Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

"My brothers have their niche, I'll....

*~Sapna~* IF-Rockerz
*~Sapna~*
*~Sapna~*

Posted: 01 March 2005 at 11:01am | IP Logged
"My brothers have their niche, I'll carve my own"- Abhay Deol

By IndiaFM News Bureau, February 17th, 2005 - 1400 hrs IST

He's not just another Deol from the khandan. Not that larger than life macho hero, this one is a regular boy next-door…Abhay Deol has arrived. Fourth from one of the most respected clans in the industry Abhay will make his debut in Socha Na Tha. We catch him on a lazy afternoon at his Juhu residence and here he is pouring out all that you wanted to know about this Deol dude!

How satisfying is Socha Na Tha as a debut?
I don't think I could have a better debut film than Socha Na Tha; it's been a great experience, it's been a great film and I am extremely satisfied. We all have put our heart and energies into this. It means the world to me right now… What can you say, its your baby, you want it to grow, you want it to be successful.

Tell us something about the film and the role you play?
Well I play a regular kid from the city, who is born and raised in Bombay like myself, gone to the States to study like myself and he is the kind of person who cannot live up to responsibilities. In the sense even in the film he makes mistakes and as a result of which he falls into trouble himself and creates trouble for others and instead of saying sorry or speaking about the situation he creates another situation, which is equally false. So he is a bit of an idiot I would say. The film is romantic, its light, it has its funny moments. It's not a very heavy, weighing you down kind of movie.

The film looks like a mushy love story, so do we see any Deol brand action in the film?
No not in this film because its not required in the script.

How was it working with Ayesha?
Well it was a good experience; it is definitely something that I will remember for the rest of my lifetime. Your first film is something that stays in your memory. She was 16 when we started and I was like 9 years older to her. But as things progressed I realized that the main thing is that the girl has talent and as far as the film goes I knew that we are really safe with her. And I have a great on screen chemistry with her, which shows. So it's been a nice experience and poor thing I gave her a hard time on the sets.

When did you decide to take up acting as a profession?
I was always into acting, I remember even in school I used to do theatre, it was always at the back of my mind. But I never pursued it I never thought that perhaps I would get into this. It was a thought and whether I do it or not well I was open. I used to sketch a lot so I was to do fine arts and do graphics initially. And I think somewhere around the age of 18 when I was in the middle of my fine arts course I decided that acting was what I want to do.

Does coming from a family deep-rooted in the industry make things easy?
It makes things easy in the sense that doors open for you easily, you already know people inside and even if you don't know them, you are going to meet them and they are going to say that he is so and so's son or brother so they meet you easily. But it ends there.

Have you signed any more films as yet?
At the moment I haven't signed anything, but I am reading two scripts both of which are quite nice actually. But I am going to take one step at a time. What happens in this industry is that you lose control of your career. I like to be in control as a person. I want to see how this film of mine does and then see which is the next best thing for me to do.

What are the kinds of films you are looking forward to do?
Films like these; where I get involved while reading the script, I am ready to do all kinds of films. I don't want to do films where I am portrayed larger than life. I don't want to do films where I am a hero, which one as a common man cannot be. I like real stuff; I like stuff that you can relate to. You know it doesn't matter to me if it's an action film or a dramatic film or a comedy. It just matters to me that the character is interesting, that I learn something from it or I am entertained by it.

Besides Imtiaz name one director you would have liked to debut with?
I am very happy with Imtiaz…but besides him, I have a friend in the industry who I want to work with. You wouldn't know him yet, his name is Vikramaditya Motwani. He is a great person and he is a friend of mine from school, he has some brilliant ideas and a brilliant script with me in mind. Anurag Kashyap is one I would have loved to debut with, Shreeram Raghavan who did Ek Hasina Thi had a film with me in mind. I hope he does it.

Sunny brought the macho look; Bobby the suave look to Bollywood, what do you think will be your USP?
I am waiting to see that what the audience thinks what my USP would be. I don't want to lay down that this is what it's going to be. But if I had to pick something I know that my strength lies in casualty, a certain vulnerability, just the way I go about things. I think that everything is so larger than life these days and I so much want to keep things grounded and real; if that clicks then that would be my USP. But I am not sure it could be anything tomorrow.

Any pressure due to the comparisons that may be drawn between the other Deols and you?
I don't like to be compared to my brothers; I think they have their own niche, I'll carve my own. But yes I get comparisons all the time, I don't really want them but I know that they will happen. You do feel the pressure sometimes, but then there are some people who are just there to compare you, but then some people surprise me and look at me as an individual. So it's just back and forth all the time.

popkurn IF-Rockerz
popkurn
popkurn

Posted: 01 March 2005 at 5:07pm | IP Logged
He looks just like Bobby, maybe not just, but close, thankz for sharingSmile
Ibad Senior Member
Ibad
Ibad

Posted: 01 March 2005 at 5:11pm | IP Logged
Thx
But I think this topic was posted earlier...
*~Sapna~* IF-Rockerz
*~Sapna~*
*~Sapna~*

Posted: 01 March 2005 at 6:52pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Ibad

Thx
But I think this topic was posted earlier...
ohh sorry then
  • Page 1 of 1

Go to top