India-Forums

Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat
Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

oscar winners (Page 2)

Singh23 IF-Dazzler
Singh23
Singh23

Posted: 28 February 2005 at 1:44pm | IP Logged
no ash wasn't there at all, i'm sure we would have heard something if she was there, i watched the whole thing and i'm sure she wasn't there. her being there was just a rumour, besides she's not famous enough in hollywood to warrent being there

Singh23 IF-Dazzler
Singh23
Singh23

Posted: 28 February 2005 at 1:50pm | IP Logged
an indian movie may not have won an oscar but a movie about india did win the best documentary went to a movie called "Born into Brothels".  it wasn't made by indians.   LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - In a brief respite from Hollywood's annual feast of glitz and glamour on Sunday, the children of prostitutes in Calcutta's red light district were celebrated with an Oscar for the movie they helped to make, "Born into Brothels." The movie, written and directed by Zana Briski and Ross Kauffman, landed the best documentary feature Oscar. The children were given cameras so they could learn photography and possibly improve their lives. Much of their work was used in the movie. The documentary beat out box office hits "Super Size Me," an attack on U.S. fast food restaurants, and "Tupac: Resurrection," which tells of murdered rapper Tupac Shakur using his own words. "We thank the kids, they are watching in Calcutta," Briski said during her acceptance speech. "We were in Calcutta two weeks ago. They were so excited," Briski told reporters backstage. Briski, a British-born photographer, said she was planning a return trip to Calcutta. "We're actually planning to build a school in Calcutta specifically for the children of prostitutes and we're going back to look for land," she said. Both Briski and Kauffman were first time filmmakers. The widely acclaimed documentary won a string of accolades including the audience award for a documentary at the Sundance Film Festival where it was also nominated for the Grand Jury prize in that category. "We haven't made a dime yet," Kauffman told reporters. "We definitely believe in the underdog. We had no idea what was going to happen. We're really still stunned I think," Briski added. Also nominated in the category were "The Story of the Weeping Camel," which looks at the lives of Mongolian nomads and "Twist of Faith," a story about a firefighter who suffered sexual abuse as a child by a Catholic priest.

The most high-profile film in the category this year, Michael Moore's anti-Bush "Fahrenheit 9/11" was not entered. Moore chose instead to seek consideration in the best film category but failed to be nominated.

samir_soni Goldie
samir_soni
samir_soni

Posted: 28 February 2005 at 8:31pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by Singh23

no ash wasn't there at all, i'm sure we would have heard something if she was there, i watched the whole thing and i'm sure she wasn't there. her being there was just a rumour, besides she's not famous enough in hollywood to warrent being there

LOLLike the one about "Bond" movies? Comon Aishwarya, aur kinta jhoot bologi? Aab baas bhi karo nah!

Singh23 IF-Dazzler
Singh23
Singh23

Posted: 28 February 2005 at 9:07pm | IP Logged
LOL good one

Go to top