vibhishana?

Edited by varaali - 12 years ago
Vr15h thumbnail
Good explanation above.  I do disagree about one thing - even if Uloopi revived Iravana, Abhimanyu, Draupadi's sons, she would have been under no obligation to do it for the Kauravas.  Doing it for Duryodhan or Shakuni would still have been out of the question - she could have just done it for a select few Pandava sons and some younger allies, like Uttar, Sveta, Dhrishtadyumna's sons, etc, and left it @ that.

If Vrishaketu participated in the war (presumably on the Kaurava side), how did he even survive?  This one defies credulity.  He'd have been alive, and then, when Ashwatthama, Kripa & Kritavarma did their midnight massacre, how come they didn't order him to join them?  They could have, since Duryodhan had annointed Ashwatthama the commander in chief of the Pandavas.  Plus is there any account of him battling anybody?

Also, you mentioned that Karna had 7 sons, of which we know the names of 5.  What happened to the other 2?  Also, if Yudhisthir made him the ruler of Anga, then than answers your question on why he didn't put him in the line of succession.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
I have one question. Wasn't Babruvahana the son of Chitrangada? Why did Uloopi raise him in place of his biological mother? I thought Chitrangada remained behind at her natal home after marriage, as per Arjuna's promise.

I know this was probably mentioned in the previous pages, but when did Uloopi and Chitrangada come to live at Indraprastha with Arjuna? They didn't come right after marriage like most women, did they?

@Vibhishna,

You changed your profile icon!!!
Vr15h thumbnail
Uloopi didn't raise him in place of Chitrangada.  She just decided that since Arjun didn't love her, but did love Chitrangada, she just decided to spend her time w/ her, and helped her in raising Babruvahana.  I'm actually using the ACK here - something curious about it is that there is no mention of her raising Iravana as well, although one would think that that is implied, and that both Iravana & Babruvahana were raised in Manipur by Uloopi & Chitrangada.

After the battle b/w Arjun & Babruvahana, which the latter won, he was invited to attend the Ashwamedha yagna, and brought both Uloopi & Chitrangada along.  This time, when Babruvahana left Hastinapur after the yagna, Uloopi & Chitrangada stayed on in Hastinapur.  When the Pandavas finally decided to retire and leave their kingdom to Parikshit, the Pandava womenfolk other than Draupadi stayed on w/ him, but Chitrangada returned to Manipur to join Babruvahana, while Uloopi entered her watery kingdom.  It's unclear whether that means she drowned herself, or that she simply returned to the place where she originally met Arjun.  This was in sharp contrast to Krishna's womenfolk - a lot of whom committed agni-samadhi after Arjun took them to Indraprastha, or took vanvas.

One thing I've wondered - and I did mention it in some of the previous pages, but maybe Vibs, or you, or anyone else reading this can answer.  When the Pandavas went into exile, their wives (except Draupadi) went to their maayka kingdoms to raise their children.  However, when the Pandavas finally retired, then why didn't all their wives accompany them?  Devika, Paulomi, Valandhara, Hidimba, Subhadra, Uloopi, Chitrangada, Karenamati and Vijaya - they didn't have anything left, so why didn't they simply accompany their husbands and Draupadi, leaving Uttara w/ Parikshit?  (On Subhadra, I've seen 2 different accounts - one says that she stayed behind w/ Parikshit, Uttara and the other Pandava womenfolk, while another account says that after Arjun crowned Anirudha's son Vajra as the ruler of the Vrishnis, he left Subhadra as his regent/guardian.)  I know everybody's milages vary, but one would have thought that they'd have preferred to be w/ their husbands.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

Uloopi didn't raise him in place of Chitrangada.  She just decided that since Arjun didn't love her, but did love Chitrangada, she just decided to spend her time w/ her, and helped her in raising Babruvahana.  I'm actually using the ACK here - something curious about it is that there is no mention of her raising Iravana as well, although one would think that that is implied, and that both Iravana & Babruvahana were raised in Manipur by Uloopi & Chitrangada.

