Relevance of God in four lives

Opti thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 12 years ago
This topic is a spin off from the comment made by Zainab in my thread and my response to the same.  

This show has explored so many facets and one such facet is the  relevance or otherwise of God.

As Zainab pointed out, yesterday's episode drew the  sharp contrasts  between Khushi, Shyam and Arnav with regard to what role the supreme power plays in their lives. 

To Khushi, her Goddess is her companion  and her guide.  When she feels lost, she relies on her Devi Maiyya to show her the way. She always got her signs from her goddess and abided by them. Her unflinching faith had seen her through many a troubled times. Yesterday episode showcased one such example, when she prayed for 'shakti' and she sees Arnav standing rock solid for her to pour out her grief.

To Shyam that same Goddess is a convenient means to an unholy end. Seeing that Khushi was within earshot, he stands in front of Devi Maiyya and loudly demands that she saves Khushi's father when he knows that he himself is responsible for the old man's state.  He makes a show of burning his hand in the diya in return for the old man's health while in the heart of hearts he really wants the old man to kick the bucket without so much as a whimper.  His devious purpose of gaining Khushi's attention was served when she rushes to him and bandages his hand but his long term goal of winning her over would surely get thwarted. He can fool people with his fake piety but he cannot fool God and his reward (or should I say punishment ?) awaits him.  As they say there is no escaping God's justice, even if it is sometimes delivered with a lag.  

To Arnav , the very existence of God is questionable.  He feels that even if God exists, he/she is merely a mute spectator to what is happening around.  He may not revere Khushi's Devi Maiyya but he respects her enough to dive in order to save her for Khushi (this at a time when he did not even like the girl).  No wonder Devi Maiyya has a soft corner for him and is creating all sorts of situations for him to unite with her favourite disciple. 

I would like to bring in Anjali too into this discussion.

To Anjali, all Gods, not just Devi Maiyya, are equally important.  She devotes her entire existence to conducting poojas after poojas. She lives more in the spiritual world than the real world so much so that she is blind to her husband's wayward behaviour. Yes, she does question him from time to time but is more than willing to accept his lame excuses maybe because it lets her live in this make-believe world of perfect happiness.  She lives by the adage 'ignorance is bliss.' 

There is one thing common between Shyam and Arnav. Both have tremendous self belief.  Both feel that they can achieve whatever they want without any divine intervention.  In fact despite all his outward show of being a pious man, I think Shyam is as much a non-believer as Arnav is, for any man who believes in God would shudder to do the evil things he does. There is, however, a big difference between Arnav and Shyam. While  Arnav, despite his hard exterior, will never dream of adopting immoral means to achieve his end,  Shyam will stop at nothing, including taking one's life, to achieve what he wants.  

Similarly while both Khushi and Anjali believe in God, Khushi is more pragmatic.  She prays to her Goddess for guidance but she does not expect her Devi Maiyya to do things for her. She herself acts on it, putting in more than 100 per cent in every task she takes up. Anjali on the other hand seems to have left everything in God's hands.  If she had shown even 10 per cent curiosity in what her husband was up to she would have discovered so much about him.  It is easy to say that her trust in him blinded her but then I feel that it is unhealthy to trust someone so blindly especially when his actions are suspect.  I guess this is one problem that the entire Raizada clan face though. Even the otherwise shrewd Arnav seems to have such blind trust in his jiju.  
Edited by Opti - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

incandescent thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

Wow!! great post!!

The relevance of supreme power is a significant part of the show. The four characters perceive God in four different ways.

Khushi - Has tremendous faith in devi maiyya. she prays to her for strength and support but does not expect devi maiyya to do all her work for her. 

Anjali - She is a devotee and believes in performing all the elaborate rituals. She only chooses to see goodness in this world. Her perception towards the ways of the world in unrealistic. She lives in her perfect bubble. i will quote Arnav here, "di duniyadari nahin samjhtee". 

Shyam - Shyam is an over cofident fool. He believes he can get away with anything if he performs puja path. He things everyone including god can be bribed. 

Arnav - Atheist on the exterior. Agnostic on the interior. Maybe he does not pray but does not disrespect the faith of others.

