Selina
Selina

Posted: 02 March 2005 at 11:05pm | IP Logged
 I need a break: Bhansali
   By: Upala KBR
   March 2, 2005

Directorial genius:
Sanjay Leela Bhansali
Sanjay Leela Bhansali is currently basking in the warmth of Black's success.

But speculations about his next film are not letting him "chill in peace", he says. It's heard that he has finalised the cast and subject of his next film already.

Prod him and he grumbles, "That's not true. After making a film like Black for the last two years and working on it for 20 hours everyday, I now need a break for a few months. It's been a challenging film to make and I'm exhausted."

In fact, Bhansali has just come back from a visit to his doctor. "I have been unwell and completely stressed out. Now, with the film's release and commercial success, I want to just chill out, enjoy myself, read, watch movies and just do nothing."

Bhansali is very satisfied with the response Black has garnered. The film, he says, has been a hit all over India, with people giving it a standing ovation at the end.

There are rumours that he has promised lots of actresses films, including one to Aishwarya Rai and one to Rani Mukerji. "I don't know who is spreading these rumours. I don't operate like that neither do I play such games.

It all adds to unnecessary confusion and I am not such a powerful person to play around with anybody. I don't know how these rumours originated. If I make a subject where I need Rani, I will definitely take her. She's a great actress and I love her performance."

He is also supposed to launch Rishi and Neetu Kapoor's son Ranbir for his next. "It's wrong, irritating and pressuring to make assumptions. Someone asked me recently if I was making Saraswati Chandra with Sikander (Anupam and Kirron Kher's son) and Sonam (Anil Kapoor's daughter). This is definitely not true!

Sonam came crying to me and asked me. This was a film I had talked about a long time ago and spoken about it in an interview recently. The next thing I know, do aur do paanch karke I am making a film on it. I am not answerable to anybody."

Another rumour he finds baffling is that Mira Nair and him are supposed to make a film together. "I have never spoken to her or met her, so how can I make a film with her?" he frowns.

There are expectations that Black deserves to go to the awards next year. He smiles, "The quality of the film, the technicians, the way the film has been shot have all been on par with international standards," he reflects.

So is his next going to be a love story, a thriller or something else? "It's too early for me to make a decision now. I haven't thought of any subject or story. When I finalise my cast and subject, I will make an announcement.

The only subject that is ready is Bajirao Mastani but that was because I was to make it this year. But I don't know whether I will make it or not. As of now, I'd just like to enjoy my time alone after Black," Bhansali says.

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top