Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

~LiL*PrInCeZ~ thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
yea aparna di i agree with you there are billions of ppl all over the wrld u really cant change all of thm but if all of these billions of ppl decide to change thmselves and they r more open 2 changes thn the wrld can b a better place
none of this can b done w.o education...we need 2 learn abt other religions as well as our own so tht there r no misconceptions and v rnt ignorant
Aparna_BD thumbnail
I am still awaiting a detailed response from Jav and hope to see some responses .
~LiL*PrInCeZ~ thumbnail
ohh...well that response wat about 6 paragraphs and i dun remember what i wrote so 4get abt it

and yea this is a good topic but no1 is posting anything

others post stuff so i can reply 2 them
cutiepie1 thumbnail
This is the first time I am visiting this section and I have to say that I have really started to love it..really interesting discussions..

Coming to the topic, I honestly don't have anything against any religion, but somewhere deep down I always ponder why are there various religions..? to create communal tensions..? and be used by our politicians to divide us ? Don't all religions essentially teach the same thing ?

I have been to almost all religious places except mosque, somehow it didn't happen..not that I don't want to go..I have had friends from almost all religions and I don't think religion was a barrier ever..

I don't try or have ever read any religion's books including Gita..Guess I am too lazy to read books.. I visit any holy place just for my belief and not to be part of any religion..
Morgoth thumbnail

~ Should we not tell our religous heads that we do not favour such discrimination and it is for the good a religon that we must open our doors to our holy places to people who are non - beleivers ???

To an extent I agree that religious institutions should be open to all, because if God truly is ONE, we should not limit worship to a segregated group of people.

However, there are other reasons why some religions do not allow others into their holy places -- fear of being persecuted by an invading country/religion, the fact that a "non-believer" may not necessarily understand the practices...E.g. In many religions, menstruation is regarded as impure and women in such circumstances are not allowed to enter temples, etc.

~ Do you agree/ disagree with my points on how WE personally could help do away with religous intolerance ? Do you have any points you'd like to add ?

I agree with most of your points, Aparna. I think that taking a course on World Religion can really broaden one's horizons - you learn to appreciate the complexities in another person's faith.

~ Have you personally taken any step on your side that helps in doing away with religous intolerance ????????

Not really, to be honest. What I would like to do is allow for more conversion into religions like Zoroastrianism which are completely closed off to others who would like to convert and are as a result near to extinction.

~ Should we voice our concerns towards Countries like Saudi Arabia that is religously highly intolerant and ask them to allow other religons to practise their religon freely ?

I dont think that voicing our concerns would work. Be it in KSA or any other country which follows the same policy. Open-mindedness to other religions only arises when people are dissatisfied with the existing religion.

KSA is a wealthy and powerful country. No one can enforce it to listen to the views of a minority. However, the advancements are being propelled by Muslims themselves. Especially Muslim women who are voicing their own concerns with some restrictions imposed by the government on them - i.e. restriction on driving, no participation/discussion in politics.

It is going to be a very slow process for secularism to come into a country like KSA.

~LiL*PrInCeZ~ thumbnail
good response mysti di..i totally agree...

yea we really should get to know about other religions because it will broaden our understanding and it will prevent us from being ignorant.

although we should get to know about other religions and stuff i dont think we should ever try to unify them. each religion has its own history and traditions and they cannot be combined because they often contradict each other. we all have the right to belief and practice what we want but i dont think we should use this as a barrier. we are a culturally enriched world and we tend to take that forgranted. instead for fighting over differences we should learn from them so that we know about different religions and cultures. maybe this will make us respect it more