Balika Vadhu

Right to Abortion - Page 3

achiever thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 12 years ago
Its happening jst as predicted in the show.. except tht DS doesnt support G and her heir.. at least for now..

well, the issue of abortion i believe is as controversial as the issue of death penalty.. wer both r official and legal 'murders" the morality behind those decisions is highly debatable..

bt becoz here its concerning a baby.. and unborn.. the former issue is much more sensitive.. for tht I simply believe..

No one has right to abort an unborn if its conceived naturally without planning..  its no fault of the conceived baby and it shud not b denied entry into this world.. wether it survives or not is another issue.. many times miracle happens u never know wats in its fate.. and one is not God.. neither the doctors nor the parents to take a decision to end a being's life whose continuancy of life simply depends on thr decision ..  If parents/parent didnt plan while conceiving.. thy had thr share of fun/living life.. accepted the responsibility of the outcome of their act while doing so clearly aware, thn y shud thy shy away from thr responsibilites as parents/parent..  In cases of rape, i wish our society was more acceptable of the victim and the baby.. it can b put for adoption and can help  a childless couple..

"The value of life of conceived child is highly undervalued and is equal to being worthless if aborted"  Ironically, v even spend thousands and crores to save jst one! 

In case of a death sentence, at least the verdict is on basis of the anti-social activities.. the person had lived a life.. bt an unborn child is innocent, hasnt even been into this world, and for its no fault its given death sentence jst for all selfish reasons of parents who either cant afford it, or its inconvenient, or jst dont want to take up the responsibility, or due to social pressure... giving the reasons of being practical is ridiculous.. wat if ur own mother had thot the same abt u?... so who r thy to decide when God Himself chose its fate..  u r not deciding on buying a car or a house, u r talking abt a bringing a live animate being in this world.. who wud laugh, talk, cry, feel jst as u do..

With G-J, thy had all thr fun and conceived this child without planning.. now y thy want to plan thr life now.. If G wasnt ready thn y she didnt use the protection in the 1st place.. for sake of her career, their financial adversity, thr illegal and socially unacceptable marital status, thy cant punish the unborn.. 
Edited by achiever - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
This content was originally posted by: woman11

The issue of abortion has been the bone of contention for many religious, ethical, legal and medical debate. I have often opposed the pro-life groups in US who argue against abortion at any cost. Unlike them, I support abortion, but I also believe abortion is right only under certain conditions. I believe a woman has a right to abort:

1. If the conception is the result of a rape
2. If the conception can potentially harm the health of the mother
3. If the unborn child is detected with some congenital deformity and its parents are not ready to bring up such a child that requires immense patience and investment of resources
4. If a conception occurs due to lack to access to contraceptive measures, lack of proper information (eg teenage pregnancy), restrictions on the woman to use contraceptives due to familial or cultural reasons, and if the woman has no say on her reproductive decisions due to an immensely patriarchal set up.

However, that's my point of view. I would love to hear yours. What are your views about abortion? Do you find it wrong under any circumstance? Do you support abortion and a woman's right to her body under any circumstances? What do you think?

If you are in the US, the politics of abortion has shifted way, way to the pro-choice side.  I happen to be pro-choice myself, except that I believe in mandatory abortions in cases of rape, incest and life of a woman, but I also believe that a husband should have the right to veto an abortion.  However, in the US, the only sort of abortion that is banned is Intact dilation and extraction, a.k.a. partial birth abortions; other than that, abortions @ any stage of a pregnancy is legal.  In India, from what I understand, it's illegal after the first trimester.

However, in the US, NOW, NARAL and other 'pro-choice' groups are not just actively pro-abortion, but even opposed to husbands having any rights in the matter.  That is where the law is as well, as per Roe v Wade.  Therefore, even though I'm pro-choice (and actually support abortion in cases of wedlock pregnancies, which these organizations have absolutely no issues w/), I happen to oppose pro-choice groups in the US, despite being on principle pro-choice myself, due to their misandric stances - often more implicit than otherwise.

Somehow, the maroon parts of your statement put you squarely on the pro-life side - people who have your stance on abortion are in the pro-life camp, not the pro-choice.  It therefore seems to contradict your green statement above, even incorporating the but that follows.