Edited by incandescent - 12 years ago
stardust- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Khushi is more pragmatic.  She prays to her Goddess for guidance but she does not expect her Devi Maiyya to do things for her.

this is very much true..
i have noticed too she never says devi maiyya hamaare liyye yeh karna, she always says raksha karna devi maiyya and on the ocassion she had to leave delhi, she asked for an omen poiniting her to stay back, she did not ask for strength itself to stay back, she does respect her devi maiyya and asks her to give strength but always derieves it herself...and on yesterday's ocassion, from arnav.. also, the convesations she has with the goddess are like she is one of her family, and love how she says, maaf karna devi maiyya, glathi ho gayyi..
apart from bringing out the the way each of the 4 perceive god, the comparisions between them is what i loved..
will go and read the other mentioned posts nowπŸ˜†

current thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
To give the DEVIL his DueπŸ˜›...Fantastic post..πŸ‘

Now Absolutely correct..

Religion has been integral to IPKKND...For Khushi ..devi Mayyia is her confidante..at times from than Payal...She shares everything including all she had to suffer at the hands of her LAAD governor..Devi Myyia was Privy to everthing..

Anjali is however more a keeper than a believer..I think although she has her faith but with her it is almost ritualistic...In fact her confidante is her brother ARNAV>..ironical..isn't it...

and then there is Slimeball Shyam...where he will bend and twist and use GOD to his own purpose..even the pujas he has shared with Anjali have never been from the heart..He is a sham and that holier than thou act fools everyone  but I wonder in the future will he be able to pull it off in front of ANjali..I suspect he will ask divine intervention to convince Anjali..He will prob keep GOD as a witness to prove himself innocent.hmmm we shall see

and then Arnav...the first faceoff in the temple where he refused GOD's power to shape lives and FLung the GOD in Khushi's face..that same Arnav has not only come a long way but me thinks he has started being more accomodating..case in point ..his forbearance during the Aarti of the TEEJ episode and then the PUja for his parents..I suspect...for him GOD will become a bigger presence as Khushi comes in to his life..

and can I say..because of religion.we have had all the religious festivals celebrated with big fervour and that itself has given many opportunites for the leading couple to come together..

and I just remembered ...even the name for ARNAV..the RAKSHAS has religious connotations..because For khushi religion is a way of life..and for ASR it gets in the way of life..
Edited by current - 12 years ago
current thumbnail
Originally posted by: DaShIng_GiRl

Khushi is more pragmatic.  She prays to her Goddess for guidance but she does not expect her Devi Maiyya to do things for her.

this is very much true..
i have noticed too she never says devi maiyya hamaare liyye yeh karna, she always says raksha karna devi maiyya and on the ocassion she had to leave delhi, she asked for an omen poiniting her to stay back, she did not ask for strength itself to stay back, she does respect her devi maiyya and asks her to give strength but always derieves it herself...and on yesterday's ocassion, from arnav.. also, the convesations she has with the goddess are like she is one of her family, and love how she says, maaf karna devi maiyya, glathi ho gayyi..
apart from bringing out the the way each of the 4 perceive god, the comparisions between them is what i loved..
will go and read the other mentioned posts nowπŸ˜†

DG you haven't read my post YET..GRRR 😑
SillyPepper thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Heya Opti!

Insightful post...Loved ur detailed analysis on each character!

Khushi, though she s god-fearing she knows not only Fortune, God also favors the brave
Anjali, She has completely surrendered herself to god, never tries to look wat s happening behind her, believes everything blindly She s living in a fool's paradise...
Arnav, This man believes he s cheated by god so in turn he does not want 2 believe god who took away his happiness...his interior s still in a molten state,like a volcano
Shyam- As u said he uses divinity for his convenience...

Loved ur comparisons πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘
stardust- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
@zainab-jee.. me bahut repect karti hu opti jee ke post ka..
no spamming this sacred postπŸ˜† *applies to u too*

Opti thumbnail
Originally posted by: current

To give the DEVIL his DueπŸ˜›...Fantastic post..πŸ‘

It was your comment that triggered this post although I wouldn't call you a devil!

Now Absolutely correct..

