Selina IF-Sizzlerz
Selina
Selina

Posted: 04 March 2005 at 12:04am | IP Logged
Is Meera's cry a mere publicity stunt?
   By: Mayank Shekhar
   March 4, 2005

In the midst of controversy: Meera
Pakistan's information minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmad says you are "playing with the media for publicity." Comment.
You should first tell me, or ask the minister how we could gain from this sort of publicity? The film will never get a release in Pakistan in any case.

People will watch it there for free. Why would somebody like me who is a simple, good girl wish such negative publicity upon herself?

Your producer Mahesh Bhatt has been known to use the media in similar ways to promote his films. This makes the publicity-stunt suspicion stronger.
This is the first time I am working in India. I don't know anything about experiences others may have had with Mr Bhatt. As far as I am concerned, he likes me very much and he's been a mentor and guru to me. I respect him a lot, and he loves the people of Pakistan. In fact, by putting together this Indo-Pak production he has created history of sorts.

Having read stories about your threats, how is it that we still specifically don't know who exactly is threatening you?
When the time comes, I shall reveal all. I am not fighting against them. And they haven't misbehaved with me either. Their only problem is that I have kissed a Hindu boy in the film. But they're saying so even without having seen the film.

Have you sent a written request for police protection in Pakistan?
I have not sent a written request yet. I'll plan and then do it.

Your father said some people came to your house. Why is that not serious enough to file a police complaint?
My parents don't want to kick up a row. Those people have talked to my mother and father very decently. My parents have asked them to see the film, after which we don't have a problem talking to them across the table.

So you know these people, they're a threat to your life, but you want to protect their identity?
Yes, I know them, and my family knows them too. These maulvis are a large group and are close to us. It is just that I don't want to create a hungama. What is ironical is that you're accusing me of cooking up a publicity stunt.

If I want to make a huge issue out of this, I have recordings in my possession that can create ruckus in Pakistan. I am a star to the people of Pakistan and they love me a lot.

Hence, they have a right to question me because they only care for my well being in India.

What next? Have you gotten more film offers, or do you plan to return to Pakistan?
I have been offered a lot of roles. I am buying a house here and plan to work out of India. But Pakistan is my home. Eventually, you'll see me make a future in this country like Adnan Sami

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top