On Gauri, I support her right to an abortion IFF Jagya too wants it that way.  If both Gauri & Jagya are in favor of it, I don't think it's anybody else's business to tell them to keep it.  However, if Jagya doesn't want it, as is evident, then I don't think that Gauri has that right - not b'cos of the other qualifying reasons you mentioned.
Edited by .Vrish. - 12 years ago
sreevask thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

G marries without planning(b4 taking a decision,she has no friends to discuss,nor wd she discuss with bade papa,her parents etc,) ... conceives without planning ( even after that also , as soon as the regular menstrual period is missed,she could have checked with HCG  strip test na?)

All because of G's mad fad about the stupid J,who actually had 2 clear all issues with A n then also had 2 take the responsibility of family planning. 
Banjaaran25 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

excellent post woman11!πŸ‘

but what i find surprising whenever i read about abortion, or child birth and all is that why it is always woman's or say mother's right to choose.
what about the father.
her body, her life her choice.. fair enough..
but shouldn't a father have a say. just because nature made a woman capable of giving birth should the father be denied his rights when he gives up half his genes to the child. if he father is loving, caring and capable he too has equal rights on the child born or unborn.

now about the right to abort.
completely agree about rape, health of mother, congenital disease.
but i think it is harsh to say if the parents dont take precautions and are selfish idiots they should take up the responsibilty of the unborn and give birth.
NO! a child should not come to this world as a punishment. He/she is should be a wonderful gift of God. Every child has a right to be accepted with open arms and love. not with regret, bitterness and pain. A loving, caring and stable family is the right of the child. if the parents are incapable of providing the same then they should wait for the time when they can provide that.

about giving up the child for adoption.
adoption is a big step. i personally salute those who adopt a child and love him/her as their own. i feel bad for those who give up their child and live with regret for whole life.
adoption is a courageous step which needs heart. lets not judge those who are not that brave.

finally about Right to Abortion.
it is the Right of the Mother and the Father to decide if they are capable of providing love, care and support to the child.
A child is a God gift. Not a punishment. bring him/her here to the earth if one will love, respect and protect the child.

bips thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 8
To abort or not, is there any debate that is so hotly contested (except perhaps euthanasia)

My own personal view is that a woman's body is her own. Complete ownership. Nobody, not even her husband has a right to dictate anything about her body. She is not a vessel for child birth. Hence, it should be completely her choice, her decision whether to bring a child in this world or not.

I am a believer in 'to each is own' .. I don't think less of gauri if she decides to abort, i don't think more of her if she decides to give birth. Her choice, nothing to do with me.

I honestly don't think that any decision is wrong. As long as no one forces their idea of abortion on me, i don't feel the need to force my idea of abortion/ birth on anyone else. And neither do I judge other women for whatever their decision.

As for motherhood being the most beautiful feeling in the world, and how no woman is complete without becoming a mother etc etc . That is true for most people but not all. There are a lot of women who just don't want children - not now, not ever. It doesn't make them evil, it doesn't make them 'bad'. you can't force women to "feel" how you think they should feel.

And if a women is contemplating an abortion, it means she is not ready for the responsibility of a child. More than financial and physical, raising children is an emotional commitment. If she is not ready to make it then can you truly hope that a child will have a positive loving world ? And if you force a woman (emotionally or under threats of divorce) to have a child, does that not mean saying to a woman that your only function is to bear a child. You have no freedom, no thought, no say in this this.

Are the men shortchanged ? Yes, of course!. They should have a say in the life of their child. But their say is just about convincing the woman of their point of view. No more no less. They cannot force their decisions on a woman.
It is not their body so they do not get the right to say what to do about it. Sadly, it is one area where what they want comes secondary. But of course in reality, men almost always get their way - from sweet talking to threats about divorce and other emotional pressure.
doyelpakhi thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
What about the rights of a father?!!

Doesn't a father have any right over his child? Doesn't a father take care of a child? Infact, a man can take bring up a child without a mother... mother's presence is essential in the first 4-5 months - once a baby starts having food other than breast milk,  a man can take care of a child like a mother.

We all criticize a man or man's family when a woman is forced to have baby against her will or despite her ill-health. But how can a woman  take away the right from her husband/partner from being a father, specially if she has willingly consummated with her partner, has been callous for not taking enough protection and her health is absolutely fine?!

