Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

Farah Khan: I think KaranJohar is........

Jem4Himesh IF-Sizzlerz
Jem4Himesh
Jem4Himesh

Posted: 04 March 2005 at 5:12am | IP Logged
Farah Khan: 'I think Karan Johar is an amazing woman's director'
MADHUREETA MUKHERJEE
http://movies.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-1040772,curpg- 4.cmshttp://movies.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-1040772,curpg- 4.cms
INDIATIMES MOVIES
http://movies.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-1040772,curpg- 4.cmshttp://movies.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-1040772,curpg- 4.cms

Making Shah Rukh Khan groove to 'C haiyya chaiyya' on top of a train was not enough for her. She went on to make the superstar leap in the air, fly backwards and plunge downwards in super-manly acts. She went on to become the King Khan's most devoted subject, a dear friend and an integral part of the SRK clique. From small beginnings to king-worthy success - choreographer-director Farah Khan has come a long way. She has no qualms in declaring, "Shah Rukh and me are karmically connected, so I don't consider him as only an 'actor' in my film."

The fact that SRK trusted a first-timer with directing his home production speaks volumes of their dosti . With a sigh of relief Farah says, "Yes, what I was most relieved about is that I didn't let down Shah Rukh with 'Main Hoon Na'. After all, it was his home production and Gauri's name was also attached to it."
She deserves a special round of applause, for it's rare that a film directed by a woman has found such BO success in a world that is known to be male-dominated. "Yeah, from what I know, I don't think a woman director has even been nominated for popular awards. So that does make me feel proud. Sure, it will be encouraging for many other established and aspiring female directors. The audiences and the industry have a prejudice and they think that women only make sad, women-centric stories. I'm glad I've broken that myth. I will not make films for man or a woman - I will make films for people."

She knows what she is talking about - even Shah Rukh Khan went on to call Farah 'a woman who can think like a man'. She muses, "Well, like I said, my films don't belong to a particular sex. My films will be very 'me'. Thinking about it...there are so many male directors who make 'woman' kinds of films - I think Karan Johar is an amazing woman's director; or, for that matter, Rituparno Ghosh, who makes a woman the protagonist in every film. In no way do I see 'Main Hoon Na' demeaning women, but you can't call it a 'chic flick' or a 'guy flick'."

Talking about women brings to mind Sushmita Sen, who was completely transformed to become the dazzling diva on-screen. With obvious disappointment, Farah says, "I don't know why my Sush wasn't nominated for 'MHN'. When I approached her for the role, I told her that she had the smallest role in the film, and I had bound scripts, so she was aware of everything right from the start. I went and told her, 'Your role might seem not so important, but I'm telling you that you'll be remembered the most'. In a way, she got her due, because post-'Main Hoon Na', she's become like a Bollywood Queen!"

'Main Hoon Na', is history now; and one can't rest on past laurels for ever. Farah knows this well - even before she starts shooting for her next, there's been a lot of speculation about it. Some say that it will be an all-out comedy - maybe it's the title, 'Happy New Year', that's providing fodder for gossip. Farah is quick with her defense: "I don't know how the media manages to pick up such news or even to talk about it. I wouldn't make an all-out comedy; however good it might be, comedy still has limited appeal. Yes, my films will have funny parts - even 'MHN' had a good dose of comedy, but that doesn't make it a 'comedy' film, you know." And what's with the out-of-the-ordinary title for the film? "Well, it's a happy title, unlike other depressing ones that are the order of the day."

How does Farah react to a full-page advertisement issued by a moviegoer in a certain daily, which glorified Sanjay Leela Bhansali's 'Black', and ran down many other films, one of which was 'Main Hoon Na'? Irately she responds, "I think we've given him (the advertiser) too much importance and made an issue out of it. I don't think we need to waste our breath talking about it."

Here's to a director who knows what is really important!

http://movies.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-1040772,curpg- 4.cms

Edited by jem1299 - 04 March 2005 at 5:12am

Khushalay Goldie
Khushalay
Khushalay

Posted: 04 March 2005 at 11:53am | IP Logged

thanX for the article.

-Amisha- Goldie
-Amisha-
-Amisha-

Posted: 04 March 2005 at 12:04pm | IP Logged
Thanks for the article jem. I agree with Farah...Karan Johar always gives more importance to the herione.
sana_usa Senior Member
sana_usa
sana_usa

Posted: 04 March 2005 at 6:04pm | IP Logged
thanx for a great article!!Smile
  • Page 1 of 1

Go to top