Bade Acche Laggte Hai

Winds of change on telly themes

Armu4eva thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

• September 25, 2011 
  • By A.L. Chougule

Here's evidence: A mature love story (Bade Achhe Lagte Hain); a relationship between two people from different generations (Kuch To Log Kahenge); a mature protagonist who reflects on his past and resurrects his life (Parichay); a family drama that addresses issues confronting the new generation (Navya) and a rich brat discovering love and family responsibilities after marrying into a middle-class household (Sasural Genda Phool). These are some the shows which stand out amidst the clutter of overblown sentimentality and herald the winds of change that will free television from run-of-the-mill family dramas.

"Television fiction has entered an interesting phase. The audience is asking for change. When a 40-year-old man is accepted trying to find love with a 30-plus woman, it means that viewers want to watch realistic stuff," says Sony's business head Sneha Rajani. Apparently, Sony wanted to make Kuch To Log Kahenge for the last two years but hesitated till the success of Bade Achhe Lagte Hain. "It was kept on the backburner for two years but we fast-tracked it because if you want viewers to see your shows then you'd better give them something different," admits Sneha.

Producer Rajan Shahi of Bidaai, Yeh Rihsta Kya Kehlata Hai, Havan and Kuch To Log Kahenge says these are exciting times for television. "I tried to be different in Bidaai and Yeh Rishta, now I am trying to be more experimental with Havan and Kuch To Log Kahenge. If the trend succeeds then producers and channels will be encouraged to explore fresh narratives," he adds.

Sanjay Upadhyay, senior TV director and ex-channel programmer, says the winds of change started blowing with Balika Vadhu. "It broke the stereotype but unfortunately channels and producers misunderstood it as solely an issue-based show. The result was a slew of hard-hitting and dark stories of poverty and regressive values," he observes. But the audience was ready for path-breaking, innovative themes. This was evident in shows like Aap Ki Antara, 12/24 Karol Bagh and Sasural Genda Phool, which caught the attention of viewers. "People didn't talk about them much because they were not trendsetters. But they were catalysts of change," says Sanjay.

Producer Siddharth Tewari of Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Hi Kijo, Navya and Phulwa feels viewers are always open to different stories and interesting narratives. Rajan and Sanjay feel that these transformational winds will gather momentum. "Saath Nibhana Saathiya, Mrs. Kaushik Ki Paanch Bahuyen and Pratigya kind of shows will always be there. But the signs of movement are clearly visible," says Sanjay.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

rajh thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
most serials start with bang.refreshing concepts,

but when story progresses they revert back to same same old tracks.

does now you find any difference between ektas other serials and balh??
ashi4567 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Thnx for the articale... BALH is different show 
pesi11 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
I partially agree with this article ...i watch most of the serials they mention here...n wat is thr new in yrkkh
..same drama daily...thier misunderstandings n saas-bahu drama whr the so called saas is a torture to watch
.testing the viewers patience ... i am thinking balh is turning slowly into old tracks...how can thr be somany evils one house...ufff.sucks..sick niharika
stardust- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5

Here's evidence: A mature love story (Bade Achhe Lagte Hain); a relationship between two people from different generations (Kuch To Log Kahenge); a mature protagonist who reflects on his past and resurrects his life (Parichay); a family drama that addresses issues confronting the new generation (Navya) and a rich brat discovering love and family responsibilities after marrying into a middle-class household (Sasural Genda Phool). These are some the shows which stand out amidst the clutter of overblown sentimentality and herald the winds of change that will free television from run-of-the-mill family dramas.

"Television fiction has entered an interesting phase. The audience is asking for change. When a 40-year-old man is accepted trying to find love with a 30-plus woman, it means that viewers want to watch realistic stuff," says Sony's business head Sneha Rajani. Apparently, Sony wanted to make Kuch To Log Kahenge for the last two years but hesitated till the success of Bade Achhe Lagte Hain. "It was kept on the backburner for two years but we fast-tracked it because if you want viewers to see your shows then you'd better give them something different," admits Sneha.

Producer Rajan Shahi of Bidaai, Yeh Rihsta Kya Kehlata Hai, Havan and Kuch To Log Kahenge says these are exciting times for television. "I tried to be different in Bidaai and Yeh Rishta, now I am trying to be more experimental with Havan and Kuch To Log Kahenge. If the trend succeeds then producers and channels will be encouraged to explore fresh narratives," he adds.

Sanjay Upadhyay, senior TV director and ex-channel programmer, says the winds of change started blowing with Balika Vadhu. "It broke the stereotype but unfortunately channels and producers misunderstood it as solely an issue-based show. The result was a slew of hard-hitting and dark stories of poverty and regressive values," he observes. But the audience was ready for path-breaking, innovative themes. This was evident in shows like Aap Ki Antara, 12/24 Karol Bagh and Sasural Genda Phool, which caught the attention of viewers. "People didn't talk about them much because they were not trendsetters. But they were catalysts of change," says Sanjay.

Producer Siddharth Tewari of Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Hi Kijo, Navya and Phulwa feels viewers are always open to different stories and interesting narratives. Rajan and Sanjay feel that these transformational winds will gather momentum. "Saath Nibhana Saathiya, Mrs. Kaushik Ki Paanch Bahuyen and Pratigya kind of shows will always be there. But the signs of movement are clearly visible," says Sanjay.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/channels/showbiz/tv-guide/winds-change-telly-themes-849

mods can close if already posted :)

April2007 thumbnail
BALH is copy of Harlequin romance novel..rich older man and a pretty young girl from lower middle class and evil step mother and her children taking advantage of rich older man..

I don't see anything new or even a decent story..the story is totally a fairy tale and stupid..very far removed from real life..Indian serials have a very long way to go.right now they are churning out crap..
maris08 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Thanz for sharing tanu. Sure BALH is different, as long AS EK dosent spoil the show by overtly showcasing  the schemes and machinations of saaz and dewar.
anjubala thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Thnx for sharing...
This is not related to this show but still wanted to write it:-

Why Chand Chupa Badal Mein is never mentioned in the list of shows produced by Rajan Shahi???It was his show that just ended but he never gave importance to it and hence it ended with so many open tracks...I am very upset with Rajan Shahi for this...This was my favorite show...
Sorry girls for me ranting here about it...