TechTalk & Personal Computing Guide
TechTalk & Personal Computing Guide

Hackers can turn your mouse against you

cdesai12 Goldie
cdesai12
cdesai12

Posted: 26 February 2005 at 4:10pm | IP Logged
Hackers can turn your mouse against you

There used to be a time when you could take certain things for granted. When you put your mouse over a link on a Web page, and the Web address showed up in your status bar, you'd expect the link to take you there. These days, even that is not the case anymore.

reports a problem in IE in which a link you hover over with your mouse appear legitimate in the status bar. If you right-click such a link and open its Properties dialog box, a legitimate URL appears there, too. Despite this, the link would actually go to a completely different page. This could fool you into landing on a hacker site, which could steal your personal information or try other hacker tricks.

SecurityFocus has available that could easily be cut and pasted into a live Web page. I gave them a try myself, and found the exploit easy to setup.

While I was testing these things, I received a security warning from IE 6 SP2 browser when the page loaded. This version of IE was intelligent enough to know something was up, but all I had to do was dismiss the warning and the exploits worked like a charm.

What to do: The discovery of this is pretty new. The best suggestion I have, if you must use IE to visit random Web sites, is to follow the IE hardening guidelines detailed in the , issue of the Windows Secrets Newsletter. This should minimize the risk of this problem.

For more information and updates on this IE vulnerability, check out the at SecuerityFocus.

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top