Page 4 of 6

Page 1 Page 3
Page   of 6
Page 5 Page 6

canuck-umz

IF-Rockerz

canuck-umz

Posted: 06 October 2011 at 11:30pm | IP Logged
I don't think she is uneducated, it's just her accent, most of the people in the show apart from Arnav, Akash and Payal speak in a dialect which may be specific to the region they originally hail from (correct me if I am wrong I don't know much about India) so I think when she speaks in English that same dialect transfers to it. Whenever Arnav and Lavanya speak in English Khushi does understand everything they are saying.

Sara (Rafeek) is right, Khushi did ask to use a laptop but to make things difficult for her Arnav sent a typewriter. She worked in an office so she had to deal with letters plus that thing she typed out for Arnav and obviously all those things were in written in English.

Let's assume that she did not go to school. If she didn't then that is not her fault. Her family situation isn't that great, she comes from a low income family so she probably had to help out at the house which left no time for school. I see nothing wrong with the way she has been portrayed because she is well grounded, holds strong morals and beliefs, speaks her mind and is very smart and hardworking and we have Lavanya and Anjali right there as comparison, are Lavanya and Anjali any better when you really think about it?

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Saraa.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Khushi's English (Page 4)" in Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

moon_mine

IF-Rockerz

moon_mine

Posted: 06 October 2011 at 11:34pm | IP Logged
it's nthng of that...they dunno wanna down nyone!!!!
it's jst that she is nt much accustomed to the english culture!!!!!

Saraa.

reima

reima

Posted: 06 October 2011 at 11:53pm | IP Logged
I wish this could be put in the right perspective- those who are educated in the Hindi medium do have issues with pronunciation- and I cannot see that as an issue- look how those who have English as a second language pronounce elsewhere. And the thing about computers- again in India, though there are computers, it is not such as essential resource in teaching and learning in every school or university- you just have to visit universities to see how many students have to wait in queue to use computers and not every family has computers at home, Please do not judge without considering the context. It is perfectly fine for individuals not to be able to use it- though they do show her being able to use it once she knows how.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

ishaparideepi04Kamalika..

Nrp77

Nrp77

Posted: 07 October 2011 at 12:07am | IP Logged

My whole point of saying I wish Khushi was better educated is that it would have been nice to see her on a level playing field w/ her counterpart, Arnav.  Women are brilliant and we have grad level degrees from top universities and can surpass our male counterparts on many levels.  Personally, it would have been nice to have a character who exuded this.   Her being 'sanskari' is great, but a career woman who doesn't have to work in some household as a 'trainer' would have been even better.  Oh well that's just how I feel...

I was also reading some other comments and I would definitely like to add that any person who was raised in the states knows it is easy enough to tell if someone has been educated here their entire lives, just by their grammar alone.  Poor grammar usually indicates their lack of education or a possibility of the person not being educated in the U.S. for as long as they claim.  Just an interesting observation!!!  Shocked

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

deepi04incandescent

Saraa.

IF-Sizzlerz

Saraa.

Posted: 07 October 2011 at 12:08am | IP Logged
Originally posted by canuck-umz

I don't think she is uneducated, it's just her accent, most of the people in the show apart from Arnav, Akash and Payal speak in a dialect which may be specific to the region they originally hail from (correct me if I am wrong I don't know much about India) so I think when she speaks in English that same dialect transfers to it. Whenever Arnav and Lavanya speak in English Khushi does understand everything they are saying.

Sara (Rafeek) is right, Khushi did ask to use a laptop but to make things difficult for her Arnav sent a typewriter. She worked in an office so she had to deal with letters plus that thing she typed out for Arnav and obviously all those things were in written in English.

Let's assume that she did not go to school. If she didn't then that is not her fault. Her family situation isn't that great, she comes from a low income family so she probably had to help out at the house which left no time for school. I see nothing wrong with the way she has been portrayed because she is well grounded, holds strong morals and beliefs, speaks her mind and is very smart and hardworking and we have Lavanya and Anjali right there as comparison, are Lavanya and Anjali any better when you really think about it?

thanks for agreeing,

okay guys if she dont know how to speak english then how did she work on office how did she did arnav work he gave her so mcuh work hwo did she complete it and i remember when Arnav was gaing her some work i dont remeber what but she recorded what he said and then she type it so if she didnt know english then how did she type it and also we can make english a big thing i mean it is just a lanuage like others i dont know frech or roman so am i uneducated

asmi4you

Goldie

asmi4you

Posted: 07 October 2011 at 12:16am | IP Logged
may be her accent is vernacularSmile
that does not make her uneducated Confused
my father is a doctor knows english very well but his accent has a UP touch so what.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Kamalika..Saraa.

incandescent

IF-Sizzlerz

incandescent

Posted: 07 October 2011 at 1:40am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Nrp77

My whole point of saying I wish Khushi was better educated is that it would have been nice to see her on a level playing field w/ her counterpart, Arnav.  Women are brilliant and we have grad level degrees from top universities and can surpass our male counterparts on many levels.  Personally, it would have been nice to have a character who exuded this.   Her being 'sanskari' is great, but a career woman who doesn't have to work in some household as a 'trainer' would have been even better.  Oh well that's just how I feel...

I was also reading some other comments and I would definitely like to add that any person who was raised in the states knows it is easy enough to tell if someone has been educated here their entire lives, just by their grammar alone.  Poor grammar usually indicates their lack of education or a possibility of the person not being educated in the U.S. for as long as they claim.  Just an interesting observation!!!  Shocked

I think your missing the point of this whole show. It is suppose to be a love story between two people who belong to different social backgrounds. There has to be a difference between their lifestyle, speaking, clothing, etiquettes etc. 

I don't know which country you are from but if you live in India you should be able to understand the difference.

But it's not just in India, all over the world people who speak English as their second language have different accents. Even the people whi speak English as their first language speak differently.  

deepi04

Nrp77

Nrp77

Posted: 07 October 2011 at 2:18am | IP Logged
Originally posted by incandescent

Originally posted by Nrp77

I think your missing the point of this whole show. It is suppose to be a love story between two people who belong to different social backgrounds. There has to be a difference between their lifestyle, speaking, clothing, etiquettes etc. 

I don't know which country you are from but if you live in India you should be able to understand the difference.

But it's not just in India, all over the world people who speak English as their second language have different accents. Even the people whi speak English as their first language speak differently.  

I get the point of this show, I just think you're missing my point.  I am not talking about different accents or pronounciations.  My parents were raised in India and didn't come to America until they were in college, so they still have a slight accent... Having an accent doesn't make someone any more/less educated than someone without.  I'm talking about the fact that she can come from a lower-middle class family and still acheive greatness.  She can have a career and not have to do grunt work for people like the Raizadas.  I'm just saying that would have been nice to see.  It's an opinion based forum here and that's just my opinion.   Accents are fine, it's grammar that can gauge the level of education.

And no I do not live in India, but I have been raised in the 'melting-pot' of the world so I am surrounded by people who speak differently, dress differently, and come from different social/cultural backgrounds.  I'm also surrounded by too many Liberals, but that's a different subject all together...hahaa LOL

Not sure if anyone else agrees, but I think Khushi is definitely due for a new hairstyle.  Take the hair down every other episode or at least remove that hideous pom-pom looking thing hanging from her head.  Confused

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.