Show is like Pride & Prejudice

kiranb06 thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
I just started watching this show about a month ago. One thing that struck me was that this show reminds me of the characters in Pride & Prejudice. Arnav is Mr. Darcy - arrogant, obnoxious, judgemental, an introvert, a rich snob, but good by heart though most people don't see it. Khushi is Elizabeth Bennett - a middle class gal who's vivacious, outspoken, genuine, generous by nature, an extrovert. 

Their chemistry and sparks are a replica of Mr. Darcy's and Elizabeths - from hate, to attraction, and possibly to love, though Arnav is fighting it just like Darcy due to her status (her aukat and haisiyat), and Khushi, like Lizzy, is fighting it due to his snobbiness and arrogance, but is now realizing that he may have some depth to his personality .

Even the secondary characters are similar - Payal is like Jane, Aakash is like Bingley - very nice, genuine, good people. Aakash's mom reminds me of Bingleys sister who wants him to marry a girl of status. Shyam reminds me of Wickham - the latter connivingly seduced Darcy's sister, while Shyam connivingly blinded Anjali in his love.

I've always loved pride & prejudice, and thats probably why I like this show a lot.
Edited by kiranb06 - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sun2011 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Thanks Kiran for your post - yes because of resemblances with P&P's Elizabeth and Darcy - I am hooked for the first time in my life:)
nikkiapril thumbnail
yes it was mentioned somewhere before the series began that it is on similar lines and many people on the forum have actually written about it. i suppose thats the reason why so many people are hooked on to it
sunena2293 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Pride & Prejudice is a much loved classic and so I love the analogy the show has with the book!
I didn't realize this before but you are right...they are very similar.
dramebaaz.af thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
exactly Kiran dii!! the story has an outline of Pride and Prejudice!! its one of my absolute favourite classic after Wuthering hights!! 
asmuasmi thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
really?? vent watch pride n prejustice so no idea abt it!
kitty25 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: sun2011

Thanks Kiran for your post - yes because of resemblances with P&P's Elizabeth and Darcy - I am hooked for the first time in my life:)

for the same reason i watch this show SUN... BBC tv serial p&p ..the best one
sandysinghal thumbnail
LOL! u ppl r amazing! i never read it... bit i think i'll hve 2!
MrDarcyfan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
TOTALLY agree! I saw the comparisons from day 1 when I started to watch the show! (which was also 1 month ago) Shaym is like Whikham...who everyone THINKS is nice, but really a "charachter Dheela" person...whereas Kushi accuses Arnav of being charachter Dheela and thinks Shyam is a great person. (just like Elizabeth did in the begining). Once she saw through him, she realised that Darcy was 100% better than him!

I think yes, the supporting cast also have parallels. Especially Akash and Payal and also Anjali (Darcy too was VERY devoted to his sister, even though she was younger than him). This story suits having an older sister. Darcy and Georgiana also have no parents, their parents have passed away and Darcy was the one who was always there for Georgie...they share a very special bond!

As my name indicates I am a HUGE Mr Darcy fan and fan of P & P and Jane Austen's work in general...therefore ANY story that resmbles P & P I am on board!