After the battle b/w Arjun & Babruvahana, which the latter won, he was invited to attend the Ashwamedha yagna, and brought both Uloopi & Chitrangada along.  This time, when Babruvahana left Hastinapur after the yagna, Uloopi & Chitrangada stayed on in Hastinapur.  When the Pandavas finally decided to retire and leave their kingdom to Parikshit, the Pandava womenfolk other than Draupadi stayed on w/ him, but Chitrangada returned to Manipur to join Babruvahana, while Uloopi entered her watery kingdom.  It's unclear whether that means she drowned herself, or that she simply returned to the place where she originally met Arjun.  This was in sharp contrast to Krishna's womenfolk - a lot of whom committed agni-samadhi after Arjun took them to Indraprastha, or took vanvas.

One thing I've wondered - and I did mention it in some of the previous pages, but maybe Vibs, or you, or anyone else reading this can answer.  When the Pandavas went into exile, their wives (except Draupadi) went to their maayka kingdoms to raise their children.  However, when the Pandavas finally retired, then why didn't all their wives accompany them?  Devika, Paulomi, Valandhara, Hidimba, Subhadra, Uloopi, Chitrangada, Karenamati and Vijaya - they didn't have anything left, so why didn't they simply accompany their husbands and Draupadi, leaving Uttara w/ Parikshit?  (On Subhadra, I've seen 2 different accounts - one says that she stayed behind w/ Parikshit, Uttara and the other Pandava womenfolk, while another account says that after Arjun crowned Anirudha's son Vajra as the ruler of the Vrishnis, he left Subhadra as his regent/guardian.)  I know everybody's milages vary, but one would have thought that they'd have preferred to be w/ their husbands.

I remember that when reading a translation of the MB, Uloopi forced Arjun to marry him, so he never loved her as a reason of that? And Uloopi and Chitrangada came to live with the Pandavas after the MB war?

I guess Uloopi returning to her watery Kingdom meant she returned to her maayka, because she was a Naag Kanya and I don't think drowning herself was an option for suicide, since she technically couldn't drown?

I've also wondered about your question...why did only Draupadi accompany the Pandavas? I have a theory in mind which I don't know is correct or not, but I guess it wouldn't hurt sharing it with you all. The Pandavas are all said to be the incarnations of the Gods who fathered them...like Yudhisthira is an incarnation of Dharmaraj, Bhima an incarnation of Vayu Dev, etc, and Draupadi is said to be an incarnation of Kali Devi. Some say she was an incarnation of Sachi (the wife of Indra) while others say she's an incarnation of Lakshmi, though I don't really buy that since she would have married Krishna had she been Lakshmi, right? Anyway, more sources say Draupadi was an incarnation of Kali and that's why she was always filled with so much anger and thirst for revenge at the Kauravas, and if that's true, then the Pandavas' and Draupadi's yatra may have been equivalent to Shri Ram's Mahaprayaan...returning to their divine abode. However, Shri Ram did take Bharat and Shatrughan with him, as well as all the vanar sena minus Hanuman, Angad, and Jambavanth, so the Pandavas could have taken the rest of their womenfolk, but then again, the vanar sena were also all incanrations of Gods, so it makes sense for them to return to their divine abodes as well, and both Bharat and Shatrughan were parts of Vishnu himself, so they too could not have remained on Earth without Ram.

Being normal women, I guess the other womenfolk of the Pandavas remained behind because they had no divine abode to return to.

Sorry if this theory sounds silly, but that's what I've always thought.😳
Vr15h thumbnail
That explanation sounds good, except that given that as married women, their place was with their husbands, it didn't really make sense that they didn't retire w/ them.  Most kings, when they handed over the thrones to their sons and retired to the forest e.g. Yayati, their wives went w/ them.  The Pandava wives too would have simply accompanied their husbands to their celestial abodes - it would be theirs as well by virtue of marriage, no?

