Bade Acche Laggte Hai
Bade Acche Laggte Hai

India-Forums

SCREEN INDIA - A GrandMother made of 10Tonnes GHEE

---Manish--- IF-Rockerz
---Manish---
---Manish---

Posted: 21 October 2011 at 4:28am | IP Logged
She's the quintessential matriarch — affectionate, aggressive, imposing, grudgingly approving of her would-be grand-daughter-in-law and fiercely proud of her ghee-soaked Punjabiness. She makes up for her slow, hesitant gait with her quick wit and there is little else to arrest your attention when she is in the frame. Understandably then, 67-year-old Rajinder Kaur Manchanda — who plays Ram Kapoor's daadi on Sony's Bade Ache Lagte Hai — has turned into one of the most popular TV actors lately. "I get calls from my fans across the globe and they have given me various nick names — Dus tin ghee, Hitler, Punjab di daadi and Punjab di awaaz. I am extremely touched," says an overwhelmed Manchanda, who lives in Mumbai. Her been-there-knows-all character on television may be spot-on but in fact, Manchanda is a mere novice in the industry. Having made her on-screen debut three years ago with an IPL advertisement, she followed it up with a role on Star Plus' Sabki Laadli Bebo and then Zee TV's Aap Ki Antara. "But my first screen appearance was five years ago," she confides, "I auditioned in Rock n Roll Family, a dance-reality show on Zee TV, with my son. Even though I didn't make it to the show, I did get noticed." After her stint on TV, Manchanda's coordinator got her an audition for Nikhil Advani's 2011 film, Patiala House where she played Rishi Kapoor's sister. "On the very first day of the shooting, Akshay Kumar came up to me and started talking. I miss him. Hard Kaur is also very nice and since she, too, is a Punjabi, we used to chat all the time," she recounts warmly. She is now awaiting the release of her next film, Stand By, on August 26.

Behind Manchanda's smile and effervescence lies a tale of loss and tears. After losing her husband 11 years ago, Manchanda shut herself in a room for two years. What rescued her was her interest in studying and teaching. A post-graduate in sociology and trained as a teacher, she began taking private tuitions. "After a while, I realised I was sick and tired of teaching and wanted to do something more alive. That's when I got an opportunity to act," she says. But she attributes her recent success to her grand-daughter Kirat on whose insistence Manchanda auditioned for Bade Ache Lagte Hai. On the sets, she has already forged healthy relationships with the cast. "I called Ram 'Ram Kapoorji' on the first day of the shoot for which he reprimanded me. Both Ram and Sakshi (Tanwar, the female lead) are very fond of me and refer to me as daadi," she adds, warmly. Besides the protagonists and the audience, Manchanda's charm has worked like magic on producers Ekta and Shobha Kapoor too. "Shobhaji sent a message to everyone on the team asking them to take good care of me. I feel special."

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

kamuralihin_saShaiqMadihashamma92anizorsaniya9919avivakirk-MariaMars-

-SakshisFan- Goldie
-SakshisFan-
-SakshisFan-

Posted: 21 October 2011 at 12:15pm | IP Logged
thats sweet :)
thx for sharing
avivakirk IF-Sizzlerz

Banned Upon Request

Posted: 21 October 2011 at 12:33pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
desigrl05 IF-Sizzlerz
desigrl05
desigrl05

I-F Crazy Creatives

Posted: 21 October 2011 at 12:47pm | IP Logged

so damn sweet yaar...she seems to be very grounded

kaveri IF-Rockerz
kaveri
kaveri

Posted: 21 October 2011 at 12:50pm | IP Logged
aww so sweetBig smile

thx for sharingSmile
saniya9919 IF-Dazzler
saniya9919
saniya9919

Posted: 21 October 2011 at 12:53pm | IP Logged
She is cute..love her...the way she treats Niharika & gang is superb.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

avivakirk

avivakirk IF-Sizzlerz

Banned Upon Request

Posted: 21 October 2011 at 4:01pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

saniya9919

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Check these Celebrity also

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index