Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Parents as best friends? (Page 2)

White-Rose IF-Sizzlerz
White-Rose
White-Rose

Posted: 26 September 2011 at 7:42am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Summer3

Perhaps a girl and a mum and a son and a dad can be on more friendly terms as time goes.
Dads give in to daughters easily as a mum does to a son.
Parents should always be respected no matter how friendly the terms are.

undoubtedly parents should always be respected whether they r friendly or not. Between the age of 16 and 25 people need someone of their age to understand them, here i dont mean parents cannot understand their children as parents r first one to understand our language when we even dont know how to speak. But at certain age we need someone of our age. As i said there r certain things we cant discuss with our parents and certain situation comes in our life which caanot discuss with our parents nor can take their advice. Its easy to say my parents r my best frd but its easy to share everything with ur parents.?
White-Rose IF-Sizzlerz
White-Rose
White-Rose

Posted: 26 September 2011 at 7:49am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Rapier

No, I do not think a parent should be a child/teen's friend. Whether they can or cannot is another matter. A parent needs to have authority over their child/teen to teach them from right or wrong. If they become their "friend," you lose all that control. you don't have any power to change them. Sure, you will know more about them because they will open up to you, but what good is it knowing what you child/teen is up to, if you do not have the power to get them to change? You lose that authority that a parent MUST have over every child/teen. parents should respect their child/teen, but not become friends, because that will blur the line and it will put the parents on the same level as the child/teen, making the child/teen think that they don't have to listen to their parents.

However, like Prometeus said, when a child/teen becomes old enough that they do not need to be under control, parents can and should become friends. A friend who is there to guide you and stand by you no matter what. You should be free from that 'authority' at this point and should make your own decisions. and a parent, at this point of your life, should be nothing more than a friend.
Exactly this is my point. The age between 16 to 25 is the age where u need a friend of ur age and that cant be parents. Not because parents cannot be friendly with their children but if they becomes their friend it means loosing control over them because friend cannot control another friend. Yes its possible to be friendly with parents after certain age for eg. after marriage.
Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 26 September 2011 at 7:50am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -ASTHA-

Originally posted by Summer3

Perhaps a girl and a mum and a son and a dad can be on more friendly terms as time goes.
Dads give in to daughters easily as a mum does to a son.
Parents should always be respected no matter how friendly the terms are.

undoubtedlyparents should always be respected whether they r friendly or not. Between the age of 16 and 25 people need someone of their age to understand them, here i dont mean parents cannot understand their children as parents r first one to understand our language when we even dont know how to speak. But at certain age we need someone of our age. As i said there r certain things we cant discuss with our parents and certain situation comes in our life which caanot discuss with our parents nor can take their advice. Its easy to say my parents r my best frd but its easy to share everything with ur parents.?

Yes some things are a secret and kids may not want to worry the parents. But it is good to seek parent's advice on certain important matters and also if trouble is brewing.
Alternatively speak to an elder sis or close relative.
Some parents only scold and never listen tooLOL
these days if both parents are working long hours the poor kids suffer.
Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 26 September 2011 at 7:52am | IP Logged
Hey you do not need a new thread for thisLOL
Duplicate
epiphany. IF-Sizzlerz
epiphany.
epiphany.

Crazy Creative Minion

Posted: 26 September 2011 at 9:09am | IP Logged
Well, this is not the mass parent you are talking about, this is by all means the Indian kind of parent you are referring to. Parents in the US are different, much different than those in India, for example. Now then, it is more like the level you come to down to so as to establish healthy communication between you and your children, that is that and most parents I have seen don't do that over here. I am not maintaining a west-influenced stance or anything, though. As a matter of fact, in any part of the world, my parents would not have been my best friends. 

On a personal front, fearing parents is really just in your head, there. Half the time they go soft in the unlikeliest of situations, like when you feel you'd be doomed. Fearing parents isn't good for our rapport with them. It ain't feasible to talk romantic interests with parents in India to the common ones because communication is not an essential part of most's parenting. 

Best friend is a very precarious concept to me, devastating all most, so parents cannot really be your best friends in here, I think because well, most believe in the silence is golden proverb, mine do. So, well, parents as best friends? No.  Geek

Go to top