You're right about Uloopi - Arjun didn't want to marry her, and just had a one night stand b4 moving on.  After being revived by Uloopi, when he heard her story of how he had been cursed, and how he had to be killed by Babruvahana and how she resurrected him, he started loving her.  Arjun was introduced to Iravana in the battlefield when Iravana joined the Pandavas, and developed an instant fondness for him.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

That explanation sounds good, except that given that as married women, their place was with their husbands, it didn't really make sense that they didn't retire w/ them.  Most kings, when they handed over the thrones to their sons and retired to the forest e.g. Yayati, their wives went w/ them.  The Pandava wives too would have simply accompanied their husbands to their celestial abodes - it would be theirs as well by virtue of marriage, no?

You're right about Uloopi - Arjun didn't want to marry her, and just had a one night stand b4 moving on.  After being revived by Uloopi, when he heard her story of how he had been cursed, and how he had to be killed by Babruvahana and how she resurrected him, he started loving her.  Arjun was introduced to Iravana in the battlefield when Iravana joined the Pandavas, and developed an instant fondness for him.

So Arjun did not even know about Iravan till the battle? I guess Ulupi and Chitrangada shared the same bond as Draupadi and Subhadra, raising each other's children and all in their husband's absense.

Yeah, as married women the womenfolk could have returned to their husband's divine boade, but maybe they wanted to remain behind as support for Parikshit, though he would not have needed all of them.
Vibhishna thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
varaali,

Thanks for the info. I knew something or someone was guarding the gem but didn't know who or what. I should have guessed, though. Almost all the stories involving snakes are the same.

I first tried registering as Vibhishan but it was not available so just interchanged the last two letters - like this spelling too. It gives a clue to those who observe. πŸ˜‰

JanakiRaghunath,

I changed it - it had been the same for a long time. I really liked this picture which I have put up. Its a picture of Vibhishan meeting Ram for the first time.

Uloopi need not have revived everyone but it would be expected and thought of as partiality of the Pandavas. Too many questions and gossips would have risen and the whole point of the war would have gone to dust.

Probably, Duryodhan felt that staining Karna's son's honour was not appropriate now that he was the closest thing to a father to him. Also, I remember reading that Duryodhan did not approve of Aswathama killing the Pandavas' sons.

As for the womenfolk, I think they had a choice to live or die. Also, as long as they have a living heir to the family, the can stay or leave their husband's home. The others except Draupadi were used to living alone without the Pandavas. They probably felt that they needed to enjoy the peaceful times and spend some time with the family whom they never lived with - get used to their relatives - especially in the case of Chitrangada. She could have stayed to get to know her relatives better and forge a stronger bond (not just mere relation but a more deeper understanding and acceptance) with her relatives.

Uloopi went back to her world after the Pandavas left the kingdon relinquishing all the power to the next generation. The entrance to Nagaloka is beneath or in a water body - a lake or sea or something. Hence, for the snakes, entering the watery kingdom means that they went through the gate between the Earth and Nagaloka to reach their own world. Uloopi actually spirited Arjun away to Nagaloka the night he stayed with her.
Vr15h thumbnail
Vibs

Duryodhan very much approved of what Ashwatthama did - see here, and we can discuss that aspect further in the Doubts & Discussions thread.  Given that even Kripacharya, the kulguru, resolved to join him in this heinous act, as well as Kritavarma, the hero of the Andhakas, it's very unlikely that Vrishaketu would have been exempt.  Incidentally, does Jamineya describe Vrishaketu's role in the war, if he fought?  Or is it just a 'he took part'?  Incidentally, Yuyutsu too took part and survived, but was not in the camp that Ashwatthama massacred.

Uloopi being partial to the Pandavas would have been naturual - she was (one of) their  wife.  Whole point of the war would have been fine had she resurrected all the sons of the Pandavas, barring maybe Ghatotkacha.

Your explanation about the decision of the womenfolk seems to explain their not accompanying their husbands on their final journey.