Personally I am against abortion unless there are issues like woman11 has mentioned. Otherwise, if a woman gets pregnant, no one should force her to abort the child as she has full right over it. Similarly, a woman can't deny a man from his child just because her career will be at stake. If one has to think about career and responsibility, both partners should be extremely careful in the conjugal life and plan well beforehand.  Most importantly, both partners should think similarly where having children are concerned - a man should not force a woman of having/not having a child and at the same time, a woman can't deny a man from being a father.

Just because woman is giving birth does not solve the issue - a man has equal contribution in the birth of a child.

So, in this case, Gauri, just for her own selfish reason, can't deny Jagya from having his child IMO. Of course, Gauri can clarify it that after delivery, it's jagya who has to take more responsibility of the child or they together can plan to take help of G' parents or paid caretakers.
Edited by doyelpakhi - 12 years ago
hooked thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: nimmi_rra

a child should not come to this world as a punishment. He/she is should be a wonderful gift of God. Every child has a right to be accepted with open arms and love. not with regret, bitterness and pain. A loving, caring and stable family is the right of the child. if the parents are incapable of providing the same then they should wait for the time when they can provide that.

A child is a God gift. Not a punishment. bring him/her here to the earth if one will love, respect and protect the child.

Exactly my point ! Children are precious and should be welcomed with open arms like a long awaited treasure. They should not be a born as a burden.

about giving up the child for adoption.
adoption is a big step. i personally salute those who adopt a child and love him/her as their own. i feel bad for those who give up their child and live with regret for whole life.
adoption is a courageous step which needs heart. lets not judge those who are not that brave.

I have adopted my child. I have a lot of sympathy for the mom who had to take this decision - according to the background given to us - she got widowed when she was in her 5th month and already had 2 kids and had no means to support the third one. 
Our kid was given up by her before she delivered him but even after that the kid could not be placed with any loving family coz the court grants her upto 4 months to change her mind and come back and claim him. He was born severely underweight with Asthma and even at 6 months was just 5kgs when we got him.

Today he is a wonderful happy healthy kid very talkitive, very precocious and super adorable  - in one the top 3 schools of Mumbai and all our friends and family are delighted to see what a wonderul person he is becoming. 

That said - eventually he will reach a stage when he will want to trace his family and see if he can find them and maybe help them. He will wonder whether at any point we loved him less and would his own mother have loved him more. Net Net - he will not be always at peace with himself and will always wonder why me ? No matter how much I tell him about Krishna and KungFu PAnda and Superman and Mowgli and the ICE AGE baby - all of whom grew up with plenty of love in other families - his heart will yearn for his own mother.

And I wonder - that birth mother - how often must she yearn for him and wonder if he is getting loved and whether his new family is sensitive or harsh.

I am glad she put him up for adoption - she has made my life complete - that said - it is not for everyone to decide to do so.
Edited by hooked - 12 years ago
doyelpakhi thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
@ hooked - you have done a wonderful job by adopting the kid!

Don't worry - he will never question your love and devotion. Yes, he might try to trace his original parents but it doesn't mean there will be any doubts regarding you.

Being a confident, sensible person he will know how to deal with the situation. :)
Edited by doyelpakhi - 12 years ago
Banjaaran25 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

@hooked..

it really warmed my heart to read your post. i said earlier i would say again..
i personally salute those who adopt a child and love him/her as their own.
it takes heart. a big and loving and yes a brave heart.

the child is YOUR'S. he is blessed to have two mothers. one who loved him enough to let go. Other who loves him now and forever. he may want to know about his birth mother but that wont and shouldn't in any way make him question your love for him. A child can sense who loves and cares for him much better than any adult.
so be happy and i wish you lots of happiness and luck..

i am glad i got to know you.😊
sreevask thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: asru

Guys, can someone please tell me the actual LAW of abortion? I'm not much aware of this law. As per my idea, from the time of conception whenever the mom wud-be tries to get aborted it  is illegal ( in India). But again, as i told u, i'm not sure about itπŸ˜›.If someone has a complete knowledge on this law, please share...when would the Abortion be declared as illegal by the Law?