mfarhaniqbal33
mfarhaniqbal33

Posted: 28 February 2005 at 9:42am | IP Logged
Breaking norms: Varun goes grey
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   February 28, 2005

Shaheen Parkar
Varun Badola as Dev in Des Mein Niklla Hoga Chand
When most small screen stars have severe reservations turning old and grey post a generation leap in soaps, Varun Badola sees it as a challenge.

Most actors prefer to walk out of the show rather than play father/mother to grown-up children, but Badola deems it right to take on an older persona.

Tonight, Badola will be shown as the ageing Dev who resurfaces in the Star Plus weekly Des Mein Niklla Hoga Chand. Here he tells us why he is glad to be grey…

In Des… your new look is completely distinct from the earlier Dev?
That's the point. It has to be distinct. First, I am back in the story after a long period of time.

So it's normal to be shown as a completely different character. Dev is a sardar in a gurudwara. I have to appear they way the kar sevaks look in a gurudwara. Moreover, the character has had a memory loss. He can't be depicted neat and tidy.

Badola's earlier avatar
There has to be that dishevelled look. In the gurudwara, everyone sports long beards. I can't be the only one around with a trimmed beard.

Remember they are not allowed to cut their hair. So I am just following the normal course.

Why do actors refuse to be shown older when the story demands it?
I can't speak on behalf of others; that's their problem. I have no issues here. I see it as a challenge; for me it is the normal course. I would not like to chicken out of such a situation. I will stand up to the new challenge of the storyline.

For me, it's an opportunity to do something distinct. In the end, it is just a character. I am not playing Varun Badola, but that character.

Most stars feel playing an older character affects their career. Moreover, the actors playing the 'children' are as old as themselves or even older!
It is only a character; you are only acting at the end of the day. People know who I am and how I look.

Yes, the 'children' could be older or their same age. That's how things are. But then again you are only acting. In another project, I could be playing a younger role.

Your other soap Astitva (Zee), too, is poised to take an 18-year leap? What will be your look be in this soap?
It will again be a completely new persona. I don't mind turning fully white, leave alone grey to suit the role and storyline.

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

• Please login to check your Last 10 Topics posted

Check these Celebrity also

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index