Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Isha: The Girl From Kisna

samir_soni Goldie
samir_soni
samir_soni

Posted: 02 March 2005 at 2:16am | IP Logged
"Who wouldn't want to do a Chopra film?"

By IndiaFM News Bureau

Born in Ahemdabad, brought up in places like Delhi, Vrindavan, Bangalore and Kerala Isha has had a traveler's life from the day of her birth. This voyager recently made a halt in Bollywood for Subhash Ghai's Kisna. Here in an exclusive with IndiaFM the 'dancing queen' of generation next speaks about her brush with Bollywood and her plans ahead.

How do you look back at Kisna as an experience?
I think the two best things that have happened in my life have happened by chance; one of them was when I started dancing and the other when I started movies. The experience was fantastic; I got to work with one of the legendary showman, Mr. Ghai and also train under him for a year.

Post Kisna, has Isha changed or people around her changed?
Well, definitely Isha hasn't changed. After the movie I am back in Kerala with my parents, practicing so to a large extent I don't think people have changed either. Five days after the release of Kisna I was performing on the streets for Kala Ghoda festival and if they ask me to do that next year too, I wouldn't say no

Are you looking at acting as a full-fledged career?
I am hoping to walk the tight rope I want to do both. I want to dance and I want to act and I think both are possible because the Hindi movie industry is largely a musical medium. All of our greatest stars take for example Madhuri Dixit or Hrithik Roshan they are all such fabulous dancers and great actors too, so I think both are possible.

You have done some extensive traveling and been globe over. Does this hippie lifestyle help deal with Bollywood unpredictability any better?
I guess since my childhood I have been living out of suitcase. Even before Kisna I used to go on 3 months tour so I am very used to living this unpredictable lifestyle. I have never had any time cycles. I can go without sleeping all night and I can sleep all day; I have no eating cycles either. I am so used to being a traveler. I never face jetlags; my parents say I am like a fish I can fit in anywhere.

If you had to choose between acting and dancing as a full time profession which would you choose?
I couldn't choose between the two. I wouldn't be happy if I gave up either of them.

Are you open to doing choreography assignments in Bollywood?
I don't think I am ready to do choreography per se. I have been dancing from several years and if I have to do choreography I would like to do something very different, if I would copy somebody else or do extension of my mother's work which I appreciate so much; then I don't think its worth getting in to. When I can give more than what my mother has already given I will get into choreography.

Unlike all the actresses you have a diverse lifestyle how do you cope with the changes you face in Mumbai and your hometown.
I have to be honest that it has been difficult; it's not an easy thing. But that I am in the present situation I have learnt to take best out of both the cities. When I am in Mumbai I love hanging out with my friends, going out for coffee and partying and I enjoy it more. When I am back home I enjoy the solitude, I am a very shy person and it takes me time to open up. Even if I am home for 10 days I don't leave my house. For 8 hours I am in the studio, so it's a very focused life at home. I value what I have in Kerala much more.

What types of films do you want to work in?
Everything, why would I want to stereotype myself? I would love to do art cinema, I would love to do another big banner, I would love to do Bengali cinema, I think end of the day what is important is that you do good movies, it doesn't matter what genre of film they are, whether they are commercial or art. Who wouldn't want to do a Chopra film or a Karan Johar film, but the point is will they take me…it's a different ball game altogether.

What are your shortcomings as a Hindi film actress?
Someone told me that what my shortcoming could be that I don't want money or fame badly enough.

What do you think is your strength?
Well, I think my physicality will definitely be a plus point in terms of my dancing skills and then it's also for others to decide as time goes by.

What has been your most memorable performance?
I am very scared of heights, I remember doing a show in London outside the National theatre where they hung me up a crane and I performed 40 feet above the Waterloo Bridge. Hanging 40-45 feet above the water I was terrified during the rehearsals but that was one of the most memorable performances too because I overcame my fears.

-misha IF-Sizzlerz
-misha
-misha

Posted: 02 March 2005 at 3:13am | IP Logged
thanx for the article
Khushalay Goldie
Khushalay
Khushalay

Posted: 02 March 2005 at 6:37am | IP Logged
i like her for her dance she has EXTRAORDINARY "lachak" in her body...she is damn good.
*~Sapna~* IF-Rockerz
*~Sapna~*
*~Sapna~*

Posted: 02 March 2005 at 8:11am | IP Logged
thanks for sharing
  • Page 1 of 1

Go to top