TWO GOOD

Starryskies Groupbie
Starryskies
Starryskies

Posted: 28 February 2005 at 8:36am | IP Logged

TWO GOOD
By Sudha Mukerjee (TV Talk)

28 February 2005
It's not every day that music composer Anu Malik forgets his poetry but he did just that during the much awaited grand finale of Indian Idol (Sony) after Amit Sana's inspiring performance.

Amit won more favour from the judges last Thursday but Abhijeet Sawant seems to have an edge going by the various opinion polls splashed in the media. Fact is, both are terrific and it is now left to the Indian janta to decide which of these two talented CITY TIMESyoung men will become the Idol. It is no longer about who is more talented or the overall better package, it's only about whom the public loves more. Both finalists have their ardent supporters, it's now up to them to vote in droves. All credit to both Amit and Abhijeet (who were the opening act in Saturday's Filmfare Awards and later, interestingly, seated just behind Udit Narayan) for going out there week after week under such punishing circumstances and continuing to do an outstanding job. It's a pity that only one will win. Is there any way we can have two Indian Idols instead of one!

JUST DESSERTS

Not exactly renowned for his acting abilities, he's proving to be the dark horse in Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin (Sony). All of a sudden, Apoorva Agnihotri has sprung into histrionic action and is indulging viewers with nuances we didn't know he possessed. Clearly, being in love has done Armaan Sir some good. Ever since he discovered that he is madly besotted with Jassi, Apoorva has been a delight to watch. From his gobsmacked expression when he first realises that he is in love to his persistent pestering to drive home this point to his long-suffering and disillusioned lady love, Apoorva has been quite a treat. Last seen, Jassi had finally left Gulmohur and was all set to leave for Mauritius on a new assignment. Not long now for the much hyped makeover. Viewers have high expectations and we hope it's worth the wait.

GUNS AND RUSES

Flaunted as a murder weapon in Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, Kumkum-Pyara Sa Bandhan and Ayushmaan, the gun was the favourite prop in several soaps last week. More in line with a super cop than a super homemaker, the heroine of Kumkum even orchestrated a 'fake encounter' to entrap the villain. That's woman power in soaps for you. Speaking of Kyunki, Tulsi mata is now decaying in jail and to make sure we got the point, there were split screen images of Tulsi the woman and tulsi the plant, both withering away! As for Ayushmaan, the best part of the serial used to be the endearing Vinod Singh, who previously played the title role. Now that he has been replaced by the less talented Sudeep Sahir — who looks like a younger version of Cezanne Khan — most of the charm has gone.

OVER TO YOU

Madhuri Bhatia, by e-mail, writes, "Seeing the trailers of Shabd on television, my family lost all interest in going to watch the film in the theatre. We were all great fans of Aishwarya Rai, but after seeing her bold scenes, we felt like she is now not at all unique, and can be equalised with floozies like Mallika Sherawat. I thought Ash will do something different from these other actresses, but she has failed to do so. I don't know how the parents of these girls are able to watch their daughters on screen like this. Instead of living with such money, these parents should go and die. Waiting to see some good films where actresses are not in skimpy clothes."

Kavita Chadha of Bahrain writes, "Now that the finale of Indian Idol is over, there's one thing that I would like to say. It's about Ravinder Ravi, the controversial finalist. Granted that he had all those negative points but I really felt that the judges should have been less harsh on him and harsher on themselves — didn't they bring him on in the Top 12? So how could they sit back and criticise him later? How could they point accusing fingers at him and the audience sympathy which brought him votes? What I want to know is: Didn't they bring him on because of the same sympathy? Not that I particularly liked Ravinder but it's just something I wanted to say."

Rumi Goldie
Rumi
Rumi

Posted: 28 February 2005 at 10:53am | IP Logged
 thanks starry for your article! i am really happy o know that apurva's actingskill is being discussed in other places also,i mean, other than IF! Embarrassed!!!!!!
Daisy Senior Member
Daisy
Daisy

Posted: 28 February 2005 at 11:14am | IP Logged
Thanks starryskies..I am soooooooo happy too..finally they noticed! Clap
jprasad IF-Rockerz
jprasad
jprasad

Posted: 28 February 2005 at 11:32am | IP Logged
hooooooorrrraaaayyyyy!     Big smile   about time they noticed and
recognized!
jingle IF-Rockerz