The Vampire Diaries

Mystic Musings || Forget Me. Not.

Anhdara13 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 12 years ago

Mystic Musings
S3E03: The End Of An Affair

A very, very long time ago, Bhav (sourpuss) and I started a little thing where we analysed the episodes of our favourite show. Because real life is horrid, we never completed the analysis for all the episodes.

Now, I'm back with my newest Musings. Unfortunately, Bhav's workload is such that she will not be joining me, but I hope you enjoy this anyway!

[title gif taken from tumblr.]

Overview

Whoa. WHOA. I did NOT see that one coming. StefanKlaus, friends in his Ripper days? Rebekah - an Original? Klaus compelling Stefan? Ok, no, that one I'm not so surprised with.

Still - this will change the playing field. Especially now that the necklace comes into play. How is Stefan going to hide this from Klaus and Rebekah, knowing what he does about them now?

This storyline is one I'm definitely going to enjoy.

Poor Caroline always gets the short end of the stick. But I've got to say - Carol Lockwood and Sheriff Forbes are the moms I would want if I were ever turned into a supernatural creature. Willing to kill to protect their kid. You go, moms!

Meant To Be? StefanElena

I personally think that the person most broken by Stefan's decision is Stefan himself. He may now remember Rebekah and Klaus, and may even care for them (as shown in the flashbacks), but he undoubtedly loves Elena. He has done everything he's done till now to keep Elena, Damon and his friends in MF safe. And no matter what he does here out, no matter what he says, pushing Elena away, making her hate him (though I doubt she's really capable of hating him) is the hardest thing he's had to do. And he broke his own heart to keep Elena safe. He knows that Damon will take care of her, take care of MF in his absence. So he will keep his end of the deal with Klaus to keep Klaus (and now Rebekah) away from MF, and finding out that Elena isn't dead.

The scene in the closet is just - I love that they can communicate without saying anything. You can see that a part of Stefan is happy, is glad to see Elena - because he's missed her, and he loves her, the same way you can see Elena is so happy to see Stefan alive, even after finding out what he's capable of, how many people he's tortured and killed. In that moment, she's forgotten Klaus is just outside, and he's able to breathe. One silent glance - and they're reassured of their love for each other. Even if Stefan breaks her heart at the end, that glance will remind her that Stefan's still there. Her Stefan is still there somewhere, and she just has to be patient, and come up with a plan that doesn't involve going head to head with Klaus because that's just plain insane.

Can I say that I'm enjoying the KlausStefan bromance though? The flashbacks show a vulnerability to Klaus I wasn't expecting. He 'killed' his family because they saw him as an abomination, he resented them for it. He liked Stefan because Stefan didn't care. Stefan liked him despite his 'freak' nature. As much as I want our Stefan back, these moments are definitely fun to watch.

Three Points | TylerCaroline(Matt)

It feels like they're basically rehashing MattCaroline scenes - Tyler picking Caroline up after helping her from her dad, and then when she stops him from leaving and he cuddles with her in her bed? Didn't Matt do that in season one? (and in my very biased opinion, MC did it better. *pause I shall try to remain unbiased. But at the time, Matt and Caroline weren't even really friends and he saved her. He saved her from her self-destructive behaviour, stayed with her - and yeah, completely freaked out the following day but they were so adorable and bring back my MC ok?)

It's well-known that I am a staunch Matt/Caroline supporter, but I love that Tyler is there for Caroline. The Tyler/Caroline friendship has been something I've adored since season one, and even if I don't like them as a romantic couple, I can admit that the fact that he's been saving Caroline helps make up for him not helping her from the wolf pack last season. Somewhat. (I hold grudges ok. Against everyone.)

Seems like they're (unconsciously maybe?) comparing Tyler and Matt. Tyler saved Caroline from an external force - Matt's saved her from herself, in a way. I miss Matt and Caroline together. I don't want this to turn into a contrived triangle - I'd much rather have preferred a platonic Tyler/Caroline relationship if only to have one functional male-female friendship where romantic feelings were not involved. TV shows seem unable to do that anymore.

The Originals.

Rebekah - I'm holding out on my opinions yet. I think she'd be intriguing to watch. How is she going to go about reacting to Klaus after he stabbed her in the 20s? How's she going to react to this Stefan who is so completely Elena's even now? She's definitely not going to like it.

Stefan in the flashbacks? SWAGGER. The trio made a nice set of psychopathic vampires on a murder rampage. I'm terrified for what this means for Stefan and Elena as a couple, but Stefan's getting such a juicy (heh, get it? Juicy? 'cos of the blood? *crickets yeah ok, nevermind.) storyline so I'm ok.

I loved his worry at the necklace. The backstory for Elena's necklace? Oh. Em. Gee. Did not see that coming, but fantastic! He's protecting Elena. He's always protecting Elena.

The Original Witch: Bennett family please? Whoever she is, from the Bennett family! Bonnie needs her screentime, and we need to meet her family. She is not a plot device to be used at your convenience, writers! She's more than just her magic. [and since my Morgana storyline will never happen, this is my preference over who the witch should be.]

Famous Last Words

Just what is Katherine up to? Is she looking out for Stefan because she 'loves him'? I'm more inclined to think she has an agenda - but I am glad she's back! Now we know what she's been up to - stalking Stefan (as per usual). She knew Stefan and Klaus were friends - never told anyone, and she should have known Klaus would come back for Stefan. So what is her angle?

And Klaus - I'm not entirely sure I hate him. I don't think I ever did. He was entertaining in the beginning - evil, psychotic, but entertaining. And now? He's such a psychotic vampire because he was alienated from his family - or at least, that's what it seems like. The bromance with Stefan? The fact that he seems to actually care for his sister (at least in the flashbacks)? They hint at something more.

And just who is he running from?
Edited by Anhdara13 - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

anwaya thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Hey rads liked it!

n yeah i can say clearly tht this epi was by far the best epi in S3! or may be from all seasons!

so many shocks!

b yes i like thr trio very much, being a SE fan i dnt hate rebekah, she loved stefan! n i dnt think she will turn negative i think she will help stefan go back to elena! may be may e not!

only the writters knws! 

n yeah i was at one hand was enjoying the yesterdays stefan n one hand was hating him for bring cruel! n then yet again when SE scn happened i adored him!

i just wnt all of then to cum to MF, so bonnie can be in action n yeah the original witch has to be bennette

P.S: how cum all the witches end up being black? 
Anhdara13 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
thanks Anj.

idk I'm still wondering on the witches thing. I think it's because the rest of the show doesn't have any black people. :| 

also, I just wanted to post this because I only just found it on tumblr.

could they be anymore perfect?