Religion has been integral to IPKKND...For Khushi ..devi Mayyia is her confidante..at times from than Payal...She shares everything including all she had to suffer at the hands of her LAAD governor..Devi Myyia was Privy to everthing..

That's a good point you made about Devi Maiyya being her confidante.  Yes, she is not only her god but also her best buddy.

Anjali is however more a keeper than a believer..I think although she has her faith but with her it is almost ritualistic...In fact her confidante is her brother ARNAV>..ironical..isn't it...

Yes, Anjali is more ritualistic but that does not make her less of a believer but to her God is on a higher plane. She cannot dream of making him (or her) her best buddy.  She may be very close to her brother but does she really confide in him? I'm yet to see her have a real heart-to-heart with him.  He is sensitive to her tears and reads her feelings even if she rarely voices them. 

and then there is Slimeball Shyam...where he will bend and twist and use GOD to his own purpose..even the pujas he has shared with Anjali have never been from the heart..He is a sham and that holier than thou act fools everyone  but I wonder in the future will he be able to pull it off in front of ANjali..I suspect he will ask divine intervention to convince Anjali..He will prob keep GOD as a witness to prove himself innocent.hmmm we shall see

Yes, Slimeball shyam will not hesitate to use and abuse God. Wouldnt be surprised if he really uses God as his witness to prove his 'innocence' but then he will get a fitting reply from the one above.

and then Arnav...the first faceoff in the temple where he refused GOD's power to shape lives and FLung the GOD in Khushi's face..that same Arnav has not only come a long way but me thinks he has started being more accomodating..case in point ..his forbearance during the Aarti of the TEEJ episode and then the PUja for his parents..I suspect...for him GOD will become a bigger presence as Khushi comes in to his life..

I was thinking of that challenge too. In fact it is that challenge which landed Khushi in Delhi. If he had not slurred her reputation, her parents would not have sent the two girls to their buaji's house.  If she had not left Lucknow none of what we are witnessing now would have happened.  So it appears to be Devi Maiyya's way to respond to that challenge by bringing together two people who are poles apart.  He is becoming more accomodating and Khushi is sure to change his perspective about God.    

and can I say..because of religion.we have had all the religious festivals celebrated with big fervour and that itself has given many opportunites for the leading couple to come together..

Yes, the show is full of festivals and poojas which besides catering to the trps is also shown to underline the role of divine power in the lives of the leads.

Opti thumbnail
Originally posted by: incandescent

Wow!! great post!!

The relevance of supreme power is a significant part of the show. The four characters perceive God in four different ways.

Khushi - Has tremendous faith in devi maiyya. she prays to her for strength and support but does not expect devi maiyya to do all her work for her. 

Anjali - She is a devotee and believes in performing all the elaborate rituals. She only chooses to see goodness in this world. Her perception towards the ways of the world in unrealistic. She lives in her perfect bubble. i will quote Arnav here, "di duniyadari nahin samjhtee". 

Shyam - Shyam is an over cofident fool. He believes he can get away with anything if he performs puja path. He things everyone including god can be bribed. 

Arnav - Atheist on the exterior. Agnostic on the interior. Maybe he does not pray but does not disrespect the faith of others.

Perfectly summarised.πŸ‘

The point about Shyam believing he can bribe even God is brilliant.  As far as religion goes, I guess Arnav believes in live and let live.  Just because he does not believe in God does not mean he will force that view on others but he does not like to be forced into accepting God's presence either.  His harsh reaction to Khushi's stout statement that he can do nothing without God's help is a case in point.   
current thumbnail
🀣@ Opti...🀣..the DEVIL was a moot point..er..I think it got lost in it's implication..πŸ˜›

Anjali does confide  remember when she cried out about keeping peace between Nani and him and then they had a teary session about the parents... ...but mostly the BRO sis bonding is soo strong that she does not voice it out loud..

and Yeah ARNAV turning back to GOD would be another surrender...I wonder why he was ticked off GOD in the first place ..they seriously need to show his past..

and I love the way the CV's have depicted his character...EVEN god can't be forced down his throat..

@ DG..acha aur mera post sacred nahin..πŸ˜†πŸ˜†.
Edited by current - 12 years ago