Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 24 January 2006 at 8:31am | IP Logged
Hi Debators, Religous intolerance is rampant in many parts of the world . We know its wrong and we should be tolerant of all religons . But i was wondering what can " we" as a community do to do away with this dangerous trend of religous intolerance .

I had some suggestions and wanted to share it with you . Many of us have misunderstood some religon at some time or the other and often have stereo types and misconceptions . So can we possible open our hearts and try and understand a different religon with respect.

1) Like read about the religon from a book (that isn't biased) that explains the customs , its meaning ,prayers and basic fundamentals.

2)Sit with a religous head ( a guru , cleric, priest ) to follow what the religon teaches .

3 ) Read the holy book- Geeta ,Quran , Bible etc  with translation  and appreciate the meanings .

4) Make friends of different faith and constructively disscuss religon.

5) ) Visit the house of worship and join in the prayer so that we can understand how god can be reached through different means ( not just by the religon you practise)

As of now i was able to just think of 5 basic points . Personally i often do point no :1 , i.e read about other religons . I wanted to share with you the current book i am reading : "Standing alone in Mecca"- Asra Q.Nomani .
This is a very interesting , thought proviking book that compelled me to post . Its how a Indian Muslim who wants to learn about all religons - goes to visit different cities and places of worship and tries to understand Hindusim , Christainty ,Buddhism etc . She is told by Dalai Lama that now she must explore her own religon and go for a Hajj to Mecca !!!!! Her spirtual experiences are worth reading .

My only reservation is that one will not face any problems with 4 points. But the 4th point , visiting a holy shrine is the tough one . Many religons do not open their doors to non- believers . I think if they did so they would allow a better understanding of their religon . I personaly would like to join in Muslim prayer but i understand Mosques do not allow this . (At least Mecca doesnot) . Also there is a Hindu temple"Pashupathinath" in Nepal that doesn't allow non - Hindus and i do not support the discrimination . Although i have not heard of any Church that disallows non - Christians ( but i may be wrong) . Nor does the "Golden Temple" - the Vatican for Sikhs disallow non - Sikhs.

~ Should we not tell our religous heads that we do not favour such discrimination and it is for the good a religon that we must open our doors to our holy places to people who are non - beleivers ???

~ Do you agree/ disagree with my points on how WE personally could help do away with religous intolerance ? Do you have any points you'd like to add ?

~ Have you personally taken any step on your side that helps in doing away with religous intolerance ????????

~ Should we voice our concerns towards Countries like Saudi Arabia that is religously highly intolerant and ask them to allow other religons to practise their religon freely ?

Please share your thoughts . I will keep adding as i think and research more.Smile
(Although this is a religous debate ........plz refrain from any attacks and there is no need to use a defensive tone like some Debators do since this isn't attacking any religon ...........but asking every one to open their hearts)

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Religous Intolerance- Can we do something" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 24 January 2006 at 11:08am | IP Logged
o.k this was going to pg 2 so i am pulling it up. Smile

sweet freedom

IF-Dazzler

sweet freedom

Posted: 24 January 2006 at 1:35pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by Aparna_BD

1) Like read about the religon from a book (that isn't biased) that explains the customs , its meaning ,prayers and basic fundamentals.

2)Sit with a religous head ( a guru , cleric, priest ) to follow what the religon teaches .

3 ) Read the holy book- Geeta ,Quran , Bible etc  with translation  and appreciate the meanings .

4) Make friends of different faith and constructively disscuss religon.

5) ) Visit the house of worship and join in the prayer so that we can understand how god can be reached through different means ( not just by the religon you practise)

i do all of themEmbarrassed

sweet freedom

IF-Dazzler

sweet freedom

Posted: 24 January 2006 at 1:38pm | IP Logged

My only reservation is that one will not face any problems with 4 points. But the 4th point , visiting a holy shrine is the tough one . Many religons do not open their doors to non- believers .

our primary school was right next to our mosque, that i went to...and our whole went there several times, to have a look around, and so ppl could see why some things were there and how we used them etc.

sweet freedom

IF-Dazzler

sweet freedom

Posted: 24 January 2006 at 1:40pm | IP Logged

Although i have not heard of any Church that disallows non - Christians

yr right there, ive been to church many times, and im not christian

sweet freedom

IF-Dazzler

sweet freedom

Posted: 24 January 2006 at 1:42pm | IP Logged

~ Should we voice our concerns towards Countries like Saudi Arabia that is religously highly intolerant and ask them to allow other religons to practise their religon freely ?

i dont know...cos maybe people would take disadvantage of the fact that they can go into religios places, u know wot i mean...

~LiL*PrInCeZ~

IF-Sizzlerz

~LiL*PrInCeZ~

--

Posted: 24 January 2006 at 5:02pm | IP Logged
nooooo

i wrote a loongggggggggg thing 4 this.....i spent 1/2 an hr on it...and wen i clicked post my comp froze Cry Cry Cry

ok so im mad Angry and dont have the patience 2 rewrote all tht maybe l8er i will

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 24 January 2006 at 5:31pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by ~PaKi*PrInCeZ~

nooooo

i wrote a loongggggggggg thing 4 this.....i spent 1/2 an hr on it...and wen i clicked post my comp froze Cry Cry Cry

ok so im mad Angry and dont have the patience 2 rewrote all tht maybe l8er i will

oh you poor thing . It happened to me while i finished a lengthy update . I swore such long things are best in word file .Tongue
Well do write in tommorow . Would love to read your views Jav.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top