India-Forums

Other Shows
Other Shows

Crowning the IDOL

§IMP£¥ §TÙÑNÏÑG Goldie
§IMP£¥ §TÙÑNÏÑG
§IMP£¥ §TÙÑNÏÑG

Posted: 28 February 2005 at 3:13pm | IP Logged

Hey ppl got this article from a group i've joined...so thought to share it with u guys.......!

Crowning idol....

With excitement building over the final result announcement—on March 5—it's time to take a step back. Our correspondent tracks the Indian Idol journey
Final word

ANU MALIK composer
"When I saw people like the painter or the visually-challenged girl, it transported me to my days as a struggler. Before performing, the participants would sing a prayer together and some would touch my feet. That really brought tears to my eyes. I'm also human; to bless someone off-camera, then don the role of merciless judge was hard. It's been a humbling experience."

SONU NIGAM singer
"I usually don't cry in public, but couldn't control myself when Vaidya and Saxena were eliminated. As a singer, I was literally choosing my competitors. But this contest taught me to think very carefully before passing any judgements."

FARAH KHAN film-maker
''It isn't exactly my 'favourite' memory, but I can't forget the episode when Rahul Saxena was voted out. I never thought I'd become so emotionally attached to a contestant. As my interaction with Saxena was only during the show, I didn't realise how fond I'd become of him. Nevertheless, I'm signing him on to sing for my next film.''

I is for Idol
LIKE Sony's other recent hit, Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin, this too is a concept borrowed from the West. Fashioned on UK's Pop Idol, it held 21,000 auditions across the country, giving aspirants a chance to serenade style critic Farah Khan, tune tutor Sonu Nigam and burr-in-the-blanket Anu Malik. The mobile phone replaced the remote control as TV's power tool as the audience voted their favourite contestants to the top. According to Ekta Kapoor, creative director, Balaji Telefilms, ''It's changed the face of television, created a new audience and brought in interactive programming. I personally don't watch reality shows, but this one hit bullseye.'' Over two crore text messages have poured in from viewers, with the record being 30 lakh in a single night of polling—when Rahul Vaidya was eliminated. Ferociously promoted in cinema halls, on hoardings (one lakh of them) and even on car windshields, it had everyone from the cabbie to the corporate glued to their cell phones. They laughed and cried as contestants were voted out, and thronged the streets during public events, for a glimpse of their future celebrity.
Off record

• Mukesh Pancholi's entire village came together to buy one mobile phone and a single SIM card and walked 45 minutes to reach a signal zone. However, they did not know the 2525 number and kept sending the votes to his personal cell phone.
• Amit Sana was the first contestant to audition.
• When Punjab da putter Ravinder Ravi was on a winning streak, his fellow contestants used to share a joke about his popularity. The upside was that he always participated and laughed along
• Abhijeet Sawant is the only finalist who never had his photograph professionally taken.
• Apparently, every morning, Rahul Vaidya pays his respects to Sonu Nigam from his terrace, because Nigam's house is visible from there.

Underdog has his day
IF you thought a groovy voice, with-it attitude and killer looks were the prerequisites for a singing star, the Indian audience seems to believe otherwise. ''The country is very emotional,'' admits Rahul Vaidya, voted out of the top three despite presenting quite a complete stud package. Bewildered fans helplessly watched him being knocked out by all-India voters, raising record TRPs of 9.6. After her behenji-to-babe transformation, Prajakta Shukre seemed to have a sure shot at the title. But just as she was getting cool 'n' comfy, the audience decided her number was up. Instead, viewers retained Amit Sana and Abhijeet Sawant. And it helped that the former was nursing a sore throat on judgment day, while the latter flashed his endearing chocolate boy smile. Vote vibe
AS the messages poured in, the channel had to extend the time limit for voting, from 12.00 am to 1.00 am on the day of telecast. Rajiv Hiranandani, country head Mobile2Win, Sony's wireless partner, gives us the lowdown on the voting moves. • The largest number of messages to come in from a single number was about 80.
• On an average, viewers sent in three votes per mobile phone.
• Voting peaked between 9:30 pm and 12:30 am.

We wondered whether the unlimited SMSes per mobile scheme was a tad unfair on contestants whose fans weren't as obsessive. ''The rules are the same for all,'' points out creative director Sanjiv Sharma, ''Everyone knows competition's tough. And it's up to the fans to vote their favourite contestant in.''

Fan fare
I DON'T know how people have got our personal phone numbers,'' says a bemused Sana. His cell phone can't take more than 200 missed calls, and has crashed several times as a result. A day after the February 24 finale, the two were hounded with calls and messages—on one occasion, over 200 in under 15 minutes. ''I once got a message from a fan who said she'd voted 1,500 times for me,'' adds Sawant. Certified hottie Vaidya received a letter with hundreds of hearts—however the writer merely wanted to be his sister! ''My mother's also received six marriage proposals,'' he laughs. So far, the top three singers have received about a 1,000 letters in their support. Fans suggested songs and even expressed disapproval of the judges' decisions. Take-home gifts
Although, there can be just one Idol, many of the others have left the party with special gift hampers. Saxena has already been signed on for Khan's next film; and Vaidya's bagged a 20 lakh recording deal with Sony. Even painter Ravinder Ravi went home with Rs 60,000 in his account, a gift from ICICI bank. And Mukesh Pancholi, also from an impoverished background like Ravi, is being hosted in Versova, by production house Optymistix, till he gets his big break in the city.

greatmaratha IF-Sizzlerz
greatmaratha
greatmaratha

Posted: 28 February 2005 at 6:58pm | IP Logged
That was such a sweet article.  Thanks for sharing.....   It is so nice to read about all their experiences.  I am sure they must also be over whelmed by the whole affair, considering that some of them were very young...  whew, I dont know what I would have done if I were in their shoes.  And the story of mukesh pancholi's village voting for him and getting the number wrong is so heart warming.....  This is truly the face of the average common man from India......  
Selina IF-Sizzlerz
Selina
Selina

Posted: 28 February 2005 at 9:56pm | IP Logged
Thanks for sharing. Smile
pmahesh Goldie
pmahesh
pmahesh

Posted: 28 February 2005 at 10:06pm | IP Logged
Wonderful article and such touching stories that we have been part of for last 4 months!!!

Who-I-Used-2-Be IF-Rockerz
Who-I-Used-2-Be
Who-I-Used-2-Be

Posted: 01 March 2005 at 12:02am | IP Logged

Thnx for this lovely article..........it really is a touching story.......But y hasn't anybody signed Prajakta for anything?? Ouch Shes such a talented singer......

P.S: Reading that Rahul is a certified hottie brought a smile to my face.....Smile

greatmaratha IF-Sizzlerz
greatmaratha
greatmaratha

Posted: 01 March 2005 at 6:47am | IP Logged

I think Prajaktha's got some finishing to do and some more way to go.  Her best performance was aye mere watan ke logon.  I am not saying she was not good.  She was.  In fact, she also had all the ingrediants of an Indian Idol, but as a singer, she could do with some more experience and learing before lauching herself.  She would do better if she enters the rat race fully prepared and fully finished. 

greatmaratha IF-Sizzlerz
greatmaratha
greatmaratha

Posted: 01 March 2005 at 6:49am | IP Logged
Oh yes, reading about Vaidya certainly brought a smile to my face as well...  he was cute..........................
mere_pyaar Goldie
mere_pyaar
mere_pyaar

Posted: 02 March 2005 at 3:12pm | IP Logged
thanx for sharing!

Go to top