Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ShivangBuch thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Well as you can read, Karna immediately accepted that. And I think serial has explained it well. Shakuni didn't want mismatch of opinions within and he also wanted Pandavas to face Bhishma emotionally. He wanted to make full use of Bhishma's bondage of Oath& loyalty and didn't want to let him free by sitting behind.
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
I have a new question about Draupadi.

When it was decided that she should marry all the 5 Pandavas, a few precedents supporting polyandry were cited in that context.  Does anyone recall who they were, and what the background stories were regarding them?

Another question:

When Pandu died, why didn't Satyavati simply suggest to Bheeshma that Dhritarashtra be bypassed in favor of Bahlika/Somadatta/Bhurishrava?
Edited by .Vrish. - 12 years ago
Vibhishna thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

I have a new question about Draupadi.

When it was decided that she should marry all the 5 Pandavas, a few precedents supporting polyandry were cited in that context.  Does anyone recall who they were, and what the background stories were regarding them?

Another question:

When Pandu died, why didn't Satyavati simply suggest to Bheeshma that Dhritarashtra be bypassed in favor of Bahlika/Somadatta/Bhurishrava?

The only info I recall (for Draupadi's marriage to all 5 Pandavas) was Yudhishtra stating the cases of Jatila and Pracheti. Jatila (or Jatila Gautami) was supposed to be wed to all 7 Saptarishis and Pracheti was Hiranya's sister married to 10 brothers. There may have been other instances in all our legends but as the supporting claims given, Yudhistra was said to have spoken of these two women.

As for the supporting Shantanu's nephews, probably Satyavati had her hopes on Dridrastra's 100 sons.
Vr15h thumbnail
Moved to MM forum from DBSK
Vr15h thumbnail
Recalling how DBSK had no Karna in their Mahabharata track inspired a thought experiment.

While doing any serial, there is the cast, and for something like this, the cast would be huge.  So if one wanted to do the story w/ the absolute minumum #characters, who do you think has to be in it?

For starters, I'd say
  • Pandavas
  • Draupadi
  • Duryodhan
Now, others can keep adding to the cast list on who absolutely has to be there, for there to be a story.
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Recalling how DBSK had no Karna in their Mahabharata track inspired a thought experiment.

While doing any serial, there is the cast, and for something like this, the cast would be huge.  So if one wanted to do the story w/ the absolute minumum #characters, who do you think has to be in it?

For starters, I'd say
  • Pandavas
  • Draupadi
  • Duryodhan
Now, others can keep adding to the cast list on who absolutely has to be there, for there to be a story.

I can better you Vrish. 👍🏼 

I'd just have Vyasa writing the MB while a background voice narrates the whole story in one long insipid monologue. 😆

Obviously, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to guess how the serial would fare , but as a bonus we wouldn't have Aamods, Latas, Doubting Thomases and Servile Sudamas.

As an additional bonus if the serial ever got a look-in @ I-F, I would be the sole moderator, viewbie, coolbie, cool-view-everything else- bie😆
Vr15h thumbnail
You joke, but in both the Ramayan serials, that's precisely what Valmiki did after Kush & Luv were re-united w/ Rama - they just showed Valmiki narrating how Rama made all his sons and nephews kings b4 moving to the part of Durvasa & Lakshman.  (Never mind that that Valmiki too was too lazy to narrate Bharat's conquest of Gandhara, or Rama-Lakshman's conquest of Karupadha desh - much less show it.)

The advantage of such a serial is that they could put in on radio  Or for a podcast, just have a still photo of Vyasa writing (like the album covers that some audio CDs display if you try playing them on your PC under Windows Media Player) while Vyasa just reads everything.
varaali thumbnail

Another question:

Bahalika had been adopted into his maternal uncle's family. Hence he was no longer a Kuru Vanshi. In so far as even if there was one legit Kuru heir living (in this case there were 105), the kingdom could not automatically be handed over to the Bahalikas.

At the time of Pandu's death, the 100 Kauravas and the 5 Pandavas were very much alive. Hence they would have the first claim over the throne. In fact Yudhishthira, being the eldest son of the last king on the throne,  would have had unquestioned right over the kingship.

The situation was more tricky in the previous generation when after  both Chitrangada and Vichitraveerya's death, there was actually no direct heir to the throne living. A question of the Kuru dynasty coming to an end would have loomed large but rather than allow Hastinapur to be merged with some other kingdom (for e.g the Bahalikas), Satyavati chose to continue the lineage thru her genes.

Question to you : Is it mentioned anywhere in the MB the Dritarashtra was crowned as the king after Pandu's death? 
Edited by varaali - 12 years ago
Vr15h thumbnail
Turns out to be a fantastic question - I could find nothing in the MB that explicitly states that Dhritarashtra was crowned - either when Pandu went into exile, or later.  But if he wasn't, on what basis did Bheeshma act on his allegiance towards him, rather than Yudhisthir?  And also, when Yudhisthir came of age, shouldn't he have automatically become king itself, instead of Yuvraj?  Bheeshma could have been the interim ruler b/w Pandu and Yudhisthir, in such a case?

As an aside, reading about Pandu's statements after he abdicated, he resolved to live exactly like Sudama was depicted as living in the serial - begging in 10 homes, not visiting any home twice, etc.  If DBSK was that fascinated w/ begging, they could have had Ram Bahadur play Pandu, and entertained us w/ several weeks of him. 😈
varaali thumbnail
Precisely. That was what I too was wondering. But let's analyze the situation a little further.

Pandu abdicated the throne. Which means Yudhishthira would also have lost all rights to the throne had a proper ruler succeeded  Pandu. Had Dritarashtra been perfectly able bodied and suceeded the throne after Pandu's abdication, his son, Duryodhan, would have been  the natural heir. (Of course, one could argue that had Dritarashtra been perfectly fine, Pandu would not have been the king in the first place)

But as it turned out, after Pandu's abdication, there was no proper king crowned in Hastinapur (Dritarashtra having been debarred because of his blindness). So neither Duryodhan nor Yudhishthira had any automatic claim over the kingship and hence when Bhishma was mulling over who to choose (b/w Yudhishthira and Bhima) each felt he had as equal a claim as the other.

Edited by varaali - 12 years ago